Dollywood

EC!

2014_zpsccbc8d4e.jpg

This photo has caught alot of attention by the international coaster community.

Dollywood representatives have been spotted in Europa Park owned by Mack, riding all the rides, there is strong suggestions that they will be building a Mack launch coaster, backed up with the blast slogan above and the fact they don't have a launch coaster whereas their rival park Silver Dollar City do in the form of Powder Keg. Although that some think it will be another woodie. This information was initially found on coasterforce who inturn, found the Europa information on Screamscape. Even if it isn't a launch coaster something big is coming. Lets Discuss! (would love to this park it looks awesome)

• 2 months later...

It reaches a top speed of 30 odd mph...

Yep, 30...

So it's not going to be an amazing huge world beating coaster, but with Dollywood's pechant for quality theming and interesting layouts, this is going to be a fab little coaster for the families...

A shame the adventure course thing got spited though...

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

and that's how you make a backwards launch exciting. Someone tell th13teens crypt.

That looks like a fantastic family ride, just superb.

That is the sort of quality family ride a park in the UK should have. Good on you Gerst and Dollywood!

The first half (well, first minute of that video) of the ride seems a tad unexciting to me; second half seems to be when the ride picks up. Hard to tell from a POV of course, but I the first half just looks a bit blasé.

Looks like a good, fun family ride all in all though.

• 1 year later...

So Dollywood announced today they will be opening another major coaster which will open in 2016. Titled Lightning Rod, this will be the first & fastest launched Wooden coaster in the world and will be built by RMC.

Dollywood is slowly becoming the park I most want to visit in the U.S outside of Florida & Cali (probably joint third with Kings Island after Cedar Point & BG Williamsburg (though my time in the states likely won't occur for a while)).

Probably the first RMC I like the look of, possibly because it's not doing any stupid inversions and stuff...

The quadruple down looks amazing, and it has the terrain factor to consider too...

Can't always be groundbreaking or unique, aside from the launch of course, it's not unique... Shame it'll take the shine away from any parks planning a similar addition in the near future...

I think it looks a lot better then some of the older ones, maybe not as good as Wicked Cyclone or Outlaw Run, but it looks a hell of a lot better then Iron Rattler, Goliath, Storm Chaser even Twisted Colossus. I think to not do inversions and focus on airtime is the right way to go as it will be nice to see a proper airtime RMC. I know its all about opinions but I don't think this is average, I think this looks better then most of the other RMC's and certainly better then most woodies out there. But as I always say I'm reserving actual judgement of whether the ride is actually good or not till I actually ride it :P

^ Outlaw Run does those elements, nothing new or unique. No need to be patronising we all know you like doing it.

Ride Elements:

- Zero to 45 MPH Launch = 1500 HP

- Trick Hill (Twin Summits)

- 90 + Degree Bank Breaking Wave Turn

- 90 + Degree Outside Banked Top Hat

- Twist and Shout

- Step Up

- Quadruple Down

- High Speed Airtime Hill

- Non-Inverting Half Loop

- 12 Total Airtime Moments

It's not the same.

With regards to the speed - the launch hits a top speed of 45mph, but the actual coaster reaches a top speed of 73mph, making it the first launched wooden roller coaster and the fastest wooden coaster outright.

It looks like an interesting idea; will be interesting to see how it rides and whether this will take off and see further developments of wooden coasters, or whether this will just be a gimmick that only gets rolled out onto a couple of coasters.  The ride itself looks fun either way though!

Ride Elements:

- Zero to 45 MPH Launch = 1500 HP

- Trick Hill (Twin Summits)

- 90 + Degree Bank Breaking Wave Turn

- 90 + Degree Outside Banked Top Hat

- Twist and Shout

- Step Up

- Quadruple Down

- High Speed Airtime Hill

- Non-Inverting Half Loop

- 12 Total Airtime Moments

It's not the same.

You posted a photo of a wave turn. Outlaw Run does two. My opinion stands.