Rumba Rapids

Ash

The breakdown video posted above reminds me of something that's always puzzled me about RR: why was it designed so that the water level in the lake is below the running level of the ride? On most Intamin rapids rides water can flow between the lake and channel freely, whereas on RR they’re not really connected except for an overflow at the base of the lift.

I've always presumed it must be easier to pump up the 'cleaner' water already in the system that needs practically no filtering than it would be constantly taking the 'dirty' water and having to filter it (to the extent that it is filtered). But then why other ones aren't like this I don't know.

• 1 month later...

Rumba has been needing a refurb really since the Ribena contract ended during 2007. I remember riding Rumba in 2006/2007 and compared to now, the ride then was actually quite good, with the extra water effect, the (lit) indoor tunnel theming and the squirting lizard at the entrance.

Sadly it could be a while (if ever) before we see the ride receive some much needed care. Canada Creek and Lost City could also do with some TLC as well.

What happened to the massive hose near the platform of the ride? I saw this is once.

Probably the same thing that happened to all the other water effects - either gone or broken/switched off.

Who remembers the waterfall on the way to the tunnel? (Not the one over the entrance, there was one at the side before the tunnel). Think it was removed around 2009/10.

I wish they were more devoted to their attractions, rumba has the potential to be quite good.

Probably turned off because the weather wasn't particularly suitable to being drenched like an idiot...

Not due to lazyness, but to actually ensure guests enjoy themselves... If you wanna get drenched, go on Tidal Wave...

I'm not just referring it to this season, I mean last Season as well, I saw it once earlier on last season and never saw it again. Not in the summer or anything.

This is the hose in action. It lasted about a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGdYzlqGg-4

I guess you're referring to this? Like Pluk said back last year, it probably isn't used due to the fact Rumba uses the dirty lake water just like Loggers does; and thats a hell of a lot of dirty water to throw on people... It also hurts. I remember last year it was on, and then turned off when we went under it, which just gave a massive thump of water on our heads.

I guess you're referring to this? Like Pluk said back last year, it probably isn't used due to the fact Rumba uses the dirty lake water just like Loggers does; and thats a hell of a lot of dirty water to throw on people... It also hurts. I remember last year it was on, and then turned off when we went under it, which just gave a massive thump of water on our heads.

But I swear they only just installed it?

But I swear they only just installed it?

I believe they did. But, admittedly I can't remember the exact date; a new legislation has come into force stating that anything that 'wets' a rider more than a spray and is added after a certain has to be chlorinated water. Rumba and Loggers get used to it due to their age, but for example if a new water feature was added, or a new water ride for that matter it would have to use chlorinated water, or so I've been told.

Who remembers the waterfall on the way to the tunnel? (Not the one over the entrance, there was one at the side before the tunnel). Think it was removed around 2009/10.

I wish they were more devoted to their attractions, rumba has the potential to be quite good.

Yes! The waterfall after the first bend.

It was an old Thunder River effect that had been broken for a decade. One year they fancied turning it on again, and it looked fantastic for a few weeks before embarassingly collapsing into the channel due to years of rot. (Or so I remember hearing, I think there was a video of the aftermath on the internet at one point.)

I believe they did. But, admittedly I can't remember the exact date; a new legislation has come into force stating that anything that 'wets' a rider more than a spray and is added after a certain has to be chlorinated water. Rumba and Loggers get used to it due to their age, but for example if a new water feature was added, or a new water ride for that matter it would have to use chlorinated water, or so I've been told.

New legislation came in around 96 - all the water they pour on people from Rumba will more than likely be straight from tap. None of the water features on rumba are straight from the lake, so you've been misinformed here.

New legislation came in around 96 - all the water they pour on people from Rumba will more than likely be straight from tap. None of the water features on rumba are straight from the lake, so you've been misinformed here.

Ah okay, then my argument for not using it is invalid; but there is the water restriction which I thought. Cheers for clearing that up.

That waterfall was fantastic along with the water squarts on the way to the tunnel! Don't forget the shower near the end too, things like this made the ride along with the affects in the tunnel. They were seen but not working, then covered with lights which don't seem to be on this season. Such a shame to see this ride rot away!

I have no actual idea (but was told by someone reliable) that those new rules apply to new builds only and are not enforced retrospectively, so old rides like this and loggers are happily throwing lake water over you. And as it goes straight back into the lake system I'm sure they wouldn't be allowed to dump large amounts if treated water in it.

Nah, all this means is water in the actual lake system. So if you jumped into rumbas water, it's not treated. Best of luck, it might be awful.

Water pumped through the features will be from tap water though. Unless they have a filtered system, of which I highly doubt they do considering they're all hose pipes. So taps for that.

Water into lakewise, it's a man made lake so doesn't matter. But the water they chuck on you I highly doubt is chlorinated anyway (other than chlorine in the local mains) but either way it wouldn't matter.

See, I was under the same influence as Pluk, that it only applied to new-builds; but it would make sense as to why some Rumba effects are no longer in use, if it was using lake water or just general water out of the trough. But who knows (who really cares, it's a dirty rapids ride at the end of the day).

Nah, all this means is water in the actual lake system. So if you jumped into rumbas water, it's not treated. Best of luck, it might be awful.

Water pumped through the features will be from tap water though. Unless they have a filtered system, of which I highly doubt they do considering they're all hose pipes. So taps for that.

Water into lakewise, it's a man made lake so doesn't matter. But the water they chuck on you I highly doubt is chlorinated anyway (other than chlorine in the local mains) but either way it wouldn't matter.

Yep, the trough may be lake water so anything that splashes over side is lakewater and this is allowed as the main ride is older than the change in legislation. But most pipes appear to be fresh tap water. It wouldn't be chlorinated or trated, just ordinary tap so there is no risk to the late (its the same as watering a garden with a hosepipe.

That youtube video looks nasty, I wouldn't want to be covered in that much water unless it is a very hot day, thats what Tidal Wave is for. Rapids should feel fun with the threat of water splashes.

• 3 weeks later...

So why is it that all the good themeing elements have been gone for so long? Would it hint that they are planning to remove it? Also with the waterfall in the tunnel section can the boats ever go right against it cos my ones always seem to be pushed away from it

I don't think the boats can go right again the waterfalls, it's never happened to me anyways. I'd be a bit annoyed if that got me because it would soak you :ohmy:

About the themeing elements gone, it's disappointing. A couple of water features could actually make a really big difference to the current ride experience in my opinion. The ride is so boring now, and I can't see Rumba going for a quite a long time.

I hope we will see a re-theme at some point soon, or even just a couple of new water effects.