Use of the water?

planenut

I think the land reclamation as outlined in the MTDP is pretty much complete, I'm not sure what in the way of planning or permissions they need to to continue and take more land back.

An over water coaster could be pretty spectacular and considering what they are working with land wise it's surprising it isn't something they've already done, maybe the base isn't suitable for development? I'd imagine draining it would be next to impossible so would be a tricky build!

As it is not circulated or clean water I doubt the it could be used to interact with riders at all, so that rules out most water rides with any point to them on the lakes. I wonder if they'll go back to the water taxi type boats when the proper hotel opens? Not sure it would really be necessary.

I think it was mentioned in the MTDP that only a certain number of supports (6 or 9? Some number under 10 at least), would be in the water for the 2012 and 2015/6 coaster combined. I guess that's for a variety of reasons, such as cost, logistics and environmental. As no supports are in the water for Swarm (pretty sure at least), I guess it's possible an element of the next coaster could be over water?

As pluk said, all the infilling the park currently have planned is complete (unless there's a bit more to be done on the island next to Swarm), and unless the more are mentioned in the next MTDP (in 2016), we probably won't see any more. To be honest, I think Thorpe are reaching their limit on infilling land, especially as they are edging closer to Thorpe town, and 'noise pollution' could become a problem. I remember reading an article in a local paper around the time of Swarm's application being accepted as well that some councillors are feeling that the park are reaching their limit, and that a balance between them and the local community has to be taken into account.

For such a small park, Thorpe have a surprising amount of potential sites for future major developments without the need to build new islands. A quick scan of the map shows that there is potential space in Canada Creek as well as the as yet unfilled island. There's also Rumba Rapids area and a the arena/X/Storm Surge/Ranger County area that could certainly be put to better use (especially as half of that valuable land is either unused or SBNO). There's also a case to be made for Neptune's Kingdom being a potential space for better development. Now considering that people are only able to come up with 2 or 3 sites for future coasters at Alton Towers, a park which dwarfs TP in size, I'd say it's encouraging to see that TP still has potential to expand. This is also without taking into account the fact that in 2 or 3 major projects time, Thorpe will surely come to the point that other parks have where they will have to start removing things. Does anyone really see Colossus operating another 12 years time? I'm not sure.

This will probably sound rather stupid but... I didn't think concrete could set under water?

They would pre-make and pre-set the concrete in a factory and lower it in - much like they did with The Smiler's footers (albeit NOT under water). I believe they did that with Kumali too?