Nigloland

JoshC.

Nigloland is a theme park in north-eastern France. From the looks of it, there's nothing particularly 'special' about the place; just your standard, fun theme park.

However, next year sees the addition of a Mack Megacoster - Alpina Blitz. I expect most people are aware how awesome Mack's Megacoasters look, and this one is no different:

1489137_10152166891134497_2138321913_n.j

1483000_10152166891279497_2083410385_n.j

1504079_561297420628452_1288927589_n.png

1525695_645491575513039_1856250851_n.jpg

994407_645491595513037_407041982_n.jpg

(All images from Nigloland)

Looks like another fun coaster from Mack! :D

Could easily make this a Mack coaster topic, what with so many of the Megacoaster type being built for next year. I for one am relieved so many are finally coming to fruition, despite Blue Fire being a top drawer, amazing ride, it seemed to take a while for the ride type to take off.

Well its great to see more of them, maybe as they are becoming more and more popular in europe and with one in the USA I really hope to see one in blighty sometime soon. I have heard this is just like Storm at Etnaland but with out the inline twist at the end and a tighter lower to the ground first turn. Seems very exciting!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Went to Nigloland this weekend and had a really fantastic time. I'll spare you all a full trip report, but there are two stand-out rides that are worthy of mention:

Alpina Blitz

I rode Piraten at Djurs last year and absolutely loved it, and rode Blue Fire at Europa in 2012 and absolutely loved it, so Alpina Blitz was pretty much the reason I made the 2.5 hour drive south east from Paris to Dolancourt. It's a beauty of a ride, both to look at and to experience - super smooth with bags of airtime, and really warms up throughout the day. Back row in the last hour of Park operations on Alpina Blitz delivers simply fantastic bum-off-seat ejector air.

Which is better? For me Piraten is the more intense ride, although this is in no small part due to the less comfortable restraints pinning you in during the screaming airtime hills - but Alpina Blitz delivers just as much air and is definitely more re-ridable. Extra points also go to Alpina Blitz for its innovative ride merchandise: I picked up 2 Nigloland Stein beer glasses on my way out, both etched with the Alpina logo. Needless to say, I'm mighty looking forward to riding Helix soon...

Air Meeting

I first came to know of this ride type thanks to Benin's blog post, and was intrigued as to how it would ride. It's a Gerstlauer Sky Fly, and consists of individual seats mounted to a central claw, with the ability to rotate on their own axis. As the claw swings around, riders are encouraged to spin themselves through 360 degrees by maneouvering the 2 "wings" attached to the left and right of the seats. Holding the left wing down / right wing up will rock you in one direction, holding left wing up / right wing down will rock you in the other. Get enough momentum up and you can make it over the top and complete a 360. Keep your wings "fixed" in the wing position (up / down) that pushes you over the top, and you'll continue to rotate in that direction like a madman. Of the 12 guests per ride, usually 2-3 will grasp the concept and make it over the top.

Simply put, if you get the "knack" of it, Air Meeting is an absolute hoot. After a bit of practice, I got myself into such a spin on my first go that I screamed with laughter like a little girl for a good 2 minutes of ride time, to the great amusement of onlookers. My second go was too intense for even screaming - I rocked left, right, left and then BAM over the top, where I continued to spin at such a high speed that it gave me a subconjunctival haemorrhage. I don't think I've had a more intense experience on any flat ride before - and it was all my doing. Amazing!

In all, Nigloland is a lovely little Park; very pleasant and natural, with a good array of smaller rides (wild mouse, mine train, log flume, <insert Mack ride here>, etc). I hope they get the increase in visitor numbers they hope for and continue to expand. Well worth going out of your way to visit!