Chessington General Discussion

Ash

I would guess that they wouldn't start automatically purely because there's more cars on the track and if there's been a powercut the sensors might "lose" where the cars are and therefore each block would have to be reset to make sure one hasn't been stopped there. That's my guess.And I'm pretty sure there's emergency lights for Dark attractions like Tomb Blaster in power cuts :)

I would guess that they wouldn't start automatically purely because there's more cars on the track and if there's been a powercut the sensors might "lose" where the cars are and therefore each block would have to be reset to make sure one hasn't been stopped there. That's my guess.And I'm pretty sure there's emergency lights for Dark attractions like Tomb Blaster in power cuts :)

I always thought for theme parks there would be some sort of backup generator, so if the power does go off they have emergency electricity. I was proved wrong earlier though when I heard about the Chessington powercut.As for emergency lighting, yes. you would have thought so. Maybe for rides like Toom Blaster they don't bother, because you'd be able to see the light from the outside. The rides such as Hocus Pocus hall though, they must have candles at least.

Just to elaborate further - Skyway has since had a large Diesel Generator installed for future need, to evacuate Skyway in the event of a powercut.And TPB, the rides are e-stopped first before being evacuated, so the power to the rides is totally cut.Hence why no one has ever died when being evacuated off a Merlin ride.

This is what I don't get. At Thorpe earlier this year, Saw, Samurai and Colossus were all hit by a powercut. The front of Colossus' train was very close to the anti-rollback device at the top of the lift hill just when it was cut, allowing the train to stop there. I was waiting by the main entrance when it came back on, and it started off as normal - surely if Rattlesnake was on the lift hill chain it would do the same?

The engineers would have done that.

Does anyone know if there is a "waiting list" as such when it comes to recruitment at the park? I.e.: if the job you are looking for is not currently listed on the recruitment website, is there somewhere you can go to express your interest for any future positions?

Does anyone know if there is a "waiting list" as such when it comes to recruitment at the park? I.e.: if the job you are looking for is not currently listed on the recruitment website, is there somewhere you can go to express your interest for any future positions?

There is no waiting list no.I am also checking the website constantly for "Rides and Attractions" to come up. :P

Also, do some people start work mid-way through the season? For example: if they had a job vacancy crop up tomorrow, and after the applications/interviews etc, one person had been chosen, would they start the job in September/October, or would they have to wait until the new season? I'm guessing that there will be some Rides/Attractions vacancies by the end of this season if not sooner, especially with the opening of the new land next year.

Also, do some people start work mid-way through the season? For example: if they had a job vacancy crop up tomorrow, and after the applications/interviews etc, one person had been chosen, would they start the job in September/October, or would they have to wait until the new season? I'm guessing that there will be some Rides/Attractions vacancies by the end of this season if not sooner, especially with the opening of the new land next year.

Chessington & Zoo usually recruit for Halloween Hocus Pocus.However, This is never a definate!There is also a reduced chance that they will not recruit this season due to the closure of Beanoland.I would imagine though there would definately be jobs available for the 2010 season. :PIs it Rides and Attractions you are after?

CLOSED: WEDNESDAY 26TH AUGUST!Chessington regret to inform that it will be closed on the 26th August due to a power faliure. It will re-open Thursday 27th August.We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

Just found this on the website, good to see it will be open thursday though.

I am pretty sure there was one today, here's a quote from someone on Chessington's facebook page posted 6 hours ago.

can I ask if the problem with power cuts is going to be sorted out soon as we are plannng a visit with my children on monday, we dont have the money to waste if we are going to be standing around for hours at a time like my friend has today. If we do... expierience something like this I will be interested to know if we can have some sort of compensation.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion