Walt Disney World Resort

Benin

I might be one of those who spends much time talking to a camera, but I'm generally glad and not surprised Disney have decided to ban them completely from all their parks as I've only heard bad things about them.

Not to mention making watching shows such as dreams and other shows noticeably harder when a giant stick is in your face.

Never planned to get one, don't plan to get one and I'm sure the phase of selfie sticks will be dead very soon (I hope no one gets me one for my birthday).

So, my wife and I have decided to take our 3 children to Florida this summer.

We are all booked and paid for, and fly on 31 July, and are staying in a hotel on International Drive. Our plan is to spend some days doing the Disney World thing etc. Take in Universal Studios, SeaWorld, Wet n Wild etc..

My question is, does anyone know of anywhere that can do Disney passes cheaper than the ones I have seen online - maybe a discount code or something that can get me some money off when I purchase? Any help and advice greatly appreciated!

This maybe a bit late. But there seems to be a super deal on the Orlando ultimate pass where it costs about £450 for all theme parks including Disney I have never personally seen it this cheap

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

After 18 years of service & existence at WDW, it will be game over for Disney Quest which will be closing for good in 2016 to make way for an NBA experience restaurant as Downtown Disney continues it's transformation in to Disney Springs which should be complete 2016/2017.

Source-Themepark Tourist

disney-quest-entrance-sm.jpg

Whilst I never got to experience it (or WDW yet as a whole), Disney Quest is basically like a giant arcade,ish their park with lots of games and attractions with many themed or tied in to Disney rides and properties. The whole concept when it was created back in the 90's was to add more compact/localised Disney's to places that were noticeable distances around the world, but sadly never took off, one used to exist in Chicago but shut down years ago.

Whilst aged beyond repair, it'll be a shame to see this place shut down. It reminds me a little of Sega World a bit.

Just thought I'd share a little update of Pandora: The World of Avatar, which is being constructed at Animal Kingdom as we speak!
Photos from themeparkx.com

gbpetyl.jpg

cJrgaZT.jpg

It's odd seeing such a top heavy structure, but it should look like it's floating when finished! This also gives us an idea of how huge this new build is.

This project just screams urgh to me. Is there really enough demand for an Avatar area that's taking ages to actually create and is still over 2 years from completion. I mean they announced it in 2011 and only started construction last year. For a company with their own permitting council, they really do that their time with projects sometimes. The whole thing is costing around 500 million dollars and for what, a ride like Soarin', a boat ride through Pandora and some "floating" islands. So wish they'd gone for Beastly Kingdom, then the dragon on the logo would finally make sense! 

What with this, a relay of an old boat ride and slight extension of it to slap in Frozen, there really isn't that much exciting stuff happening in the parks. Fingers crossed for some good Hollywood Studios news (although it won't be complete till 2020 at this rate). Oh how could I forget the 3rd track for Mania and 3rd theatre for Soarin. Yay lots of great new stuff.

But there's Avatar sequels coming out at some point (which also, no-one else asked for)...

All style and no substance... Just like the films...

In regards to other additions, we did recently have a wave of them, new Fantasyland was Magic Kingdom's big thing, and I think the next focus will be Hollywood Studios...

You don't always need to add something new every year, although given Universal's sudden "we're going to invest ALL the Harry Potter money" move, Disney's additions aren't looking that great comparatively... But they won't start losing millions of guests as a result...

Really bizarre scepticism... 'Only two rides, only $500 million of investment jeez not good enough!'.

I doubt there was much demand for a Cars Land before it happened either and that's universally lauded as one of the best theme park areas in the world.

I personally despise Avatar but I think this new area will look spectacular, and I bet guests will love it as soon as they lay eyes on it. It can't be over 200 feet because of the whole red light thing, but I think that's more than high enough to make the flying islands look fab.

New Fantasyland looks great, and as Dan9 said above Cars Land seemed a bit of an odd choice too but it turned out very popular! 

Really bizarre scepticism... 'Only two rides, only $500 million of investment jeez not good enough!'.

I doubt there was much demand for a Cars Land before it happened either and that's universally lauded as one of the best theme park areas in the world.

There was demand in the younger demographics. The toys are extremely popular as well.

Avatar does neatly tie up the issue of guests leaving the park before closing.

I'm not the biggest fan of Avatar really, however this area is shaping up to look very impressive and I am holding off an Orlando trip until this area opens (based on my current financial status).

It does seem though a lot of their projects are taking a while to complete though as apparently the area's construction is behind schedule which may result in this area actually opening early 2018 (instead of the mid 2017 one).

Hollywood studios is a new kettle of fish altogether as the last couple of years we've seen a large handful of attractions close along with the park's former icon demolished, whilst most of these additions were t the best it's not really a good sign seeing so much disappear and nothing replacing it. The only added addition in the next couple of years will be the third midway track which will soothe the massive crowds the ride gets but won't help the park.

The reboot needs to happen soon, as with everything else happening at EPCOT & AK, I can't see the reboot starting until 2019 at the earliest and rumours I've heard so far are Star Wars Land, an Indians Jones attraction & varied Toy Story play land which for a 1 billion price tag seems excessive. D23 will hopefully shed some light on this however.

