Oblivion

AltonThorpe

This, is an Oblivion update, the ride car which disappeared has still not materialised. Still, I'm sure it's around here somewhere. Just a case of looking for it.In fact, while you are waiting for your friends to reappear, why not relax with an ice cold Coke?Wish they'd bring that stuff back <3

• 3 months later...

It took me until last year to realise I really love Oblivion. I was surprised when I did Sheikra how floaty and generally lacking in dynamics it was, it was as if you couldn't feel you were moving because every element is so huge. Blivvy on the other hand, is tiny and forceful and amazing :) Had a great couple of rides on it towards the end of last season and am looking forward to more this year.I finally feel like part of the family, all I need to do now is learn to hate Charlie and I'll be a proper enthusiast like! :wub:

Blivvy is still the best DM in the world, by far... SheiKra didn't do anything for me, Griffon was slightly better and Krake was fun...I think for the two American ones, part of it is the first drop being so big and that as you said Adam, all the elements are large and drawn out... The only element on Blivvy like that, is the overbanked turn after the drop, but since that's literally the journey back to the station, it doesn't really affect the ride...I dunno, it might be UK bias, but I think the American DMs missed the point of the ride, whilst Krake kinda remembered it in a way...

I dunno, it might be UK bias, but I think the American DMs missed the point of the ride, whilst Krake kinda remembered it in a way...

I do wonder whether Krake will now be as good if not better then Oblivion now that it drops into something and it does have that little bit of extra track after the main drop. Or will Oblivion stay as good as ever because it's simpleness is its greatest asset. Cant wait to ride Krake to find out.

Oblivion is far the best. It has such a presence that I hope that we don't loose, with a dreaded re-theme next season.I'm a fan of all the DM's tbh, although I do agree with what has already been said with the huge ones being less 'thrilling' and much more full of 'floaty' hangtime.Oh, what I would give to swap Saw with a Krake sized DM...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Today I was at the park and I recieved the weirdest customer service ever!!!

This is not a joke:

The ride closed at around half 11 today and there were two members of staff at the gate. I asked one of them why it was closed and they said "it drank all the Irn Bru!" Then they both laughed and refused to tell us what really happened.

I mean what the hell??? Usually you recieve excellent customer service at Alton towers, what on earth was all that about? :wacko:

When I used to work at Alton Towers, if Rita broke down and I was on entrance or talking to guests, if they looked fairly relaxed, I used to say it was simply her time of the month, or she was having PMT.

Basically - Oblivion has had a few niggles all week, I believe to do with the lift, and may well be closed until Monday.

Yeah, I went on it a lot on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday so I wasn't too bothered about it being closed, I was just a bit confused about "it drank all the Irn Bru" as you would be. I'm a MAP holder so I wasn't too bothered about it being shut as I had been on it a lot.

You do come across staff who make up silly reasons as to why its shut, its mainly because they're bored of saying technical difficulties - as thats ALL that they'd tell you anyway.

I've heard some decent ones before, to do with the nemesis monster etc.

I've never understood the big secret with shutdowns. If you are waiting for a train that never arrives they tell you why (signal failure at ...., train stuck on line at ....., leaves on the line etc etc). Why shouldn't it be the same at parks? It frustrates the hell out of people not being told what's going on.

I understand where you are coming from and it is frustrating to only be told "technical difficulties" every time but I personally understand why they don't give specific reasons. If for example they did go into specifics and tell the general public (who lets face it, are about 95% of those that ask) and said that it was something to do with say, the lift, all kinds of sensationalist stories would come about the safety of the ride; don't underestimate the public's ability to magic up a story out of thin air.

It is far more sensible to just keep the real reason under wraps from those that would have little to no clue about the mechanics of a ride.

At Alton Towers, they will generally say either a) technical difficulties or B) ride shutdown due to the fault of a guest (I.e. camera out).

They won't go into specifics because it can frankly frighten guests - I.e. they would never say "harness failure" because this would just cause panic amongst guests even if "harness failure" doesn't actually mean that anyone is in danger.