Opening Times

Rich

Read the previous page, last post. They've happily quoted the bloody website T&C saying CLEARLY you can go with a thorpe park annual pass.

Read before posting.

I only thought that it was Merlin pass holders only because of the post two above mine that you obviously didn't read.

Read before posting.

Lets set something straight it's a 'Merlin Annual Pass Preview Day', therefore the day is exclusive to to MAP holders.

It didn't work last time, MAP holders where waiting a very long time to pick up guest tickets and it did add to the final gate figure. If there was 5000 MAP tickets available and everyone brought a friend that's 10,000 guests.

5000 - standard quiet day, everyone has a good time.

10,000 - you piss off all your loyal customers and make them wait excessive amounts of time for rides.

• 2 weeks later...

It's just dawned on me that this year's Mash Up event is taking place the weekend after Easter. For the past few years, the park's Easter event has always been during Easter weekend, so why would they have decided to do it differently this year? Also means that the Mash Up event doesn't have extended opening hours, just a 10-6 day.

Not that it's particularly important or anything, just curious really..

• 5 months later...

To be fair the park did tend to become quieter in the last hour last year on most days, and the mazes usually have longer queues than the coasters when they're open. I think this extra hour of mazes is a good thing even without the rides tbh :) The rides will still be open for 11 hours at least!!

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

I am going to port aventura in the summer and I truly realised how bad thorpe's opening times are. We are going in july(a 10-6pm day at thorpe) and will get the park for 3 days at opening hours of 10-midnight. I'm not saying thorpe's hours should be that long it just proves how short they are actually open. In the middle of the summer, they are open from about 10-2am/4am. I must agree that port aventura is much bigger but I would like to see the opening hours continue to increase at thorpe because they are very short... In summer when there are 2 hour queues on the coasters at thorpe you can only get on about 4 rides.

I agree to an extent however there's a few factors involved here..

- Most of PortAventuras rides don't open till 12 anyway. You'd be lucky to get Baco, Shambhala and Dragon Khan open before 12.

- Thorpe have had long hours in the summer before and traditionally, it gets very quiet around 6 meaning that the people who get affected by the queues aren't sticking around.

- Thorpe are continuing with summer nights at weekends this season. Hopefully this will mean an end to early closures for the majority of the year.

- The Spanish are very much people who get up later and do things later. Evening meals are more eight o clock then six for example hence why PA has later opening hours.

- I've never known a time where all five of Thorpes coasters have two hour queues. The only time I can really see it ever happening is Fright Nights, and even then two hours is a stretch.

Again towers suffers from the middle of nowhere effect.

When they used to be open until 7pm in the summer, apart from literally the last week the place would be completely deserted by 5pm.

Even the 6pms over May Half Term the park was empty by 6.40 on a couple of those days which suggests people are not making use of the full opening times.

I agree to an extent however there's a few factors involved here..

- Most of PortAventuras rides don't open till 12 anyway. You'd be lucky to get Baco, Shambhala and Dragon Khan open before 12.

- Thorpe have had long hours in the summer before and traditionally, it gets very quiet around 6 meaning that the people who get affected by the queues aren't sticking around.

- Thorpe are continuing with summer nights at weekends this season. Hopefully this will mean an end to early closures for the majority of the year.

- The Spanish are very much people who get up later and do things later. Evening meals are more eight o clock then six for example hence why PA has later opening hours.

- I've never known a time where all five of Thorpes coasters have two hour queues. The only time I can really see it ever happening is Fright Nights, and even then two hours is a stretch.

I see where your coming from with the whole idea of the Spanish but I just meant that I was hoping hours could be increased.

I visited in sunscream week last year(will not be doing this again), the queue times were:

Flying fish- 30minutes!!!

Swarm- 120mins forwards/backwards.

Saw- 150mins

Stealth- 100mins

Tidal wave- 120mins

Loggers leap- 60mins

Colossus/nemesis- 90mins

Rush/vortex- 90mins

I'm just trying to say it does get riduculously busy in the summer holidays so I do feel that the hours should be increased. I also visited fright nights and saw alive and other mazes went up to 2/3hours straight away(although this was mainly down to the horrible 3 groups fastrack to 1 normal queue ratio).

I'm just trying to say it does get riduculously busy in the summer holidays so I do feel that the hours should be increased. I also visited fright nights and saw alive and other mazes went up to 2/3hours straight away(although this was mainly down to the horrible 3 groups fastrack to 1 normal queue ratio).

I remember that, My Bloody Valentine had an 140 minute queue because of it and it should have been about 60 maximum!

Overselling fastrack is completely unacceptable on Thorpe's behalf and shows that they value money over guest experience.

Well they did used to be open till 8 in the Summer, but Summer Nights stops that happening (as they can't extend the length of Summer Nights later into the night due to council restrictions). Out of all the parks in this country (minus Pleasure Beach but that's different, much like Adventure Island), Thorpe do have the best opening times. And they will often extend opening if it is unexpectedly busy (like the strike day earlier this year and other random inset days schools have). Plus we did see the return of 10pm Fright Nights with little closing before this time. They might continue the thing they did last summer and have a few rides open till 9pm to help avoid the car park crush.

The fact the park is now open till at least 6pm every weekend is also a step in the right direction, and hopefully with the Shark Hotel they might start operating a few rides for longer (like the Lost City cluster or the coasters for an extra hour).

I imagine that next year we will see the introduction of ERT. They have been gradually letting MAP holders in earlier and earlier. I imagine Vortex wont be running to 9pm like last year as that had somewhat of a negative effect on its performance. Hopefully some rides will remain open longer, I imagine if its a coaster then it would be the swarm, as it is on its own island so easy to track people and keep people away from where they shouldn't be.

• 1 month later...