Fright Nights

BiHazz-ord

I really enjoyed Experiment 10, especially the first more "interactive" parts.

It was panic-led and stressful. Most of the latter half seemed a little poor by comparison, and lacking in actors.

That said, overall, it gave FN mazes a new level and completely overshadows the others.Asylum, Se7en and The Curse sorry, but they're just rubbish. None of them did anything for me and the white tents are just hideous. The park seems to do very little to Halloween-itself up compared to Alton or Chessington, though. Some of the musical changes were nice, but many were inappropriate - such as that on Flying Fish!

Have to disagree. Had first ever Fright Nights visit on Thursday and found the mazes in general to be good and Experiment 10 and The Asylum were certainly better than the "What Lies Within" version of Terror of the Towers over the last couple of years. OK, Alton may have more atmosphere for obvious reasons but the setting of a maze is not everything. We will see what Alton has to offer next week but a Birds of Prey show doesn't exactly shout "Halloween" either.

^Think what Dan means is the additional theming (or for Thorpe, lack thereof), rather than the actual attraction line-up...And yeah, sod Experiment 10... Never in a million years for me please... But it's good that something rather unique has turned up over here... I think only Thorpe will ever have the gall to go to the level seen over in the States (on scariness levels), but maybe newer creative teams will make these events much bigger and better in future...

I'm going to my first Fright Night on Sunday (16th) - needless to say I'm kinda bricking it. Think I'm gonna give Experiment 10 a miss - crapping my pants with fear just doesn't sound very appealing to me! Not sure if I'll do the other mazes, I've been in Saw Alive and just didn't enjoy it, I know the other mazes will be different experiences but they still don't sound very appealing!

The thing is with many of the American attractions, whilst their detail in set design and general themeing is incredible, they tend not to be that scary due to the constant streams of people roaming through them. Not like our groups being dispatched every so often. This takes away from much of the isolation and you can therefore see where many of the actors are ahead of you before you've got to them.

Have to disagree. Had first ever Fright Nights visit on Thursday and found the mazes in general to be good and Experiment 10 and The Asylum were certainly better than the "What Lies Within" version of Terror of the Towers over the last couple of years. OK, Alton may have more atmosphere for obvious reasons but the setting of a maze is not everything. We will see what Alton has to offer next week but a Birds of Prey show doesn't exactly shout "Halloween" either.

I am not talking about the mazes. And Exp 10 would not suit Alton Towers in a million years either. Their mazes suit them and I guess Thorpe's suit Thorpe!I am talking about lighting and general parkwide ambience. I felt the 2011 FN ambience much diluted compared to say 2005, or even 2008 when I last visited.Asylum just doesn't do it for me - it's just a room with strobes and mental patients. I just didn't find it scary really, although I know others do. I prefer more scripted/drama led and theatrical mazes which have scenes as a focal point.As for a Birds of Prey Show, well it's an additional piece of entertainment which I can hardly criticize.

In terms of scariness, HHN at Universal has so many visitors that people are disbatched in larger groups and in some videos it just looks like a constant stream people, meaning quite often you see the scare actors way before they get to you. In terms of themeing though, their efforts look out of this world. This forces less shock scares and more atmospheric setpieces, which I see as a good thing.This for example, is an Edgar Allen Poe maze set from this year. Posted ImageAlso, for Orlando at least, the 6ish Scarezones and 8ish Mazes change every year.

I am not talking about the mazes. And Exp 10 would not suit Alton Towers in a million years either. Their mazes suit them and I guess Thorpe's suit Thorpe!I am talking about lighting and general parkwide ambience. I felt the 2011 FN ambience much diluted compared to say 2005, or even 2008 when I last visited.

I have to totally agree with you, although I had a great time. I also felt the ambience to be worse.Lots of lights are gradually being turned into plain white lights as they break over time, like Quantum for example which used to look brilliant when green, the Saw area etc.I also preferred the music in previous years, this year the music was too rocky/dancy and didn't seem spooky in most places. Some of the music played in 2004 - 2007 was much better, it consisted of many midnight syndicate tracks and some film tracks like The ring, Gremlins and the epic Charlie and the Chocolate Factory intro music that was used on Rumba Rapids in 2005 . Even when Duel and Vampire themes were used the atmosphere was much better.I think Detonator and Asylum are the only two attractions which have kept the same Fright Night music.

