Next Big Thing - 2016 Development ?

pluk

I would personally love to see a massive airtime coaster at Thorpe but how will they market it? I can't imagine the public getting excited over airtime...

A coaster doesn't have to have just airtime - it could have other features as well. Just not a destruction / rust is theming theme this time...

• 4 weeks later...

Well TP's last 3 major coasters have all gone up within three years of each other. And the MTDP did say that we can expect the next one in 2015. If 2015 is the target for Thorpes next thrill machine, then we could see some plans produced towards the end of the summer/autumn. Now that The Smiler has finished construction, I am looking forward to starting fresh here with some new speculation and construction!

Well TP's last 3 major coasters have all gone up within three years of each other. And the MTDP did say that we can expect the next one in 2015. If 2015 is the target for Thorpes next thrill machine, then we could see some plans produced towards the end of the summer/autumn. Now that The Smiler has finished construction, I am looking forward to starting fresh here with some new speculation and construction!

I thought there was something found somewhere that said the park were going to delay the roller coaster till 2016? Might just be my memory playing tricks on me but I thought I read that somewhere...

http://forum.maniahub.com/topic/9917-next-big-thing-20152016-coaster/page-4#entry147676

That post has everything that I think we 'know' about the next coaster and its opening date.

This season has seen a lot of focus on the entertainment side of the park, so I wouldn't be surprised if the next coaster opens in 2016 to focus on the entertainment and accomodation strategy. However, from planning documents, it remains unclear as to when the next coaster is planned for.

They kind of played with that idea at Alton Towers with Air and Nemesis, although the tie in was never really exploited or explained! I think in this case, I would prefer to see a completely separate ride and theme, on an island of its own.

However, if they could fit a flat ride or another compact thrill ride on The Swarm island, I would definitely be up for that!

• 2 weeks later...

I think in 2014 there could be some flat ride on the swarms island, possibly around the theme of a fireball, then in 2015 a really tall and fast flying coaster on the other island themed around a bird. It could drop down to the water and have some water jets like on Manta. I'm tired of scary themes and black track like the swarm, saw, and the smiler. I much prefer Colossus's theme, even though it's quite vague at some times at least its happy...

• 3 weeks later...

for a woodie to be good and have a marketing appeal, it needs to be a RMC wooden/steel hybrid with an inversion or 2! would love to see one go around by loggers leap, adding to the canadian theme!

No, it doesn't NEED to be a RMC hybrid to be defined as 'good'... That's just an unfair statement to make considering there is a reasonable amount of perfectly good (and great, and amazing) actual wooden coasters out there that have been around for years without being a hybrid or having inversions...

No, it doesn't NEED to be a RMC hybrid to be defined as 'good'... That's just an unfair statement to make considering there is a reasonable amount of perfectly good (and great, and amazing) actual wooden coasters out there that have been around for years without being a hybrid or having inversions...

Almost every GCI for example.