THE SWARM: Speculation & Theories

ZC2009

It's from a game. Starcraft 2- Heart of the Swarm. They may have taken inspiration from this for their graphics. I'm hoping with all my will that this isn't another intellectual property investment. There are however, too many coincidences between a remake of the film, The Swarm coming out next year and also the film description posted on a previous page does link very closely to the scenic elements to the ride.

It's from a game. Starcraft 2- Heart of the Swarm. They may have taken inspiration from this for their graphics. I'm hoping with all my will that this isn't another intellectual property investment. There are however, too many coincidences between a remake of the film, The Swarm coming out next year and also the film description posted on a previous page does link very closely to the scenic elements to the ride.

Starcraft 2 I can garantee will have nothing to do with this. I just posted that image because swarm aliens in recent movies have been damn similar to the Starcraft race, Zerg.Filmwise, I am not sure how well that will go down if the park has IPs from different companies in the same park

Remember the first Saw teasers? Nothing to do with Saw.

The few videos which could have pointed at anything? They have jumped ahead here and we are about where we were at in October with saw (Name / Mini site release)If I remember correctly the name was released along with the announcement of the connection to the movies, I dont see how they could release The Swarm with no details of an IP if it was going to be so..

The few videos which could have pointed at anything?If I remember correctly the name was released along with the announcement of the connection to the movies, I dont see how they could release The Swarm with no details of an IP if it was going to be so..

Agree with Marc here. If there was a relation to an IP surely they'd release that information with the ride announcement.

Why does anyone think its an IP? It says no where on the site it is so id assume it isnt... !

I think it's more just discussion on the facts that we have so far. I would hope that it's an original concept that doesn't involve any sort of film/ game tie-in. However, people are simply bringing lots of different points together. For instance, the concept art showing the trains does has a resemblance to the Starcraft image posted. Even if this has nothing to do with the game, it could be possible that the image itself was an inspiration to the designers when creating the style of the train.Also, there is a film coming out next year, by the same name of this ride, which shares similar things with the ride, such as a destruction of an air base (I'm paraphrasing, I'm afraid) and general urban devastation.It could very well not have anything to do with any intellectual properties, which I think would be better, however people are just summarizing their thoughts and are commenting on the news we have received today. ;)

I really really don't want another film tie-in ... or a game or for that matter.But I am very worried about the coincidence between the name and the re-make of the film, both 'due for release' in 2012.The one thing that slightly reassures me is that I highly doubt two film production companies would happily share space in the same theme park (without it being a whole park tie-in).

On a more serious note, the amount of fire advertised in concept images and the two videos we've received should seriously make Thorpe consider pyrotechnics. It'll be nice to have that level of rider-scenery interaction which has been missing from UK coasters in recent years. Too often we have disappointing/half-finished projects and lack of consistent themes. Let The Swarm change that Thorpe. ;)EDIT: Sorry Sheepie :rolleyes: I be good now.

Edited by Sidders

From the concept art... Does anybody think we may see some fire cannons/explosion/pyrotechnics or some sort like on X2 and also a water skim like on Manta maybe. The riders of the concept art both seem to be interacting with both fire and water... one guy coving his face from the blast of the jet engine and the other turning away from a load of water. I know Thorpe don't have the best track record for keeping their theming/effects constant but they have managed to do well with SAW, e.g rotating blades, effects inside. What do you think? :rolleyes:

Fire would be a good effect to have but even if it was added I couldn't see it being there for long. Before Tidal Wave's fire ball lines were cut, the effect completely stopped in 2004 due to the rising cost in fuel. Whilst they may not effect Swarm in its first year, it could easily come and bite it in the bum later on in the rides like. I would much rather the park added something that will have longevity then a pyrotechnic that will be turned off on the first days of 2013.

Water skimmers are as good as guaranteed surely; there's a considerable section of the ride that is built above the water (nearer the end of the ride). The photo below, a diagram of The Swarms' layout, shows that the helix (directly after the inclined loop) will not only be primed for some incredible G-Force and a decent speed boost, but as it's built over a lake in which the crashed helicopter will be situated in, water skimmers could easily be installed to create interaction for the riders during this part of the ride: Posted ImageAlso interesting to note the "Rickety Jetty" which will jut out into the small lake from underneath the entry to the inclined loop. Whilst it's doubtful that'll be open to the public, it's example of more attention to detail that'll bring the theme to greater life once completed, if completed according to plan.EDIT: Just noticed the "Tower" as well, which the train will fly through as it turns out from the corkscrew and into the inline twist. YAY THEMEING.