Oblivion

AltonThorpe

We know Merlin can do subtlety as Dragon Falls has been done very well.

Surely its more the case of how much the advertising company is willing to pay rather than if Merlin want to do it subtlety or not.. I'm guessing the more they pay the more in your face they will have it..

Surely its more the case of how much the advertising company is willing to pay rather than if Merlin want to do it subtlety or not.. I'm guessing the more they pay the more in your face they will have it..

Look MarcThis is the worlds most technologically advanced ride, far deeper, far darker then your worst nightmare.

I actually saw it with my own eyes today...My opinion generally amounts to this image...Posted ImageQuite honestly, when someone who isn't an enthusiast notices how bad it is (plus when your new vinyl sticker is ALREADY peeling off), something's wrong...Horrible... Horrible thing...

Hey Guys, I don't wish to crow and if this isn't fine please delete. However, not for the first time, TT has done a comments form/petition (call it what you wish) which will be communicated en masse to Alton and Merlin, surrounding the Oblivion sponsorship amongst other things. I am aware there are those of you who will ridicule/mock this kind of thing, but I would remind you that a similar effort in 2006 brought back In The Hall of the Mountain King to the park and Alton do listen.If this is classed as advertising, then please move if necessary or whatever, but it's a common cause and there have been an overwhelming number of comments so far. Name and Details optional.http://petition.towerstimes.co.uk/:)

I have heard from looking on TowersTimes today that Oblivion has had YET MORE SPONSORSHIP ADDED! :) Everyone knows the banner above the bag cages that says 'Don't Look Down' on it. Well, that has now been moved up and another apparently badly-matched and probably tacky looking Fanta banner has been put underneath it and says the phrase, 'Looking Down is the Fun Part.' Oblivion is not meant to be fun!? It is supposed to be intimidating and worrying with all of the TV messages and blank looking walls etc around the area, and is supposed to give you the feeling that I remember well from my first ever ride on it ;) To be honest, and I hate to say this, I think there is still going to be more sponsorship added as it seems they are still adding it gradually with today's news. *sigh* Oh Yeah and Alton, Oblivion has a 180ft drop, not a 150ft drop, so why are you downgrading your own ride? :P

• 2 weeks later...

That's what I said. Looking on the brighter side: Oblivion has gone anywhere as ridiculous as Rumba Rapids was allowed to go.

To compare Oblivion with Rumba is ridiculous in itself...Rumba is/was never as bad as what has happened to Oblivion... Simple as... It had very little theming already and indeed actually suited the Calypso Quay area, Fanta suits Oblivion as much as a sword suits my chest...

As I said though, Oblivion is world famous. It was also a world first and one of the most iconic rides in the country. Rumba is one of the shoddiest Intamin Rapids I have ever been on. Due to this, the Fanta on Oblivion is by far worse than any dressing down of Rumba.

• 3 months later...

My favourite ride in the park hands down.I think Alton Towers should realise that a sponsership such as Fanta destroys the original purpose of one of the park's most iconic rides, that is, to create a dark and mysterious atmoshpere which provides guests with the maximum experience and creates a larger impact from the ride and thus the park.

Have to say that hands down, the Fanta sponsorship of Oblivion was the worst sponsorship addition ever; beat Bubbleworks by miles in my opinion. At least with Bubbleworks, they were able to keep the same fun and friendly factory atmosphere and it remained quirky; that is what the ride is meant to be. The Fanta sponsors appeared to have tried to almost take the mick of the original Oblivion fear factor, especially in the station where right beneath the "Don't Look Down" sign, the sponsor states "But looking down is more fun" .... Seriously!? ;)