Blackpool Pleasure Beach

Dan_Rush

I've found out that a lot of the voting is done by ACE members...

ACE had a trip to the UK this year...

The likes of Towers and Blackpool haven't been in the top 10 Best Park for years... Similarly Nemesis and Valhalla in their respective categories...

Shows how easily these things can be manipulated by recent trips...

The bit about the parks is true, but Valhalla was voted 2nd best water ride last year.

EDIT:  Just had a thought, hopefully the award will encourage them to think about improving throughput, it was only running 8 boats most days in the summer with full queue overflowing from the queueline!

• 3 weeks later...

Alton towers is so much better than tackpool. But I love Blackpool for its heritage. Thorpe is 2nd best uk theme park and you all know this.

By jove I actually agree with you on something.

'Best' is always a tricky word to use with things like theme parks and rides, since it's always such a personal choice.  Thorpe is my favourite UK park and, in my opinion, that makes it the 'best' UK park.  However, I think on a more neutral basis, and looking at the parks on paper, if you will, then it is hard to argue that Alton isn't the UK's number 1.

In terms of UK park no.1, that currently goes to Alton Towers.

Alton Towers for feels more than a themepark, but in a way an experience, it boasts some great prominent coasters, some interesting supporting dark rides amongst other bits and Bob in the realms of the historic gothic Towers & gardens complexes. Yes there park is lacking the magic it probably had 15 years ago but it's still a great place.

Thorpe & Blackpool would be after this, I like Thorpe's Island design and variety of rides whilst Blackpool features many historic rides & the amazing Valhalla.

Chessington is only just in my top 5 at the moment and once I do Paultons (next year fingers crossed), it probably won't be unless they up their game. I rate LLW higher than Chessie in the present day.

Yeah, but number 1 and personal preference are two completely different things.  I think that BPB holds a superior ride lineup, but there is no denying that Alton are leading the UK industry at the moment.

I know you love BPB which is fair enough... but to say BPB has a superior ride lineup is a very bold statement, considering the age and sheer roughness of the majority of their ride lineup. Agreed they have the best water/dark ride in the UK, but I really wouldn't say BPB has a superior ride lineup in comparison to Thorpe & Towers though.

I know you love BPB which is fair enough... but to say BPB has a superior ride lineup is a very bold statement, considering the age and sheer roughness of the majority of their ride lineup. Agreed they have the best water/dark ride in the UK, but I really wouldn't say BPB has a superior ride lineup in comparison to Thorpe & Towers though.

I wasn't saying that as a statement, it was supposed to read as my opinion.

Personally I rate the lineup at BPB much, much higher than any other park in the UK but I can understand the reasons behind others preferring different park's offerings.

An SLC and a cure for insomnia masquerading as a hypercoaster isn't a great start to a ride lineup...

For sheer volume of rides, perhaps its the best in the UK, but quality over quantity is what I say...

As I say, opinions.

I really enjoy PMBO and Infusion is alright on a good day (from my point of view), and the five wooden coasters and Valhalla are some of my favourites. Also Avalanche is unique to the UK, Skyforce is good, I think Steeplechase is the last of its kind and I like all the quirky dark rides.

As I say, opinions.

I really enjoy PMBO and Infusion is alright on a good day (from my point of view), and the five wooden coasters and Valhalla are some of my favourites. Also Avalanche is unique to the UK, Skyforce is good, I think Steeplechase is the last of it's kind and I like all the quirky dark rides.

I disagree,I find PMBO dull and a little boring.

I find Infusion awful, due to how rough it is.

If those last two rides where great, PBP would be my favorite theme park.

I love the woodies,Valhalla, Ice Blast (even though it is meh compared to other clones).

I'm on park today, PMBO is flying round and offering a great ride (due to no wind).

Also everything is open!

Well, apart from the teacups...

This comment made me laugh way more than it should have.  I've never done Blackpool, but if a ride only offers a great ride in certain weather conditions, then surely it's not a good ride (or, at the very least, a poorly designed ride, which is almost as bad)?  

This comment made me laugh way more than it should have. I've never done Blackpool, but if a ride only offers a great ride in certain weather conditions, then surely it's not a good ride (or, at the very least, a poorly designed ride, which is almost as bad)?

It's more down to Blackpool's awful weather to be honest rather than the coaster, there are very few places which have winds that consistently high.

With that said I still enjoy the ride on windy days, but it's much better on days like today with very low winds.

I've been on pepsi max twice... Once back in like 2008 and remember it being terrible. Done it last year, say very back row and the first drop was incredible... But the rest of the ride is just so boring, no airtime and just length for the sake of it.

Infusion is too rough to enjoy and in the middle rows almost rocks back and forth on the inversions like you're stalling, just not enjoyable.

The woodies do show their age a lot and are nothing in comparison to Megafobia.

The park itself has become a very clean and nice place over the recent years and nice to see with their new additions, and Valhalla being amazing when the effects decide to work... Let's hope the new coaster for 2017 does happen and maybe it will have a substantial coaster making BPB worth the visit, as for most of us down south it's too far to go for just a day!

^ I agree about PMBO the first drop and maybe the dive under the lift are the only truly exhilarating parts, the rest just feel a bit... eh. 

Infusion is okayish in the front if you're cool with black outs through all the inversions after the hearline, and yes, personally I didn't really enjoy any of the woodies too much at all (except wild mouse cos that was cute).

Didn't want to put this in the Flume topic as it doesn't really fit there. Yes, all rides might be open at Blackpool at the moment but they aren't struggling, they're in the black apparently. But when they were struggling what did they do? Closed lots down. Monorail because it was expensive to run. And I bet the Flume isn't cheap to run. Trauma Towers still sits there idol and don't forget the lovely fountains. Plus the hate on other places doing staggered openings, Blackpool does it to! Valhalla was open 11:30-5 on a 10-8 day last year. Big One wasn't open till 11 either. That's two of your big stars down.

As for the rides. Valhalla would be so much better at a Park with more money. I know it's expensive for them to run but other parks have expensive rides to. Shall we constantly complain about all the dead effects on Valhalla?

Ice blast is pathetic, worst one of those I've done. Infusion, I don't dislike SLCs but the paint is peeling, it wasn't really an investment and with a 20 minute queue and only half an hour till close last year they took the second train off. Wasn't broken, they just wanted to start their checks early. Better to open on one and add a second in my eyes than close the ride to reduce the throughput when demand is still there.

Heritage is nice, and the classics are alright but you can't live in the past forever. Plus the throughputs are awful at that place. And operations aren't great.

Big One is a waste of steel. First drop fab then the monorail comes. Shame they wanted to keep it up high for as long as possible to give a better skyline than build a decent airtime machine from Arrow. And the ridiculous reasoning behind one train in the wind.