Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

texas giant and iron rattler are refurbishments with new track to allow for overbanked turns to be added etc. by RMC... but I love the look of Outlaw Run and apparently it's smooth, a wooden coaster is something thorpe is crying out for (as well as an airtime machine but let's be honest they may not have the footprint to allow for such high rides, and I'm not too fussed about them, but if it included a cheeky inversion on the other hand), and something like outlaw run is perfect, as you summed it up perfectly as well 'I really don't want that gimmick on a woodie' but it's something that will probably appeal to people and the general public - I'm sold already haha!

Put it this way thorpe will go for something completely different to what they currently offer so any big steel multi looper is off the cards, they don't have any true airtime machines so that is the most likely route they will go down. I would prefer a woodie but it would most likely be a metal hyper or some sorts like from Intamin or B&M or Mack, if it was a woodie though I don't want loops full stop. Woodies are meant to be fun airtime machines with fun, twisty, bouncy layouts not a Colossus but wood, I would like a increadibly steep woodie like Altitude said above or like "world's first vertical drop woodie" but again unlikely. But as it is not until atleast 2017 we will be getting this ride then anything apart from a multi-looper is on the cards. I just suppose we will have to wait and see. I'm discounting a woodie now so in future if they do get one I'm pleasantly surprised :):D

Remember that if we do have another 3 or so years, we could have new coaster types on our doorstep!

Woodies are meant to be fun airtime machines with fun, twisty, bouncy layouts

Although I somewhat agree, I think we have to put up with the fact that technology is changing, and if looping woodies are what come from it, I guess that's the way it goes :)

I went on Wodan yesterday before the park closed, It was incredibly fast and it had loads of airtime and it was VERY VERY TWISTY. Perfect in my eyes with out loops or stuff but Altitude is right technology moves on and I'd probably enjoy a looping woodie unless it had otsr's.

I'm gonna be bold in saying this, but maybe a looping 'woodie' is just what the UK needs.

It's been said time and time again that woodies are viewed as unsafe and whatnot. Maybe by creating a hybrid coaster, where the supports are quite clear steel and the track quite clearly wood, and marketing it as 'Europe's first inverting wooden coaster' or whatever, the park will see that woodies can do whatever steel coasters can do, and are thus as safe as them. It just needs clever marketing.

Then, with that one coaster, the public may well lose this 'wood is unsafe' stigma, and the UK can freely build woodies again without the fear that the public will be afraid to ride them...

Then again, I'd remain sceptical as to seeing a looping woodie at Thorpe.

We seriously need a new wooden coaster in the UK. If only someone from Merlin would visit the USA and/or see the plans for new wood over there - it`s having a big surge in popularity. They have some wonderful wooden coasters over there. People who think they aren`t safe need to visit Blackpool and ride theirs. Old and always thrilling.

By the way - Texas Giant is brilliant! Loved every bit of it. Yes, it`s a hybrid now but smooth as silk.

Merlin need to stop thinking about 'record breaking' and think instead about what people would enjoy and that can be easily answered - a decent wooden coaster. In fact, something along the lines of Phoenix at Knoebels would suit me fine. Loads of airtime and very re-ridable!

I still can't make my mind up with these hybrids (quite sensibly really, as I haven't ridden one!), there's something about them that just doesn't seem right, like it is cheating itself pretending to be something it is not. You say it is that smooth, does it still feel like a woody though? Surely they shouldn't be that smooth.

I think we could do with a couple of modern full on woodies over here first while we see how the hybrids age.

I also think the hybrids looking frankly, disgusting, the only one I'm impressed with so far is Outlaw Run. I'd rather a traditional woodie, I'd be happy with a Wodan clone :D

I think the RMCs at the Six Flags parks are gross to look at, but Outlaw Run just looks beautiful.

It might be because the red rails make the coasters look ugly.

If it wasn't for the Big Dipper incident at Battersea, I imagine there would actually still be a few few woodies left in the UK today; classics of course.

Personally if Merlin were to invest in a new woodie (which of course they should), I would certainly recommend sticking to the modern but traditional GCI style as apposed to those new RMC hybrids.

Here's hoping!