Rumba Rapids

Ash

The Rapids are in a dire need of a repaint, just look at its entrance hut. I think the landscape around and the queue needs some attention. It just looks like your walking through a dump. The tunnel needs something. Anything. The loading area is just so bland and horrible. Maybe give the wood some watery graphics or something. The grass around the ride needs light! Its all dead!

I think just sorting out the audio first would be a good start so we can enjoy it whilst queuing. :)I agree that the entrance part needs a re-paint.The bright green for the queue line also needs a re-paint.AKid - I think if it got watery effects on the queue, than would be an added extra.I persoanly don't mind the loading bay as it has a bit of theming on the operating control roof.I think one of the most important things, on top of the audio, will be to make the Rumba Rapids ride more enjoyable by actually running some of the effects.You could easily control how long they are on for, so people are not tempted to stand up.Maybe add a few signs around the queue to remin seated? :) We already have the announcement that plays stating "Welcome to Rumba Rapids! Before...... So you must remain seated....... Thank you!" :(It would be nice to see Rumba Rapids getting some attention over this closed season.However, I can fully appreciate that they are busy planning / creating SAW: Alive.

2010: RideI would love Rumba Rapids to have some of its water effects returned for the 2010 season.I already know why some can't be used, but some just need to return or more into place!I know there is always the issue of people standing up to avoid them, but it is a water ride!

The beginning of the 2009 season was brilliant. I'm sure everyone remembers that there were squirters all around the ride and the massive amount of water before the tunnel; everyone would be guaranteed of getting soaked. Then, it got progressively worse. And worse. This does show that Thorpe can make these effects work - but it's just a matter of keeping them there. I wonder if this will be the year?

If they haven't got the money to re-build a queue line, what makes you think they have the money to completely re-build a new rapids ride? :)

In my post, I didn't actually mention re-building the rapids themselves, just the surroundings as the plan was drawn. Other people are just throwing their ideas about. If anything, Rumba will be gone, rather than any huge work be done there. 'If it ain't broke, why fix it'?In regard to the effects, everyone knows that Thorpe are awful at the upkeep of these. However, does anyone remember the latter days of Thunder River and the mist they had pouring over the water and all through the cave? That was exciting and made it look fantastic.

However, does anyone remember the latter days of Thunder River and the mist they had pouring over the water and all through the cave? That was exciting and made it look fantastic.

Has this ever worked on Rumba Rapids? I'm sure there was somthing like that towards the end of the 2009 season in the tunnel.I do agree with all whats said though, the rapids need a major referbish, I disagree they need to rip it all out and start again, just repair whats there and its not a bad ride imo.

The only way you cant get wet on the ride is when nothing is working! Which tbf is barely ever. The woman, then the water veils which barely turn off, then the water cannons, then the mice, the waves, the 4 heads bound to get you wet, then finally the buckets if you're unlucky! I've never come off dry, no matter how hard I try!In comparison to rumba, which has... the waterfall at entrance to tunnel which is stuck on.. and nothing else!

I remember when Rumba was Thunder River there were lots of random water jets placed along the entire course (A bit like the 1's that are now very poor before the lift into the station.)Thorpe park could really do with spending a little extra on getting the Rapids back into shape..Effects like this (Skip to 1:05mins) ...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmhgZkFN29A&feature=relatedwould be awsome!!Also does anyone no why the waterfall feature on the rock face was removed just before the tunnle?

Also does anyone no why the waterfall feature on the rock face was removed just before the tunnel?

The whole section broke off, fell into the rapids and sailed along the entire course, in full view of guests. No, really, it did. Thank God, it didn't fall on anybody. Shows what a state the ride is in and a reason the cave was re-themed into the rumba shed a few years back.

The whole section broke off, fell into the rapids and sailed along the entire course, in full view of guests. No, really, it did. Thank God, it didn't fall on anybody. Shows what a state the ride is in and a reason the cave was re-themed into the rumba shed a few years back.

I would imagine Rumba Rapids was put as unavailable for quite a few days then!This is just another layer of the cake which proves that Rumba Rapids is calling out for some love and attention! :)

I only really noticed that Rumba Rapids was in such a bad state last year. Although I have not seen the power shower working since about 2005, I assumed it was because it was too cold for guests and had been turned off. When I visited at the start of 2009, it was clear that the theming was fading and much had been broken. One of the best parts of the ride was the squrting lizard at the entrance, which for some reason has been turned around and cut off from the water supply! Does anybody know why this is? I do remember one year when it was out of action because the pipe was broken. The bridge is covered with cobwebs and peeling paint, just more evidence that nobody seems to care about the ride anymore.I did like the waterfall that had been fixed earlier on in the year. I had never seen it before and thought it was a great effect. The next visit Rumba Rapids was closed and after that I noticed the waterfall had gone completely, with a bare patch outlining where it used to be. Thanks for the information, it sounds really bad that the theming just fell off like that!:) That was also the first time I noticed the new lights in the tunnel. The old sound effects were still playing, and they were slightly eerie with nothing but darkness to accompany them. Further on in the tunnel were the new glowing LEDs, which may be a really cheap and tacky replacement for the 'Source of the Current' scene but it did the job at least. I don't like the way that Thorpe Park took that view on it, though; if they want to amaze riders then don't go for the least amazing option and stick a few light in. Also, the purple glow that used to light up the overhead pipes and waterfalls opposite had gone leaving absolutely nothing. Most people probably wouldn't notice there is even a waterfall there if it was not for the noise.Here are some not so good photos I took inside the tunnel. With the flash on you can see, under the LEDs, some old theming still in place or covered in black cloth.Posted ImagePosted Image

I only really noticed that Rumba Rapids was in such a bad state last year. Although I have not seen the power shower working since about 2005, I assumed it was because it was too cold for guests and had been turned off. When I visited at the start of 2009, it was clear that the theming was fading and much had been broken.

The power shower actually works!It was turned off and cannot be used due to an accident that occured on Rumba Rapids after someone stood up to avoid the water effect.This is a problem with all water effects really, the risk of guests standing up.We can all say it is simple to tell guests not to stand up, but with most of THORPE PARK's visitors being rebelious (sp?), this may not be possible! :)

In the old days, the cave was dark and the only highlight was the waterfall that is still there now. Not much at all, but worked very well without loads of lights and sound effects.However, I do believe the cave was in a bit of a state and was starting to fall down, so was a good idea for the park to 're-theme' it when they did. Shame tho, the cave did work very well. In all, Thunder River was a lot better and the rock theming would have suited it's neighbour's volcano very well indeed.

didn't it used to have pink lights before?I remember the first time I went on it which was fright nights 2007, and I went on it without getting off about 6 times. and the tunnel didn't have the waterfall over the entrance, it just had the one on the wall inside exept there was lots of smoke over the water and waterfall and there were pink lights hi-lighting it all. it was much better + funner when it was like that. :)