Hyperia - New for 2024 (Ride thread)

Having done the ride in the front, back and middle, it is without a doubt a stunning ride. Operations seemed very good yesterday. 

It’s a shame the splashdown looks messy at the moment, but hopefully this is something that can be sorted sometime. 

The moments of floater, ejector and hang time on this ride are simply immense IMO. 

All of these good reviews of Hyperia make me excited to ride it, and gutted that I was unable to back in June! I’m now going next month, so I hope it plays ball until then…

As for the splashdown area; that does look like a key disappointment of mine. The effect appears to be a complete damp squib, being hard to photograph from in the area, and I’m also not a fan of the presentation of the surrounding lake based on how it looks in POVs. I’d have hoped that they’d at least tidy up the weeds in it.

Hopefully they do something with that area over closed season. Although there is the massive possibility that since the viewing platform has been scrapped Thorpe think that there is no need tidying the lake area up as no one is really going to see it/pay too much attention to it due to the 7ft fence in the way…

On a slight side tangent, what is the Single Rider Queue like on Hyperia? Does it tend to offer a notable advantage over the main queue, or is any significant advantage potential negated by it being quite busy? Does it get busy, or is it usually quite quiet?

I’m going next month, and I was pondering whether I could potentially use it for a reride if my parents and grandad allow me to reride and they don’t want to go back on. I wouldn’t want to only have 1 ride on Hyperia if possible, but I obviously wouldn’t like to bet on what queue times will be like during August.

Single rider can vary due to a number of factors, but generally I have found on 4/5 attempts it has been between 20 and 30 mins from about 2/3 of the final straight towards the stairs, but on one occasion that same amount was over 40 mins. It seems to have been quiet pre 12 on my visits before getting longer. 

I've noticed different hosts have different ways of batching too which really influence the single rider wait time. 

For example, if the back row needs filling and the next group in the main queue is a group of 4, some hosts will just stick 2 single riders on the back row, where as some will call down the queue for the next group of 2. 

Very different layout indeed, still fairly short but a much more traditional hyper layout.

I do like the layout we got as its very unique, but one thing I like about that other one is the low to the ground final airtime hills. 

Hyperia is great and I'm happy with what we got, but to think what it could have been if they didn't have trims and a bit more at the end of the layout. 

It appears that a 10 minute lift hill stoppage on Sunday made the news and has unfortunately been reported as the ride “breaking again”.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-tallest-rollercoaster-hyperia-grinds-33304243

I know that this was only a minor stoppage that was resolved quickly, but they really will have to hope that it runs flawlessly from here on out, or else the media will leap on every small issue to further the notion that it’s an unreliable ride.

18 hours ago, Matt N said:

It appears that a 10 minute lift hill stoppage on Sunday made the news and has unfortunately been reported as the ride “breaking again”.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/uks-tallest-rollercoaster-hyperia-grinds-33304243

I know that this was only a minor stoppage that was resolved quickly, but they really will have to hope that it runs flawlessly from here on out, or else the media will leap on every small issue to further the notion that it’s an unreliable ride.

Can you name a single ride that runs flawlessly every day, for its entire existence? 

Finally been on Hyperia - and wow, what a bloody ride.

I can not actually believe we have this thing in the UK. It’s a monster.

You really can see it from everywhere.  I particularly like the view of the lift hill as you walk down the path towards it from Inferno‘s direction.

The ride may be short in duration, but I was out of my seat for 6 - 8 business days on my first ride alone. I mean even just going through the stall, you’re airborne for about 20 minutes.

The seat’s only purpose is to support your ass while you climb the lift - after that, you’re up against the lap bar until the gift shop.

The first drop just doesn’t let up, and gives some very weird and different airtime.

It’s also FAST throughout. Of course I knew it was >80mph before riding, but until you get on there you really don’t think about how fast that actually is.  Even through some of the higher points of the ride, which look quite slow off ride, you’re flying (literally) through them at huge speed.

I can honestly say I was speechless the first time I hit the brakes.  It’s so unique and just something totally different for us here in the UK.

Unfortunately the plaza and queue are a bit of a mess, and clearly unfinished. Hopefully this is something that will be sorted before next season, because it would really level the ride up even more.  Also the speed at which the train comes back to the station could do with some work to help with waiting times.

I’m very impressed.  An excellent ride which is perfect for Thorpe.  It’s fantastic to have that new ride buzz at Thorpe again!

I can’t wait to see it lit up for Fright Nights. It’s encouraging to see the permanent lights already there!

Just a thought, does anyone else feel like they haven't built a long enough main queue line? 

I know we're still in a peak period, but it really doesn't look great having all the temporary fencing in the area currently, but I cant see a point in the near future that they won't need this with Hyperia being the main draw.

The main queue could only really hold 60 - 90 minutes, but that was with very limited fasttrack and 1 rap per day. Now rap has been changed to being timed out like other rides and fast track will be gradually increased, the main queue will move much slower. 

I think once Fastrack is in full effect, the main queue will hold roughly 90-120mins worth of queueing. That's not too dissimilar to their aims for other rides. The challenge comes in a few years when it's not the big shiny new thing, and ensuring it still runs the best it can.

I think once it settles it will be fine. But it will be interesting to see if they end up having to "do a Taron". Taron had a main queue originally capable of only holding about 40 minutes of waiting time. That's why Phantasialand had to add the extension of Doom, which was originally unthemed. 

8 minutes ago, Benin said:

RAP is still 1 go and now timed out?

I'm definitely going to beat my record for Thorpe based visiting in September at this rate.

RAP is no longer one go, it's just like any other ride

Even with 2 staff batching from the queues to the stairs yesterday, it was still a bit of a mess unfortunately.

Staff weren't making it clear at points which stairs to go up which meant some from RAP went up single rider, which then caused issues when they got to the station.  

At points they weren't filling up the main queue on the stairs meaning they then fill the station with the SRQ.

Also saw a couple hop over the fence from the SRQ on the stairs to the main queue. Shame they didn't make that fence a bit taller.

Ops in the station were great as always though - was getting through about 700 - 800 an hour. 

On 8/1/2024 at 6:40 PM, Cal said:

Also saw a couple hop over the fence from the SRQ on the stairs to the main queue. Shame they didn't make that fence a bit taller.

You right that they are easy to hop over, and staff are struggling to control four points of joining.

They were making announcements a couple of weeks ago advising one person from each row to stow the bags.

They have a system for moving the cover up or down, to "protect" bags, which cannot work when you have load and offload trying to access that storage.

I went to that Attraction Source event. Was a good day, first time on Hyperia and fit in about 7 rides with the ERT as well. Was really interesting how they designed the layout with influence from other manufacturers like RMC. With the goal of max airtime from Merlin, it's created one heck of a good hypercoaster in terms of layout. Just think they could have done more with the area & theme.

rode hyperia on the 11th.

amazing ride. lift hill was very fast, restraints were super comfortable and the drop was out of this world

my favourite part had to be either the drop or the outer bank.

its nice to see hyperia has also had a positive impact as ops were better overall and queue times were lower than a day last year with a similar amount of guests