Oblivion

AltonThorpe

• 1 month later...
:mellow: Probably a stupid question but it's been bothering me for the past few days. Has Oblivion ever stalled? I appreciate that the track is very short so it doesn't really have time to slow down that much but I was just wondering...And on the same note, does Alton Towers have access to the bottom of the drop? I suppose they must do but I wasn't sure as it is a very deep hole.

;) Probably a stupid question but it's been bothering me for the past few days. Has Oblivion ever stalled? I appreciate that the track is very short so it doesn't really have time to slow down that much but I was just wondering...And on the same note, does Alton Towers have access to the bottom of the drop? I suppose they must do but I wasn't sure as it is a very deep hole.

It would only really stall on the chainlift or the curve prior to the drop. They manually stop it when someone has a camera on-board and they get a man to climb up and take it from them - awkward :mellow: They definately has access to the bottom, I'm not sure where the entrance is though.I took this in 2009 because I thought it were funny/concerning:Posted Image

^ Most B&M coasters have gaps like that where the switch/transfer track is, or else when it moves it would obviously scrape and possibly damage the track.Oblivion can only be stopped on any of the 'pinch brake' sections, the conveyors at the top of the lift and between the main brakes and transfer track. Or the main lift. It cannot be stopped on the holding brake, as it is effectively a reverse of the chain-lift, therefore if there is a power cut in between the block just before the drop where there are some friction wheels and a pinch brake, the chain will just let the train roll straight off of it, as there is no power to hold the train. Never heard of it stalling though, seeing as it goes through the tunnel and turnaround at quite a pace! :SAs for the access to the tunnel, there must be some sort of access near the exit of it near Enterprise? Although I'm not sure about this, can you access the tunnel from the door/hut thing to the right of this picture?Posted Image

Cheers Neilfever. :P Ha! That tunnel really doesn't look as impressive when you can actually see the walls. It always amazes me that it travels 120ft underground because it never seems like it has enough space to go that deep and then come back up in time for the stall turn. Even those pictures make the incline look really shallow but I guess there's not much to compare the steepness of the track to.

To be fair when your travelling at 55mph you don't tend to notice the walls ;)I can't see why you think it would stalled because every time I have rode oblivion it seems to be faster than the breaks and always comes to a sharp stop, Theirs more than enough speed to make it carry on through a circuit as well as appear from the hole

Yeah, I know it was a long shot. :P I was just wondering if it had happened once when it had been really windy and rainy and maybe just hadn't made it up to the brake run and had then come to settle at the bottom of the vertical drop. Part of me was thinking that it's been around for so many years now with so many circuits each day that it wouldn't be that unreasonable to think that just once it had stalled. On the other hand, speeds of 68mph does make my notion of stalling sound ridiculous. :P

I do love Oblivion but really my only real gripe about it is the restraints. It seems every seat has a different shade of orange (or peach maybe a more accurate colour :P ) and alot have faded right down to black around where riders' heads are; I think it would go a long way to tidying up it's appearance if it was sorted.

I do love Oblivion but really my only real gripe about it is the restraints. It seems every seat has a different shade of orange (or peach maybe a more accurate colour -_- ) and alot have faded right down to black around where riders' heads are; I think it would go a long way to tidying up it's appearance if it was sorted.

If this is your only gripe about Oblivion then there isn't really a problem with it!Still my favourite ride in Alton Towers

If this is your only gripe about Oblivion then there isn't really a problem with it!Still my favourite ride in Alton Towers

Fair point but like I said it is my only gripe among so many other things which are great about it; never mentioned there being a gargantuan issue with the ride else where and the experience it provides. I do still love the ride.Plus, if there has been one that has been redone this year then we can only hope something will be done to the rest over the closed season -_-

Fair point but like I said it is my only gripe among so many other things which are great about it; never mentioned there being a gargantuan issue with the ride else where and the experience it provides. I do still love the ride.Plus, if there has been one that has been redone this year then we can only hope something will be done to the rest over the closed season -_-

More than one has been done. From memory, there's one that's been completely redone (which was done for the advertising this year) and then there's about four or five others with the front row done. If I remember, there's only one with full new restraints (or fresh ones) and about two with none at all, the rest are in limbo, and there's definitely one (at least) sat in the workshop with the restraints ready to be put on, but it's been there for months...