Walt Disney World Resort

Benin

That is the impression I got from POVs. I also thought the inside looked to clinical and lacking in charm compared to the old one, but I guess that is made up for by it being spectacular? It's hard to tell without riding in person but I think it's a shame the old one has gone.

also, the RF-ID card system doesn't work, because my car changed between the design area and actually getting on the ride, and then in the post show it decided I was Korean, which made following the instructions for everything very interesting. at least the signs telling me how to buy a Chevrolet were in English!

I would say that it looks like they spent a lot of money on certain sections, and not a lot on others. for example, the turns going up the hill still has the road-style barriers on either side, but it now has white lights on it. In many ways it is both better and worse than test track 1, but that was my opinion.

• 3 months later...

601650_473801789355639_1520326418_n.jpg

(Credit to Disney Parks Blog).

Being a massive Monsters Inc fan (who isn't :P ) I would have sure loved to have been at Epcot for this.

A video for anyone who's interested (explains why the Spaceship Earth building became a 180ft Mike Wazowski :P )

Nice to see the parks doing this 24 hours thing and Monsters Inc being a big part of their summer, also being referred to as the Monstrous Summer. I just love Monsters Inc and I'm sure this will be great for the parks.

• 1 month later...

What do people think about the Fastpass plus thing. I'm really in two minds about it, and I can't decide if it's a massive leap forward or simply another trend that will last a while then fade.

I think Disney deserve some credit for keeping their Fastpasses free (are they the only company in the world to do this now?), and this is quite a clever way of giving advantage to those who stay on Disney property (and, to be fair, why shouldn't they get an advantage?) without making it an all out upcharge. I also think it's much fairer allocating the same amount of fastpasses to everyone - the people whining and bitching the most are those who know how to get loads of fastpasses throughout the day, which is fine, but also means you're skipping lots of queues at the expense of other people. I think having a set number of fastpasses is a better idea, and once you've had your allocation you're stuck in the main queue with everyone.

Frankly, though, I wish they would do away with the system in general. I'm sure most people here realise that it's always been a bit of a con - the time you save in one queue is simply spread to another ride where you have to wait longer. I'm not totally against Fastpass plus if it also reduces the total number of fastpasses being given out, as ultimately shorter standby queues are better for everyone,even if they can't get on a couple of rides a day in 5 minutes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

First of all, IanNem, that was a great blog post to read!

I agree with your points in your post. I personally think that Disney should keep it the way it's been for years. Ok, so some have paid more to stay on site, but that was their choice, and they get a few more perks as it is. So, should they get first choice on Fastpass? I don't think they should.

I think that the current system is actually quite fair to be honest. It works on a sort of "First come, first serve basis". Everyone runs to the bigger attractions to try and get an early return time, but if you can't be bothered to run, you still get a pretty decent return time maybe an hour or so later.

For me, the current Fastpass system works perfectly, and shouldn't be tampered with, but who knows...it might work out!

• 1 month later...

Yeah I don't understand why they are having Avatar there I thought it was just for like cool animals and stuff not for a an overproduced , over hyped movie, that will be uncool soon and forgotten cos I have forgotten it lol.

I'm not sure if you're aware or not but it#s quite well publicised that the plan for Animal Kingdom was always to include fictional animals (hence the dragon on the logo).

Have to say, these plans look bloody impressive, and if they manage to recreate it as it looks it will be an amazing land (although I'm a bit confused as to how you can create massive floating rock islands in a theme park...!). The flying ride looks and sounds a bit uninspiring to be honest. The technology is already, by the sounds of it, done better at IoA, and the IP is nowhere NEAR interesting enough to disguise the fact that, from what I understand, this is the same tech as 'Soarin', a now rather dates ride system. Boat rides are always awesome, and if the theme is carried through the ride as well as that concept pic suggests then it will surely be one of the best in the world (though as it's current Disney I'm sure there'll be lots of visible ceilings and broken animatronics).

Also, these plans have made me much less worried about the Avatar IP. I feel sure that Disney realise that none of the characters from the film are what people remember about it, so I fully expect the focus to be on the environment rather than trying to make reference to the film. Compare this to many IPs where obviously there is a set of well-loved characters that are expected to make an appearance. Will Sam Worthington's character even feature? I wouldn't be surprised at all if the human characters are barely involved. I think the way the land is designed means it can be enjoyed as just a very beautiful and mythical natural environment, regardless of whether you've seen/like the film..But then I think most sensible fans knew that would be the case. The realities of the American parks now is that to get the kind of funding they're using, they have to have some brand recognition. It's a shame, but to me it doesn't look as though it will detract from the area itself.

Oh, and also, tl:dr, yeah yeah. Sounds like a very exciting time to WDW coming up - DHS sounds as though it's going to be getting a LOT of investment. What a shame that they let the four parks stagnate for so long - every single one of them needs some serious investment.

It might look nice, but it'll still be a crappy IP used that has no substance whatsoever...

But I think it's the visual element of the IP that they're interested in. Whatever the politics of acquiring this property is (and I feel sure that at some point someone must have realised they'd made a very expensive mistake but ploughed on regardless), it can't be denied that the environment of Avatar is pretty stunning. If that's all the land is then it will still be amazing. A boat ride through that environment would be amazing - a bit like Jurassic Park River Adventure but with mythical creatures instead of dinosaurs. The Soarin ride sounds naff, but will still probably be impressive, unless they decide that people are bothered about running into all the characters from the film (Sam Worthington...woo!).

It might look nice, but it'll still be a crappy IP used that has no substance whatsoever...

The Cars IP is hardly the best thing out there but California Adventure proved that a dodgy IP can be a successful land with a popular attraction. Now I'm not saying Avatar land will be amazing or even good but it is/was a successful film in the box office and Disney could pull it off. Besides, Avatar does fit in with the themes of Animal Kingdom, how looking after the land should come before deforestation and global wealth.

We lost Dragonland for this? I'm sure it will look great but I still don't know why this is a thing. I know nighttime safaris have been tested before and been a bit of a failure so that will be interesting.

No we lost Dragonland to budget cuts and then this is the alternative fifteen years later.

Personally I'm looking forward more to the night-time show around the Tree of Life more then Avatarland. Love me a bit of Disney night time show. :D

The Cars IP is hardly the best thing out there but California Adventure proved that a dodgy IP can be a successful land with a popular attraction. Now I'm not saying Avatar land will be amazing or even good but it is/was a successful film in the box office and Disney could pull it off. Besides, Avatar does fit in with the themes of Animal Kingdom, how looking after the land should come before deforestation and global wealth.

If they wanted to use a film that fitted the themes of the park in general, why not use Pocahuntas? Be a hell of a lot cheaper...

Then again, the only reason they went to Avatar was down to Universal getting Potterland... But as Avatar lacks the substance and character (Cars is a terrible Pixar film, but it still does have those qualities around it, making it better than most) beyond it's visuals, I am severely non-plussed about it...

Pocahontas wasn't a box office hit, Avatar was. Pocahontas doesn't have two sequels coming soon, Avatar does. Pocahontas was fifteen years ago and would have made sense when Animal Kingdom opened. Avatarland is much more current. Pocahontas has never really had the success that The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast or Snow White did.

I would have loved a Pocahontas land themed area, I imagine a Log Flume ride themed around "Just around the Riverbend" for example. But realistically Disney are just as much a profit making company as any other. Avatarland does have potential to be a great thematic experience but people are getting a bit bogged down on the film being a bit cack. So was Cars so film quality doesn't necessarily dictate area/ride quality.