Fright Nights

BiHazz-ord

By doing this, they're actually expanding their audience of who can experience the event. In theory this means more people are satisfied, more people return the following year, more profit and more investment.

But for some reason, Thorpe Park's recent actions show us they don't want to expand their audience, at the end of the day, Thorpe's 'target audience' aren't really the type that would notice the difference between a tent and a castle.. But I'm extremely over exaggerating by saying that haha.

I agree. A tent's a tent. It doesn't bother me by being there. There's no real alternative is there? Maybe if they bought a black tent.. but um yeah. ;)

Black tents would definately be a step up :D Still.. great mazes either wayI'm all hyped up and ready for FN this year, its my favourite time of the year :D The atmosphere is on fiireePosted Image

But for some reason, Thorpe Park's recent actions show us they don't want to expand their audience, at the end of the day, Thorpe's 'target audience' aren't really the type that would notice the difference between a tent and a castle.. But I'm extremely over exaggerating by saying that haha.

Indeed you are! ;) There are plenty of 16-30 year olds who perhaps aren't the biggest fan of the mazes.I think to an average group of young adults who go to the park once or twice a year. In that group of friends, there is usually somebody who, for example, does not like a couple of the attractions. If that person who is not experiencing the attraction was still entertained then the fact that they've not been on the ride specifically does not matter as much as they've still enjoyed themselves.If the people who do not want to do the mazes can be entertained whilst they wait for their friends then they are vastly expanding the amount of people at the park who can enjoy the event. Of course, there are the rides if you're not into the mazes, but then, the example above still stands.

We should also remember that Halloween is just a way bigger deal in America than it is here. Sure we ask why we don't get US quality coasters sometimes which is a fair comparison, but we really are coming at Halloween from a whole different angle to them. In the US every street is decorated up to the nines, people create 'home haunts' in their garages ect, so of course the in-park events will reflect the bigger cultural significance of Halloween. Universal have a world-renowned park to stage in, massive visitor numbers from all over the world, a massive budget and are located in a country where Halloween is a huge date in the calender. Thorpe have a much smaller market, little to no in-house themed design capability, and are in a country where half the population tries to ignore Halloween's very existence. I think in this way we're lucky to get as big an event as we do.Still hate the tents though ;)

Personally I think Thorpe have simplified their target audience far too much. All of my friends who have been to both Thorpe and Alton prefer Alton because of the better themeing, variety of rides and atmosphere.Some of the decisions for Fright Nights last year were just bizarre. Changing the soundtracks to the Halloween versions costs nothing and yet this only happened after people complained. Barely any added themeing and white tents means Thorpe really think most people don't care about atmosphere at all I guess.

The tents are not an issue they just need something to fit in with Halloween, I.e. camoflauge netting, fishing netts etc! Its does not coast the earth, but besides that I don't care all I need say is London Dungeon or London Bridge expereince! Because nothing says scary like the underground trains, and kebab shop! On my previous point I wan't to make it very clear to you it will be like saw alive at the very beggining, probably very inconsistent for the first few nights after that all actors will have done there rotor and are ready to scare! So I recon the second weekend would be the best time to go because they will still be very fresh and at there peak! Whereas when you get into half term they will be slightly tiered and MAYBE not giving there full performance, Like I see occasionly on Saw Alive, sometimes lively actors and other not!Trust me I know sheepie does these mazes and I have had expereince during Halloween itself, turning my house facade and garden into a terror zone! And to a much better standard than thorpe park achieved!

It was a good maze, but was poor towards the end as the lighting was to bright. Also there were never enough actors. If these issues were fixed, would be great.

Maybe thats why I found It great.. (Not that great though)I went on the first weekend of FN last year, and me and my friend waited outside the gate of hellgate before 4, then we were first and I was at the front, and for practically the whole maze I couldn't see a thing!So there is me saying it was too dark whilst everyone else is saying it was too bright :lol: Maybe its because they hadn't turn all the lights on yet? not sure.

When I did Hellgate last year, it was genuinely the poorest experience I have ever had in a scare attraction (granted, haven't been on many, but that doesn't lessen that statement's worth really).There was a lack of actors, lack of consistency and just general lack of scares. I remember doing it in 05 as well, with a similar poor feeling coming out. So, think it's best that Hellgate kicked the bucket before it became a joke.

When I did Hellgate last year, it was genuinely the poorest experience I have ever had in a scare attraction (granted, haven't been on many, but that doesn't lessen that statement's worth really).

Now I've thought and remembered it properly, if I wasn't at the front, I would have been terribly bored.The layout is far too long for such little actors and themeing, half of it is dark corridors without actors

For me, Hellgate was the best of the mazes in 2008. They are all just so hit and miss. In 2008, I did Se7en and barely saw an actor at all.

I agree with the hit and miss thing, nature of a scare attraction really.Whilst my first visit in Se7en was in 2009, I did hear really bad things from friends and family in prior years. Last year, Se7en was on top form and my favourite maze.

I actually had one of the most terrifying moments of my life in Hellgate. I was shocked at the time and still am to this day but one certain scare nearly brought me to tears. I think it was towards the end of the maze with the long corridors and hairpin turns that an actor managed to push with both feet off the walls and (kind of) climb along them, towering over me while I was at the back of the group. It worked as such a fantastic scare with the brilliant acting the actor was putting in that I couldn't get the picture out of my head for days - just shows that the experience really does depend on being at the right place at the right time. I really don't doubt that Thorpe will bring along another fantastic scare maze, the atmosphere rocks at Fright Nights and there's always a scare! :P