I agree with what has been said about the lighting; harsh white floodlights don't quite evoke the same atmosphere as the green/blue lights of old. The Saw area in particular has so much wasted potential.That said, I went yesterday and I really enjoyed Fright Nights this year. I think Experiment 10 and The Asylum are a cut above The Curse and Se7en though; there is a noticeable divide in both intensity and quality. Having the former two not situated in marquees certainly helps! Experiment 10 is a breath of fresh air, but was clearly too much for some - I've never seen so many people bail out of a maze halfway through. From the queueline, we regularly saw distressed-looking guests being shown out of a sidedoor by an out-of-character actor! The Asylum does certainly still do it for me, and there seemed to be way more actors in there on my visit - intense stuff. Se7en and The Curse are both OK, nothing more. We were stuck in a non-moving queue for Se7en for ages, with no announcement as to why nothing was happening. Later a staff member told us the shutdown was due to a nail sticking out of the set, and a broken smoke machine...Along with Experiment 10, I also very much enjoyed the presence of the new roaming actors! There were around 5 all playing various members of a freak circus - to have them pushing around a Fright Nights 10th birthday cake was a nice touch!Posted ImageFull review over at Total Thorpe Park (and contains spoilers!).

I saw at the end of your video your going to alton towers on the 22nd, so am I with a couple of mates. Ill be dressed up as the mad hatter, so if you see me, come and say hey :rolleyes: lol

Yh lol will do I can't decide what to dress up as yet scarefest has a more family trickle treat vibe where as at fright nights its more about murdering insane people

It's intereesting how more and more negative comments are coming in about Experiemnt 10. On the first few nights - everything we recieved was overly positive. Even on Satuday we LOVED it!. But over the weekend a few negative "You Reviews" have crept in. Maybe the more people know about it the less affected they are ?We will be constantly addeding "You Reviews" to our main review page as we get themhttp://scaretour.weebly.com/Don't forget - we have EXCLUSIVE behind the scenes access to Experiement 10 on Friday afternoon - places are extremely limited!

^^ I really want to go to that, but its unlikely.To anyone who stayed until 10pm this weekend, did fright nights look anything like this?Posted ImageThe park looks best covered in smoke and lightsAnyone remember 2007? When samurai was engulfed in fog and the lights on the pods looked incredible?And when stealth had the 'Warning: falling objects' sign, and had dead bodies under the tophat?Good times, I wonder if the atmosphere will improve for half term

It's intereesting how more and more negative comments are coming in about Experiemnt 10. On the first few nights - everything we recieved was overly positive. Even on Satuday we LOVED it!. But over the weekend a few negative "You Reviews" have crept in. Maybe the more people know about it the less affected they are ?We will be constantly addeding "You Reviews" to our main review page as we get themhttp://scaretour.weebly.com/Don't forget - we have EXCLUSIVE behind the scenes access to Experiement 10 on Friday afternoon - places are extremely limited!

Are you able to post any sort of pictures / reviews of that event? Something I'd love to do, but am unable to attend. :rolleyes:

To anyone who stayed until 10pm this weekend, did fright nights look anything like this?[Photo]The park looks best covered in smoke and lightsAnyone remember 2007? When samurai was engulfed in fog and the lights on the pods looked incredible?And when stealth had the 'Warning: falling objects' sign, and had dead bodies under the tophat?Good times, I wonder if the atmosphere will improve for half term

Vortex looked like that once it got dark - had a fantastic smoke machine & there was light shining through the small holes in the dropping floor which looked awesome!It's a shame that Samurai didn't have its smoke machine this year (at least on our visit) - as you say, the pod lights & smoke = amazing.

I had a fantastic day at Fright Nights yesterday, I didn't find Experiment 10, Asylum and The Curse overly scary just very jumpy and more funny to walk through, but I was on the verge of tears in the first room of Se7en... The rest of it was fine but that first room made me so scared I had to bury my head in some random girls back. Not sure what it was about it but something made me really uneasy and I found it hard to even look at the actor in the room with out feeling the need to cry, which is unusual for me... O.o