Whilst the park's developments seem to be lagging behind universal lately (one could argue are the park who are improving the most as a whole of the Florida parks) WDW is still a racing horse in the park game as at the end of the day the park's are getting a lot of investment in and all park's last year saw growth (even Hollywood studios) and judging by that continues the Magic a Kingdom park us very likely to exceed 20M.

Least WDW is progressing more than the later Eisner years and more important, Sea World who have dived under faster than Oblivion.

Whilst the park's developments seem to be lagging behind universal lately (one could argue are the park who are improving the most as a whole of the Florida parks) WDW is still a racing horse in the park game as at the end of the day the park's are getting a lot of investment in and all park's last year saw growth (even Hollywood studios) and judging by that continues the Magic a Kingdom park us very likely to exceed 20M.

It's only half the story. When people go to Florida, people tend to do everything. Very few just go and do Universal or just do Disney, hence why Disney will still growth in spite of what looks like smaller additions. 

I agree with others that Epcot and Hollywood Studios need something, Animal Kingdom ironically enough is my favourite of the four and a lot of the stuff there is in preparation for Pandora and the new night time show. New dining places, new toilet facilities, relocating Festival of the Lion King. 

And Magic Kingdom wasn't expecting that kind of growth. Although Seven Drawfs Mine train was never conceived as the next big thing, the guests are seeing it as a major addition. I think come Frozens opening at Epcot, a lot of that will change.

Avatar is more dead than angry birds as an ip. No one cares.

However good it looks in the end I still find it a bizarre choice.

Potterland is the only reason this was ever considered...

Disney, strangely panicked and decided an external property would suit Animal Kingdom, a park which thrives on realistic theming and environments, so obviously Avatar was the only sane choice...

Beastly Kingdom was never gonna happen, but they could've gone for any random continent in the world instead... An Artic themed area done by Disney could've been really fab as an example... South America is also under-represented in the theme park world...

I don't think dead is necessarily the right word, but I totally agree with pluk.

Angry Birds is a more current, and currently more popular and talked-about, IP than Avatar.  Which of the two IPs has a new game at the top of Google Play store, has dominated downloads for their specific industry for the past few years, and has a film coming out next year?  Certainly not Avatar. ;)

You can't be serious  :rolleyes: It's like the 2nd top grossing movie of all time? 

and anyway, aren't they still developing a 2nd movie?

Absolutely serious.

It was a big film 6 years ago, mostly because it looked pretty. Who has watched it since? Who has ever thought, 'you know what, get the popcorn out, lets put Avatar on tonight'? No one. Because under all the 3D shiny shiny that already looks quite dated it was a god awful film devoid of any originality, had a plot written by a 5 year old, and no character development or reason to care. Without using IMDB, tell me what were any of the characters names and if you are supposed to be pleased or upset if they're crushed under a tonne of unobtainium? Who going to be flying halfway around the world to have their photo taken with 'unusual blue thing 1' and 'unusual blue thing 2'? 

As an attraction I'm sure it will look fantastic, but I'm also sure it will have no soul. Much like the film. Also like the film I doubt people will care a very short time after opening, and Disney will be wondering why on earth they saddled half a billion dollars worth of impressiveness with the dead weight of this IP hanging from it.

Same story as Pocahontas tbh...

I'd probably rather watch Suckerpunch again than Avatar... At least Suckerpunch tried to do something (even if it was dreadful, and I don't actually know what it was)...

Would be better if they were making Pocahonras land tbh. That 20 year old film has more relevance today and than Avatar.

If we're having a crap film off I'd rather watch Donkypunch again.

So Disney announced lots of stuff yesterday, particularly with Hollywood Studios in mind 
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/2015/08/live-updates-from-walt-disney-parks-and-resorts-presentation-at-2015-d23-expo/

In a nutshell we have:-

Toy Story Playland which will feature a Slinky Dog rollercoaster and an Alien UFO ride and a third track added to Toy Story Mania

Star Wars 'land' which will feature a Millennium Falcon attraction

Upgrade to Star Tours at Hollywood Studios and Disneyland, a new scene featuring parts from Star Wars 7

Animal Kingdom

Pandora - the world of Avatar will be the official name for the area

Avatar Flight of Passage is our Soaring type E ticket for the area.You fly on a banshee over an alien world.

Rivers of Light is the name for the new night time show at Animal Kingdom

Kilimanjaro Safari wil start sunset rides with the addition of Hyenas and African wild dogs.

Soarin' will be updated to a new film, 'Soarin around the world'

Yay, investment.

Really excited for both these new areas especially being a big fan of both properties.

Star Wars Land sounds absolutely stunning, especially with the Mos Eisley Cantina & Millenium Falcon ride and from eBay I've seen from concept art this area will look spectacular :wub:.

Toy Story Land sounds very good too, really liking the sound of the Slinky coaster plus the Alien attraction sounds interesting too. Ten times better than the originally rumoured DLP & HKD clone areas even if they used the same technology for that ride replacing Luigi's tires at DCA.

Whilst Avatar excites me too, these two projects above are on a different level and we could finally be seeing Disney catch up with Universal's monster expansions.

Let's just hope these all don't take too long to build and get developed (especially since Avatar will open 7 years after announcement) as these will be killer additions to HS. With everything else going on, it'll be Epcot next that needs some TLC.