Rant

Theme Park bloke

In all fairness, shows like that will be biased.

- Point 2. So if you don't have modern tastes you won't win. How utterly ridiculous is that. Music is more then just the last two months.

That point is very true, however shows such as BGT and the massive X is for entertainment purposes. Simon Cowell created them for money and entertainment. Of course it will be biased, unfair and have crappy people on it. It entertains us does it not. I refer you to an audition that I'm sure most people laugh at, after you watch it ask yourself how did they get through to the auditions in front of the judges. The answer will be entertainment purposes.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to be ruled over Simon Cowell and whoever else judges it now. Plus, some of the public decisions really do make me question society.

Yes, the result on the BGT final proved just that! :)And great post Mark9 :(But honestly, I dunno, whatever someone says there will always be someone to disagree...I swear people were never this bothered or moany about Saturday night TV in the 90s. Noel's House Party, Gladiators, Blind Date (and that was ridiculous!) and Stars In Their Eyes! :DOh the days before reality TV shows...And to contribute to the funny auditionists thingy...

Good old Alan Penfold :)

Is about the only thing that has entertained me in these shows...And these shows are not the only avenue available to people with talent, many acts begin through school gigs and the like and slowly work their way up by actually engaging into their industry, not because they get voted the 'best'... They are probs the quickest and easiest, but how many long term 'stars' have we had from them? Where's Susan Boyle gone? Mer, the 90s shows you list are very different in some respects, indeed, Gladiators was (and still is) a game show, Noel's House Party was actually the best thing on TV at it's time and the other two were just turd... No-one talks about them because they were that, turd programs :)

I'm going to reply in three parts here.- Point 1, basically, I know that. However the show is made up of 95% talentless idiots who want 5 minutes of fame, not an interest in the music industry.- Point 2. So if you don't have modern tastes you won't win. How utterly ridiculous is that. Music is more then just the last two months.- Point 3. You list the successful two winners and two others from the last series. What about Steve Brockenstein, Shane Ward, Leon Jackson, Joe McElderry who have dissappeared of the face of the earth.- Point 4. Nice blanket statement there except not everones dream is in the entertainment industry, it's to get money and be adored. Not the same thing at all.

- Point 1, I agree with you but is 95% truly, an accurate figure? I could understand 80% but I don't think that most of the people that come on are desperate fame seekers- Point 2. What I meant by that, a lot of it is based on image. And none of the 30+ have ever been successful apart from Susan Boyle, which is a very rare case. The music that are most successful are modern, contemporary music. There are some genres of music like classical music from Il Divo and music from Ellen Page, Barbara Streisand and Celine Dion, that are very successful, but mostly, it's the mainstream music.- Point 3. All of the male winners apart from Shayne Ward have been unsuccessful. All have been dropped from the SYCO label. Steve Brookstein had disagreements with his label and was dropped. Leon Jackson released one good single and was dropped. Shayne Ward was dropped, which created a huge uproar and Joe McElderry is not making music at the moment.Steve Brookstein has his own independent label and is still making musicShayne Ward is performing in AmericaLeon Jackson is working on new musicJoe McElderry is taking part in the ITV show "Popstar to Operastar"Matt Cardel is working on his debut album and is taking a more active role in his career- Point 4. Granted but if you had your way, I'm sure you'd scrap talent shows like the X Factor. It is very hard to get into the music industry and to get signed to a good label that will promote you and support you financially. Many labels aren't taking the risks that they used to take because of the economy and the state of the music industry. But I agree, that not everyone has a dream in the Entertainment and Showbiz industryAs for Mer's point, there are some people who are very talented and don't have the confidence to go on a talent show. Take Susan Boyle for example, who knew she was very talented but didn't have the confidence to go onto the show and now... she has had a successful 2nd album and is famous in America, which is known as the hardest market to break. She has done it and I'm proud of her.And if no-one rep's my post, I will known that certain people are bias and are against me

And if no-one rep's my post, I will known that certain people are bias and are against me

Was that part of your post even needed?I'm sorry Will, but just because people have a different opinion on certain things to you doesn't mean they are against you... What a silly point to make at the end of at what was a decent post until that...1 - Neither 95 or 80 percent are accurate figures... However, the majority of people are just there to be on tv, you can just tell...2 - Nothing to say on this, as I don't follow pop music and what else is considered mainstream these days... But tbh all music is starting to be recycled band rubbish now... 3 - So they are doing very low key things (and appearing on an ITV show is not a major coup)...4 - Of course it's hard to, but if you have the talent and drive to get into it nothing should stop you and you shouldn't need a tv avenue... Nowadays it's hard to get into any industry because of the economy, music isn't the only thing being cautious...

Was that part of your post even needed?I'm sorry Will, but just because people have a different opinion on certain things to you doesn't mean they are against you... What a silly point to make at the end of at what was a decent post until that...1 - Neither 95 or 80 percent are accurate figures... However, the majority of people are just there to be on tv, you can just tell...2 - Nothing to say on this, as I don't follow pop music and what else is considered mainstream these days... But tbh all music is starting to be recycled band rubbish now... 3 - So they are doing very low key things (and appearing on an ITV show is not a major coup)...4 - Of course it's hard to, but if you have the talent and drive to get into it nothing should stop you and you shouldn't need a tv avenue... Nowadays it's hard to get into any industry because of the economy, music isn't the only thing being cautious...

