Fright Nights

BiHazz-ord

Once again, The Curse had a lot of potential to be great yesterday. Would have by far been the best of the three goes I've had on it, had it not been for the fact that you can quite clearly see daylight throughout multiple points of the maze as the evacuation doors don't seem to fill up the space cut out in the wall. Such an atmosphere killer... Oh, and that for the third time running, we caught up with the next group about a third of the way through. They could at least do what Hellgate used to, where if you were going too quickly an actor would try and hold your group up for a bit.

I went to THORPE PARK for fright nights on Friday 21st and (despite what I've been reading on here) really enjoyed it, one of my best Fright Nights ever I think! ;) First off, the music was really very good in my opinion... :) It changed for all the rides at 4PM and not once did I go on a ride which had regular music on - Quite impressive!I also found that the volume of the music around the park was really very good as well, great atmosphere from 4PM.The Lights This Year were okay, the majority of areas had the usual green and blue but some are just plain white which kind of ruined it at some points.The lack of fog machines on that Friday was very disappointing, however I didn't feel that it made that much difference, although it would have been nice.I wasn't as disappointed in the theming as I thought I was going to be! The nooses dotted around the park were a nice touch and the barrels were also good to add to the atmosphere after dark. Also I noticed some dead, beheaded bodies dotted around the place as well (on Colossus's nets I first saw them) and that added to it all as well. ... I just wished the park would have cleared out the cigarette butts in them.... ;) The mazes well exceeded my expectations (apart from 7) again this year and what an amazing maze experiment 10 was! A great maze that I urge everyone to try out.The asylum was very good as usual and the changes were well received. I loved it!!The curse was actually pretty scary on that day (well better than last year) and although was not used to its full potential, it had some great moments and the cage we were stuck in at the end was a nice touch! 7....was terrible and lets leave it at that.Saw was the usual but the lack of smoke effects in there was disappointing. :D Overall we had a great day. The roaming actors were brilliant, the audio was fantastic and the (majority of) mazes were far better than last year!Well done THORPE!! (I'm going back on Thursday! :D )

Does anyone have any of the other layouts for the mazes? I'm trying to explain what they were like to a member of my group that didn't go in and it would be a lot easier if I had a layout to show them =D

While not being a direct layout the thorpe park youtube account has a number of videos from inside the mazes (excluding experiment 10) which help to give you an idea of the look and feel of the mazeHope this helps.

They really should be ashamed of their levels of parkwide general halloween theming, my local zoo has much more theming such as skeletons and figurines dotted around around cleverly placed and in my view it puts Thorpe Park to shame in terms of general atmosphere.I just wanted to edit this because I really do feel ashamed of Thorpe compared to my local zoo, the staff are all dressed up and again the parkwide theming and music for the amosphere with so much going on, there was a fire breathing show which did some very nice stunts and eating and it was revealed afterwards it was infact done by zoo keepers and general staff who had been trained especially and it made me so angry to think, if a zoo can do something like this then why the hell can't a massive chain theme park follow their example?Considering the staff weren't trained they where good at adding to the atmosphere interacting with the public etc, it just shows that if you do put the effort in, it makes it so much better, which is what fright nights really could and should be.

Edited by ste193

I know I done a review the other week but I will do one quickly now.Got there for opening time and the atmosphere was completely dead. No music, not even the usual chart music was playing which would have made the cold, wet weather slightly more enjoyable to stand around in. The I.T systems at advanced ticket collection shut down and despite it being very busy and getting into the park 45 minutes later, Stealth and Nemesis Inferno were out of that way in about 20 minutes.I'm not sure if it was due to Fright Nights or we were just lucky, but Saw: Alive was the scariest I have ever seen it! There was plenty of actors and they were all really enthusiastic, really set the mood for the mazes later on. At 03:30pm we headed to Asylum to get to the front of the queue and were in after 5 minutes of it opening. The main body of the maze was as scary as usual but the ending was horrific!

