Thorpe Park 2023

ML27

1 hour ago, BBoyJD10 said:

This looks so bad !

IMG_4575.jpeg

Bloody horrendous. It’s been this way (getting worse actually) for years now, it needs fixing as a matter of urgency. For a park that’s about to unveil a multi-million pound brand new rollercoaster, it really says a lot first-impressions wise that they can’t even be bothered to fix their entrance sign.

A new TV screen can’t even be that difficult to get a replacement of surly. It’s not like it’s a new ride part that they need to get it specifically from a certain manufacturer that could take months or years to ship (looking at you mr monkeys banana boat…). It’s an off the shelf product that could be cheaply bought (I think) so why don’t the just bite the bullet and replace it now to actually create a good first impression of the park.

Don't know if there is any truth in this, but I recall a staff from the park a couple of years ago saying the reason Slammer is still standing is because it's tied in with a legal contract with Rush and that it can not be removed until Rush also goes.

Either way, I do miss Slammer and it's sad to see it standing there. It's never going to happen I know, but I do wonder how much it would hypothetically cost Thorpe to repair Slammer and get it back into operation?

2 hours ago, eveares said:

Don't know if there is any truth in this, but I recall a staff from the park a couple of years ago saying the reason Slammer is still standing is because it's tied in with a legal contract with Rush and that it can not be removed until Rush also goes.

Either way, I do miss Slammer and it's sad to see it standing there. It's never going to happen I know, but I do wonder how much it would hypothetically cost Thorpe to repair Slammer and get it back into operation?

Yeah, there's no truth it that rumour. There would be no legal obligation on Thorpe's behalf to keep the ride stood there. If there was, it would more than likely be an obligation to have it actually running rather than not. 

The reason it's stood there now is simple: money. Why spend money removing it and replace it with nothing more than a flat space, when they can wait and replace it with a new attraction? Then the money spent on its hypothetical removal can be spent on more urgent things for now.

Yeah what Josh said.  Should imagine it would be quite expensive and quite a project to remove Slammer.  Its a great space for a new flat though.  If it were me I would be planning to develop that space after Exodus opens so that there is a supporting ride for the area.  Also I would probably look at expanding BK2 as I can imagine that's going to be rammed next year

I think in an ideal world a flat ride would have replaced Slammer this year, helping to revamp the area, draw eyes to that part of the park, then you have a ready made new support ride for Exodus next year for people who haven't visited in a couple of years. Black Mirror could still exist in the space too.

Hopefully the park revamp the toilets in the area too. Again, they need it, and they're the last ones on park which need it.

The biggest 'disappointment' in my eyes over the Exodus investment is the lack of anything else (as things stand). We're getting the coaster, and then either a shop or food unit with it. That part of the park is in need of another non-coaster ride, another F&B unit serving lunch options and a shop as a minimum ideally. Hopefully it'll all come sooner or later, but it's a bit of a disappointment it's not all as one big cohesive investment.

5 hours ago, JoshC. said:

I think in an ideal world a flat ride would have replaced Slammer this year, helping to revamp the area, draw eyes to that part of the park, then you have a ready made new support ride for Exodus next year for people who haven't visited in a couple of years.

Yeah agreed. In an ideal world it would have been done already.  I know when I was working at the park last year they were looking at refurbing the toilets, hopefully they will include as part of Exodus.  They definitely  need more food outlets in that area , or a bigger capacity BK.  I suppose the BBQ is part of that area which helps, but they have lost the hot dog stand that used to be by Rocky.

7 hours ago, MattyB said:

Yeah what Josh said.  Should imagine it would be quite expensive and quite a project to remove Slammer.  Its a great space for a new flat though.  If it were me I would be planning to develop that space after Exodus opens so that there is a supporting ride for the area.  Also I would probably look at expanding BK2 as I can imagine that's going to be rammed next year

It's purely irrational but I hate it when parks leave their obsolete crap all over the place. And that includes Saw the Ride. 😱

1 minute ago, Mark9 said:

It's purely irrational but I hate it when parks leave their obsolete crap all over the place. And that includes Saw the Ride. 😱

Nobody insults saw the ride, it’s my 2nd favourite in the uk 😭

I think that the park are missing a trick not putting a flat in the exodus area of the park. I think that a new area for a park should have a coaster and a flat or two to tie the whole thing together. Not having flat rides near coasters leads to issues that towers now have with massive queues on the major coasters (smiler cough cough) because there is nothing else to do in that area apart from the coasters. (I’m not counting retrosquad as flats they don’t count). I think the only exception to this rule is the swarm as the theming in the area makes up for the lack of a flat and the fact that the ride has a relatively high throughput.

Also a new area with a flat ride as well as a coaster surly would look better to market than just a new coaster, but then I know very little about marketing so I could be wrong.

Went to the Carnival event yesterday.

It's definitely a family-oriented event, but it's fun enough for what it is. The use of the Saw Alive pathway is perfect for these events really.

Trailers is a weird one. It's not a scare maze, because it's not designed to be scary. But it's not an interactive walkthrough. It's a maze with clowns who interact with you. The park was quiet yesterday, but it had basically no queue whatsoever. One has to wonder if it would be worth them just making it a free experience to give people more options, rather than making it an upcharge. 

It was like that last year with trailers during carnival. It was always quiet, not a consistent flow of people, not advertised at all unless you want to look into the event.

Interaction was based on who you were, which I get the idea but it it’s going to vary so much get rid. 

8 hours ago, JoshC. said:

One has to wonder if it would be worth them just making it a free experience to give people more options, rather than making it an upcharge. 

I can’t help but feel like it’s a bit of a kick in the teeth that this is STILL an upcharge (during both Fright Nights AND Carnival mind you, so double the potential revenue each season!) three years down the line.

Surely it’s paid off by now that they could justify removing the upcharge - even if it’s just for Carnival considering it’s a majorly toned-down experience to its Fright Nights counterpart?

• 2 weeks later...

Shame the projector and screen in the dome don’t get used either.

During COVID, the use of the big projector as you exit the dome into the park was quite cool and handy. Shame they don’t use it now. To be fair the whole upstairs of the dome needs a rejig  and update. It’s such a large space, they could get so much use out of it

image.png.0c58f165d5772c6b11ddc93e15e249ba.png

Looks like (hopefully) Angry Birds Land is finally on its way out! I'm genuinely so surprised the IP has lasted this long - especially for a franchise that's essentially just a mobile game.

Crazy decision creatively for the park to take this on considering Angry Birds is very much a family IP, but the park offer very little for families in the area other than the bumper cars and the 4D cinema!

• 2 weeks later...

Take this with a pinch of salt as it’s coming from a customer service assistant.

However I thought it’s interesting how they’ve described their park as aimed towards teenagers. I assume can’t go once past 19 and they are pointing people towards other parks 

IMG_9973.jpeg