Hyperia - New for 2024 (Ride thread)

Next Thorpe video with Alice on the thumbnail head in hands "This is the video we NEVER thought we'd have to make 😔"

Jokes aside, the fact there's no pinned post or notice on their socials or website saying Hyperia is shut, is pretty poor and not at a par with their recent form...

It's unfortunate, but I think running on one train is the lesser of two evils compared to not having it running at all.

At least the park are psyching people up for it being on one train in advance and warning that queueing times could be extended, though, so it won't come as a surprise.

I must admit, though, that I am morbidly intrigued to see how long the advertised queue gets with 1 train operation on the ride's 2nd operating weekend...

4 hours ago, JoshC. said:

They're aiming to open it tomorrow on 1 train...

All the confidence. 

I will say this again, I REALLY don't think Thorpe are making a big enough point about this. I get it, it sucks, and as much as the information is there - it's not exactly smacking you in the face unlike the previous downtime - and unfortunately, I really think it SHOULD be - forearmed is forewarned, and this is their signature attraction, that's on social media and adverts all over the place.

16 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

I will say this again, I REALLY don't think Thorpe are making a big enough point about this. I get it, it sucks, and as much as the information is there - it's not exactly smacking you in the face unlike the previous downtime - and unfortunately, I really think it SHOULD be - forearmed is forewarned, and this is their signature attraction, that's on social media and adverts all over the place.

It seems deliberate, there’s a huge shift in how they are communicating from the first lot of down time to now, there was a big deal and tonnes of info when it went down and again when it reopened, this time there’s just been one post about it closing and other than an unadvertised change on their website no fanfare around it reopening either.

Looks like it’s been testing tonight with the train full of water dummies, last weekend its first few tests only had 3 rows of dummies. Mack really need to come up with a solution, not being able to send an empty train isn’t really a great way to operate long term.

I agree Marc, it a massive difference from previous down time and reopening day 2.0. I guess maybe they are trying to downplay it a bit to avoid more negative press, but I just think they probably should have pinned to the front page on the website that Hyperia was down on Wednesday and that they couldn't guarantee it would be open on Thursday but were trying their best to open (because I don't doubt that was the case for one second!) Let's be honest though, the moment this happened, even this most positive fan would have to admit Hyperia was going to almost certainly be down for at least a day, unless Thorpe were hiding a crane somewhere on site.

Fingers crossed Hyperia is behaving herself come school holidays are in full swing. It's crazy that there's been only 8 days of public operation (one could argue it's more like 7 and a half with the downtime on the Saturday).

Two Trains! Just unfortunately hit school trip season. It’s quieter to go on a weekend than mid-week this time of year.

Fingers crossed for a quieter September 🤞

They are opening Hyperia at 12pm each day this week. I can only assume this allows them to carry out enhanced checks and testing to avoid a valley incident.

I don’t want to jinx it but I think we could be over the hill with the various issues. I say various, I mean really it was just the lift hill with issues. The valley incident could have been prevented with having water dummies and procedures in place for testing. Which I’m sure they now have.

3 hours ago, ML27 said:

I don’t want to jinx it but I think we could be over the hill with the various issues.

Don't mean to be pedantic, but if they're having to open the ride 2 hours late daily, I think we're still very much in the middle of the issue(s)!

3 hours ago, ML27 said:

I say various, I mean really it was just the lift hill with issues. The valley incident could have been prevented with having water dummies and procedures in place for testing. Which I’m sure they now have.

Here's the thing, realistically, no ride should have the test daily with water dummies. It certainly shouldn't be part of the morning routine. Filling a train with water dummies, emptying them, etc is a time-consuming thing too (not 2 hours worth, but still time-consuming). 

Hopefully whatever Thorpe and/or Mack are doing, means they can resolve that problem so they don't have to test with dummies daily.

BOMMMMMMMMMM, dodododo BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM, dodododo, BOMMMMMMMMMMM, dodododo, BOMMMMMMMMMMMM, dodododo

oh are we over, the worst of it, the worst of it, maybe things are up, but we shall see, yes we shall see

dun dun dun, dundun dun dun, dundun dun dun, dundun dun dun, doo doo doo doooooo doooooooooooooo

9 hours ago, Parm Pap said:

BOMMMMMMMMMM, dodododo BOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM, dodododo, BOMMMMMMMMMMM, dodododo, BOMMMMMMMMMMMM, dodododo

oh are we over, the worst of it, the worst of it, maybe things are up, but we shall see, yes we shall see

dun dun dun, dundun dun dun, dundun dun dun, dundun dun dun, doo doo doo doooooo doooooooooooooo

More insight than an endoscopy. Thanks as always Parmesan.

On 7/6/2024 at 10:24 AM, Coaster_Contrarian said:

Staff saying potentially down for the day today. I'm on the RCCGB event which is supposed to have an ERS.

Me too on the "event" which was a little frustrating at times, so yes, I have finally ridden Hyperia. I think it is an outstanding roller coaster with some unique tracking. I do like the restraint.

No doubt many will make adverse comments but it is what we have, it is great, and it cannot be changed, enjoy it.

I don't think one can compare it to other rides, it is unique, in my opinion.

9 minutes ago, planenut said:

Me too on the "event" which was a little frustrating at times, so yes, I have finally ridden Hyperia. I think it is an outstanding roller coaster with some unique tracking. I do like the restraint.

No doubt many will make adverse comments but it is what we have, it is great, and it cannot be changed, enjoy it.

I don't think one can compare it to other rides, it is unique, in my opinion.

Yesterday was my first time on it as well, though the less said about Thorpe's handling of the "event" the better, which is a whole other topic (I left afterwards with a bit of a bitter taste in all fairness).

Hyperia is an excellent coaster and is probably my favourite in the UK, but only just. However, when compared to other coasters in Europe, it probably doesn't crack the top 15.