The part of my post, you quoted was just a joke and not meant to be taken seriously :)

The part of my post, you quoted was just a joke and not meant to be taken seriously :)

You say that but you wanted this forum to be more serious so that was basically just bait.Talent shows in my eyes are an already outdated system for finding new artists. Social networking sites and others like bandcamp.com do a much better job. Judging people by one song/performance is ridiculous. It's like only listening to one song on an album. And I bet you that Cowell royally screws over most of the winners in their contracts.

Jokes, are usually funny...

And you would know? :) Anyway, on this subject, I'd love to be in the music industry, just not ever on the SYCO label, thats why I'd never go on one of those shows. They can't manage male acts and are really just after money. There are several acts who are making a loss at the moment but the labels still keep them on despite that. Shayne recorded some songs with RedOne for this latest album they never appeared on it, he was pretty much fixed into getting dropped. I'd rather be unsigned that signed to that label.

That's true James well said. He recorded songs with RedOne and was dropped which created a huge amount of uproar in the industry. Shayne can sing, dance and has been said, that he is a very nice guy.I wouldn't want to be signed to Syco because Simon only cares about one thing, which is the green paper and he will only ever admit he is wrong, if his PR guy, Max Clifford suggests he should.

Many labels aren't taking the risks that they used to take because of the economy and the state of the music industry.

1. If the music label has to take a large risk then you're probably not good enough.2. The music industry is in amazing shape. Don't confuse poor track sales with a bad industry.Dave

- Point 4. Granted but if you had your way, I'm sure you'd scrap talent shows like the X Factor. It is very hard to get into the music industry and to get signed to a good label that will promote you and support you financially. Many labels aren't taking the risks that they used to take because of the economy and the state of the music industry.

I feel a bit insulted by this as you seem to be under the impression that I resent talented people. I don't, I resent the way X Factor is shoved down my throat every winter with what seems the bickering between the judges more important then whats going on, on stage.At the end of the day, yeah it probably is hard to get into the music industry. But if you really are talented then you either go through the proper way, working hard and breaking through or you become a one hit wonder and then forgotten about. Some kind of stardom that is..

Lets get this off my chest...Right my friends were organising a Lord of the Rings film night and we were all discussing it in my garden a few weeks ago and we set a date and everything. It then got cancelled due to it being on someones birthday. THEN someone else re-organises it, doesn't bother to invite me (I was one of the ones who came up with the idea) and now I'm left to look at the photos of it on Facebook.

Edited by IanNem
removed swearing

Lets get this off my chest...Right my friends were organising a Lord of the Rings film night and we were all discussing it in my garden a few weeks ago and we set a date and everything. It then got cancelled due to it being on someones birthday. THEN someone else re-organises it, doesn't bother to invite me (I was one of the ones who came up with the idea) and now I'm left to look at the photos of it on Facebook.

Aww :) This has happened to me in the past. It's not always the case that they didn't bother, they may have just forgotten, although being forgotten about still makes you feel like crap. Try not to dwell on it, if they couldn't be bothered to invite you, it's their problem, not yours. :lol:Also. Why the bloody hell does my dad think it's funny to comment on my statuses :@ Edited by IanNem

Double posting because I'm cool and after a conversation in chat I have decided to divulge and tell you some things about me. My Dad is not a nice person and my sisters worse, many people think I exaggerate until they see it for themselves so think what you will but either way it brings me onto a point of my sister has always come first no matter what. Well one of the attributes of my Dad is that because my sister has come first, I get ignored at home. So that's home that I'm ignored at.Now school, one teacher did pay attention but only for one lesson when people were shouting stuff at me, throwing numerous of items and every now and then some ice cold water. She said to my sister that it seems like Holly just lives in a little bubble and doesn't notice anything. Considering that was after years of bullying what else was I going to do? My sister just said she's like it at home. I went back to being ignored, bullying continued. Friends, I didn't have any until Year 10 and even then, they weren't friends, they were the worst bully's just because they made me feel like I had friends and then would do stuff to me and be nasty, pin the blame on me. Got rid of them eventually, go me! College started and by this point I just didn't talk about stuff. Point blank refused. College tried to get me to do counselling but I couldn't do it.One of the things my Dad taught me was that I'm a waste of space, the fact that I breathe the same air as him disgusts him and that nothing is wrong with me other than that I'm useless. So now I struggle to tell people what's wrong, to open up and to go to the doctors about anything really because I'm so scared that they are just going to reject me like my Dad did. The point is all my life I've been ignored and every now and then someone will show that actually they do care and something might be wrong but it wont be followed up because I can't talk about it. So yeah there's a bit of reasoning behind why I don't talk about things. It spans more than just that but like I said I can't talk about it.