Oblivion

AltonThorpe

At Alton Towers, they will generally say either a) technical difficulties or B) ride shutdown due to the fault of a guest (I.e. camera out).

They won't go into specifics because it can frankly frighten guests - I.e. they would never say "harness failure" because this would just cause panic amongst guests even if "harness failure" doesn't actually mean that anyone is in danger.

Completely agree, and I thought Oblivion had finally gone through rehab for it's Fanta addiction and is now back on the coca cola or just a lesser amount of Fanta sponsorship?

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tracks fracturing isn't too rare an occurance for it to be an unbelievable thing, it happens especially a lot on Nemesis... Just kinda comes with the forces and stress that occur on the track... I would imagine the very bottom of Blivvy's drop bends and moves a damn lot, so would be prime suspect for a potential track fault...

Dunno if it's true, but it's not toooooo far-fetched not to be if that makes any sense...

• 2 weeks later...

Has this happened to anyone else on here?

It happened when we were at Alton towers this Scarefest.

Basically my brother's shoulder harness on Oblivion was completley secure and tight when leaving the station - we had pushed it down so there was no room at all for it to "move" like you get sometimes on it.

By the end of the ride his harness had "clicked open" (for want of a better expression) and there was now loads of room in it - he told me it had happened while going down the drop.

The only thing that I can think of is that the belt was really tight on him leaving the station so maybe the pressure pushing up on the bar made it open to the next level?

We did go on the ride after that but we do regret not telling anyone who was working on the ride.

Probs more that the Oblivion (and B&M restraints) work on a ratchet basis, it's probably more noticeable whether or not the bar will rise due to being between 'clicks' on Oblivion purely due to the vertical motion and gravity being a heartless mistress to falling objects...

I remember my uni lecturer telling me something similar, so I reckon it's just something that happens on it regularly because of people being on the lower limit of the restraint system, and it just naturally moving up to the upper limit due to gravity...

Yes - happens all the time on Oblivion and Nemesis, as mentioned by the ratchet system.

It'll have been inbetween clicks - either not fully in one originally when checked, or your brother might've just pulled it down without noticing before the drop element.

It's perfectly safe, and nothing to be worried about!

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I'm not a big fan of Oblivion. The theme is brilliant, and the build up to the ride is simply superb (one of the few rides in my life I have been 'scared' before going on...), but I dunno, the ride itself is a bit meh. On my ride in October, the lift hill felt quite rattly and uncomfortable. The drop is good, but that's all there is to the ride - even though I enjoy the drop, I feel a bit shorted changed by the whole ride.

To me, Oblivion as a whole experience is great, but the ride itself is just 'okay'.