Opening Times

Rich

Having done Port Aventura's 'White Night'...I really felt Thorpe Park could do the same.Ā 

I know we don't have the temperatures or weather to do it...but the idea is fantastic and could suit Thorpe Park Resort very well.Ā 

Ā 

Not saying that keeping the park open until 4AM would work but until Midnight/1ish would be a fantastic idea...for special occasions once or twice in the summer.Ā 

Ā 

What made it different was the festival/party atmosphere...the lights change everything...when I went there was a Brazilian theme, hence Brazilian Drummers and dancers travelling around the park with their loud drums, which really kept everyone going, and having a great time. Imagine, Thorpe could do much the same...but probably more likely in close links with their music (Ministry of Sound) partnership.Ā 

Ā 

I know they already do Summer Nights and Clubbing Nights...but keeping the park open perhaps once in the summer would make it THE place to be.Ā 

Ā 

It was a great way to start the Summer Season at the park. And I think Thorpe Park could do the same, with live music being played throughout the evening across the park...Perhaps the street performances/stunts, etc, etc.Ā 

Ā 

It is a certain way to capitalise on selling rooms, Fastrack and most importantly...Food...with such a long period people will almost be forced to buy not only lunch but dinner as well.Ā 

Ā 

Logistically it is a nightmare...but it certainly pays dividends and done right could be the next best thing to Fright Night...with a themed party atmosphere.Ā 

This also offers the opportunity for a more substantial 'Evening Ticket'

Ā 

I know most will just argue...Summer Nights is fine. But in reality you have to experience a White Night for yourself...and it is a lot of fun...and you certainly feel a different atmosphere. Especially with the foam parties and stages across the park, really was special...not forgetting also that it is a surreal world to be going to a major attraction at half 2 in the morning!Ā 

Ā 

I know most will just argue...Summer Nights is fine. But in reality you have to experience a White Night for yourself...and it is a lot of fun...and you certainly feel a different atmosphere. Especially with the foam parties and stages across the park, really was special...not forgetting also that it is a surreal world to be going to a major attraction at half 2 in the morning!Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Could you stop with that, most here don't argue, we discuss the pros and cons of an idea or what is going on in the parks.

Ā 

I agree with your idea. I don't think 4am is a good idea as we just don't have the warm climate for it (and Thorpe doesn't have the facilities to properly accommodate it) but a 9am-midnight closure is a great idea.

The main trouble with this would be the locals and the council - Thorpe have the agreement to have rides stop at 11pm Monday-Saturday and 10pm on Sundays. Ā Plus they've got the opening of the Dome till 3am for 42 times a year. Ā Taking everything into consideration, Thorpe have it good. Ā But trying to open any later just seems to difficult to negotiate; they have to keep the locals happy, and I imagine a fair few will be against having rides open until midnight on the sheer principle of it all. Ā 

Ā 

The last time Thorpe stayed fully open past 10pm was 11 years ago now; all other times (ie Summer Nights and MoS), they've only had a few rides open and marketed as a separate event altogether). Ā I do believe back in 2006/2007 there were plans for opening until midnight (when I think the agreement with the council was different), but they were cancelled? Ā To have the full park open beyond 10pm, and have it marketed to everybody, is a very different kettle of fish in terms of Thorpe being allowed to do it, especially nowadays. Ā 

Ā 

I do think that Thorpe would be one of the best parks in the UK to be open very late, but I just can't see it ever happening, more because of the restrictions on the park than the park's own wants.

Whilst many would love longer opening hours till midnight or similar, it's not financially viable at the moment from a business point of view. The park on most occasions empties out an hour before close, most noticeably at Fright Nights which is open till 10pm. However, never say never what with the 9pm close of a few rides last summer on non Summer Nights and of Summer Nights itself. It's not impossible and they have slowly been testing the waters it would seem (I guess the next step would be for next summer the park to open till 8pm with Summer Nights on Fridays and Saturdays being 8-11). They could try get it through the council, maybe with a term of just over the summer period and Fright Nights. Never say never (also, weren't for the first few MoS the rides open 9-12? Because I remember it changing to 8-11).

• 1 month later...

Was at Thorpe Park yesterday with the family so didn't stay late.

