Europa Park

MikeC

In this country, we're absolutely sacked if our bar isn't checked on a Flying Jumbo ride.

Edited for Accuracy...And yes, it's entirely like that, when I went on the Mine Train they put a bar does as the train was leaving... I found it simply hilarious, and it does show how they treat their guests with an ounce of common sense, maybe because that's something the Germans retain when entering a park, rather than losing the majority of their IQ once through the turnstyles...Europa's getting new stuff this year as well... Looking forward to going personally woo...

^Considering Europa don't exactly have much to say in the way of major recorded accidents, I wouldn't say it's that...Having been to the park, I would say some people are slightly putting it out of proportion... Mark's image is of an empty seat... Because of their efficiency and view on throughputs, it makes perfect sense if they don't have to put it down and check it, saves a lot of time doing so...Effectively they just wanna get you on the ride more quickly... Nothing wrong with that imo...Also the Central Europeans are obviously much more lax on their H&S, just look at some of their park playgrounds and you can just tell the massive difference in between us and them...

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I thought the European equivalent of the ADIPS (there is one different?), was much stricter than the ADIPS? So how on earth does Europa get away with that sort of thing.

ADIPS is about engineering procedure and how they maintain and check the ride, not how its run :)

EGF is run very slowly.First, they walk up and check the seat belts. Then they walk back down. Then they walk again and check the lap bars. Then it's dispatched. SO slowly. Silver Star has LED's at EP so they can verify if the bar is adequately closed. EP's operations are pretty much unbeaten from my experience. The queue's just move so quickly. Even their Wild Mouse gets around 950 people per hour.For the record, new for 2011 at EP- Interactive, suspended pedal car ride called "Vola da Vinci" in the Italian area.- Replacement dark ride for Ciao Bambini, set to be a voyage around Italian cities and landmarks called "Piccolo Mondo" in the Italian area.- New "Fairytale Alley" between England and Austria. Castles and buildings are being built based around the Brothers Grimm.The new hotel is also being constructed through 2011 ready for opening mid-way through 2012.:)

First, they walk up and check the seat belts. Then they walk back down. Then they walk again and check the lap bars. Then it's dispatched. SO slowly. Silver Star has LED's at EP so they can verify if the bar is adequately closed.

I think that's B&M rather than Europa... But that's because B&M are generally better than Intamin... Plus also Silver Star doesn't particularly have the shadow of people falling out of it's train hanging over it like EGF does... Personally I didn't see anything wrong when I went... The queue wasn't exactly long enough for even me to give a damn...And of course the Matterhorn Blitz gets 950 an hour, it has what, 2 in station, 2 in lifts, probably around 3/4 on track? It's beyond ridiculous how Europa run things...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We are going to Europa Park for the first time in a few months time. We're really looking forward to it, to trying out the coasters and especially Geisterschloss/Ghost Castle (Thorpe's Phantom Fantasia/ Wicked Witches Haunt used to be my favourite ride when I was growing up). Do you have any tips and suggestions for first time visitors? Also can you recommend any of the restaurants both on park and resort?

Europa-Park is a multi day resort with absolutely LOADS to do. I would suggest starting with Matterhorn Blitz, as it's the lowest throughput coaster on park (about 960pph). However, if it's not school holiday periods nor a weekend, I would quite literally just tour the park and take rides as you get to them! If it's a hot day, Poseidon is best done before lunch. Don't be put off by queue's that may look long. Europa-Park is the capital of throughputs - there's quite literally nowhere on Earth that operates rides with the haste of Europa. Thus a queue to the entrance on Silver Star will never be more than 35 minutes. Similarly, Eurosat to the entrance is 30 minutes. On busy days, they'll often advertise queues as double what they are (case in point: 46000 on park in August 2009, Euro Mir queue said 90 - we waited 45). Every ride is worth going on - even the smaller rides. They all have their quirky points!Try to experience the Englishness of Crazy Taxi - the ride hosts usually love it if you make a scene that you're English - and check out Columbus in Spain - a fun Seastorm ride that goes backwards, too. It's also worth viewing the Historama for some EP History, and the Mack Museum in there aswell. Geek heaven, so to speak! The Mini Monorail that runs from there offers a great view of parts of the park, and the Milka Shop has some great buys on chocolate - I always end up spending a fortune! My favourite rides at Europa-Park are Silver Star, Blue Fire, Fjord Rafting (don't quite know why), Piraten in Batavia, Abenteuer Atlantis (again, don't know why!), Pegasus (for a kiddie coaster, it's great), Eurosat and Kassandra (assrape central, although in reality it's pants compared to Hex!).Make sure you check out some shows -there are many every day. Usually, based on the past few years, the best shows have taken place at the Teatro dell'Arte in Italy (Variety Show) and the Spanish Arena (Gladiator Show). However, check the programme - the Ice Show is often really good, too.There are 66 food outlets across the resort, over 50 of which are on park itself. My favourites are the Rock Café by the main entrance (burgers, ribs etc.), Pizzeria Venezia in Italy (pizza, pasta), Tarte Flambée in France (regional speciality), Bamboo Bay in Holland (wok restaurant, amazing theming) and Kaffi Hus in Iceland (coffees, bagels and cakes). Avoid the burger bars and classic theme park style places - there's so much choice at EP it's a shame not to give it a go. The best restaurants on resort are the Silver Lake Salloon at Tipi Village - there's usually entertainment on, too - amazing steaks, lamb, pork, chicken and salads. Antica Roma Buffet is also excellent, at Colosseo! The bars in the hotels too, can get expensive if you go for co**tails - but the service and ambience is second to none and they're open (at least, Bar Colosseo is) until 2 or 3am.The hotels are all worth a walk around, the Camp Resort too. Make sure you set aside some time! I don't know how long you have, but 2 days is the minimum - in 1 day you will do the coasters and big water rides but simply won't experience everything EP has to offer and, with 57 rides from 2011 - there's a heck of a lot to pack in!I am back at EP in August - but wish I was going sooner. The lift hill raves, the theming, the entertainment, the food, the hotels - there's nowhere quite like it! :unsure:

Hi AstroDan, thank you so much for your in depth tips and advice. We will definitely take this all into consideration when we visit. We have planned a four day round trip with days 2 & 3 in the park, but we have already decided that if at the time we feel like we need a little bit more time to cover everything we could always buy a couple of 1 day tickets on the 4th day and spend an extra half a day there before flying home. We are both really looking forward to it. On another note do you know when the Rollercoaster Restaurant is due to open? Even without any reviews for the food it might be worth a visit just for the experience.Thanks againPhill