I was at the back and we saw the chainsaw man revving up his chainsaw and slowly walking towards us. Our group stopped and started backing up, then I realized saw a man in a clown mask with a pick axe running towards us. I couldn't have been paying much attention as I walked straight past him to begin with, but after becoming aware of his presence our whole group was huddled against a wall with a crazy man wielding a chainsaw and a clown with a pick axe!

Asylum managed to shake me up a lot due to the ending and really left me with a positive feel about Fright Nights.The other mazes were all good, although E 10 was not at all scary to me this time. And we then headed to Barry and Stuart. That was fairly average and although they managed to pull a few laughs and perform some weird tricks, the ending was probably the strongest part of the show.We was supposed to stay until 10:00pm to re-do all the mazes, but we left at 08:00 because we had done everything and my Vans were all soaking wet. Apart from the start of the day, the atmosphere was fairly good and the mazes, apart from E10 have made massive improvements since last week. Over all I would give this years Fright Night a 9/10 based on my views of the last two visits I have made.

Well, I went again yesterday with some different friends and my goodness it was shocking compared to my first visit a week ago...Storm Surge broke down 3 times for about an hour each time, we saw people being evacuated from the boats on the lift hill 3 timesStealth broke down at about 4pm and never re started Saw broke down 3 times, the people at the front of the queue claimed they had waited 3 and half hours, because they had to let through a backlog of fastrack people firstSaws queue line was silentSeven had to do an e-stop whilst we were in the queue because "something fell off the roof" After pre-queuing for Experiment 10, the queue was evacuated after the first group due to "Technical difficulties" which the staff refused to elaborate on.Queuing for Depth Charge took 40 minutes because the conveyer belt broke, and we weren't even informedMr Monkey was down for about 2 hours during the afternoon Samurai was down for about 30 minutes in the afternoon 2 of the Queue line time boards were offThey horrendously oversold every single fast track ticket to the point were every main queue was at least 90 minutes+ even though, in Saw for example, the queue was well past the cattle pen enclosure. They were running Nemesis on one train until about 12ish for some reasonWalking around the park the speakers would randomly burst out chart music then switch back to the Saw 3 OSTDetonators Photo booth was shutSome girl took a makeup mirror on Detonator which fell out and smashed, the attendant took about 10 minutes just to sweep it up with no sense of urgency at allAfter finally going on experiment 10 with the priority passes we received, I discovered the whole maze had been ruined by the fact they were batching us in groups of 25-30. FAR more than the maze could cope withAgain, on the Asylum we were put in with a group of 15. There aren't enough actors to cope with 15 people. The chainsaw man in the Asylum didn't even start it, he just waved it about like some type of magic wandThe actor from the last room in Seven sent us out a fire exit for some bizarre reason, and we ended up in the backstage area, with no guidance on how to hell to get out of the area. It was just a nightmare. That said we still had a great time, with some wise queuing we got on a hefty 20+ rides, and all of the mazes. And I can forgive the fact that reliability is an unfortunate fact of life at theme parks. But I'm seriously shocked at how much 2 visits to the park can vary so much. Overall, for the past 3 years I've visited, this year has been my worst experience so far.

Anyone who's interested in finding out what the routes for Asylum, Hellgate and Se7en back in 2006 were should check this site out http://www.s104638357.websitehome.co.uk/html/magazine_23a_01.htm]HERE[/url].Pretty sure the Se7en one has remained unchanged, Hellgate's seems the same, but unsure about Asylum. Experiment 10, I could more or less recall, but don't know any link that shows one. ;)

And I can forgive the fact that reliability is an unfortunate fact of life at theme parks. But I'm seriously shocked at how much 2 visits to the park can vary so much. Overall, for the past 3 years I've visited, this year has been my worst experience so far.

I've been to parks all over the world okay, and unfortunately its only really a sad fact of life at Thorpe Park.