Ā 

However, looking at the Thorpe Park Twitter feed, it appears there were huge problems getting out of the car park last night!

Several tweets sent to the park at about 19.30 were claiming they had been stuck in the car park for an hour, and there car bleeping their horns and drivers getting very angry etc!! :blink:

Ā 

Anyone know what happened?

It was very odd yesterday at closing. Unlike normal when people start leaving early a lot of people were still in the park at closing. Colossus and saw finished the day with a 30 and 90 minute queue. Nemesis I think also had a 30 minute queue. I have never seen so many people in the car park at the time we left and it was causing a very large queue. However it only took about 20 minutes to leave so claiming an hour is exaggerating.

It was very odd yesterday at closing. Unlike normal when people start leaving early a lot of people were still in the park at closing. Colossus and saw finished the day with a 30 and 90 minute queue. Nemesis I think also had a 30 minute queue. I have never seen so many people in the car park at the time we left and it was causing a very large queue. However it only took about 20 minutes to leave so claiming an hour is exaggerating.

Everyone leaving at closing suggests that they should have been open later...

It depends where you are in the car park as to how long it takes to leave - if you are right at the back then it could take an hour longer!

• 1 month later...

It's the John lewis Partnership takeover day tomorrow evening. Thats probably the reason its closing early.

That's quite poor to be honest to close the park to guests for such an event.

Ā 

It did on Passholder Day this year in march

They extended to 5pm on the Sunday, but I wasn't there on the Saturday.

That's quite poor to be honest to close the park to guests for such an event.

The park is usually dead at this time of the season (quite possibly the quietest time of the season). I don't think closing an hour earlier will make much difference to anyone's day (even if it's a bit of a shame).

• 2 months later...

One thing which won't be New for 2015 is opening times, which remain very similar to last:

https://www.thorpepark.com/resort-information/getting-here-opening-times/

Ā 

http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/06-01-2015/2015-Opening-Times-Revealed

Ā 

They're good opening times all-in-all. Ā I assume Summer Nights will return 7-10pm as well, keeping good summer times. Ā The only thing I'm disappointed with is that more Fright Nights dates weren't added - I would have thought the popularity of the event would have encouraged them to try more weekday dates to be honest!

Good relative to the other merlin parks. Globally they are still terrible. They should be open till 9 or 10pm in the summer. That would attract more guests as there day wont be as rushed and queues will be shorter as people wont feel the need to stay the whole day. People would be willing to travel further if the park was open from 10 till 9. All merlin parks are stupid for not doing it and I see this year they are all just sticking with the same as last year. Its not even from just an enthusiasts perspective it also makes more sense in a business perspective. I'm sure the more guests and better customer satisfaction would lead to more income to overcome the increased running costs and result in more profit.Ā 

Guests don't stay for longer, thats the problem. Alton and Thorpe have proved constantly that staying open even past 6 doesn't mean guests stay. I've always maintained that to get guests to go beyond 6, there has to be an incentive. Fright Nights has the mazes opening towards the evenings and the only reason Summer Nights works is because its sold on the idea of little to no queues. If Thorpe could hook into maybe live night time shows/performances during the summer then it could work.

Good relative to the other merlin parks. Globally they are still terrible. They should be open till 9 or 10pm in the summer. That would attract more guests as there day wont be as rushed and queues will be shorter as people wont feel the need to stay the whole day. People would be willing to travel further if the park was open from 10 till 9. All merlin parks are stupid for not doing it and I see this year they are all just sticking with the same as last year. Its not even from just an enthusiasts perspective it also makes more sense in a business perspective. I'm sure the more guests and better customer satisfaction would lead to more income to overcome the increased running costs and result in more profit.Ā 

Ā 

They did try this back in 2006 - one of the parks busiest years and throughout August the park was open 10-10pm every day I believe - as Mark said past 6/7PM it was dead pretty much every night.Ā 

They haven't opened to that sort of time in years. People don't stay at fright nights because its cold and often wet. The summer its still warm and after a long day of only getting on a few rides I'm sure there are lots of willing people to stay. If they advertise it correctly and maybe have a few extra things like a dance show with lasers or fireworks like many other parks then it will certainly attract more guests, leave a good memory so they are more likely to return. You have to take risks to make money and I'm sure this is a risk that they should take.Ā