Feedback of the Site

Cringle

Hey guys,Just to let you all know we plan to take down the Park Guide sometime soon for abit of work, following in the footsteps of the park we will stop categorising the rides by Area and will do so by the rides thrill rating. There are a number of reasons behind this, as the park installs new rides its harder and harder to fit them in with the existing structure of the guide. CheersMarc

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Didn't know where to post this really, but anyways...

With articles on the site / posts by Hob Bot, how hard is it to check over spelling and grammar? Without being rude, there's pretty much mistakes in every single one, from just simple spelling errors to annoying things like the using 'your' 'you're' incorrectly. Sometimes, half of it just won't even make sense. I understand no one is perfect and everyone makes mistakes, but it just feels like they're posted without being reread or checked over at all, and that doesn't really reflect on the site well.

It does! A big thanks you to our member chriss, who has helped redesign the look and feel of the forums with a spanking new skin. :D The orange is BACK, people!

Still a few tweaks and minor adjustments to be made, so hold tight while we refine the look, which I think you'll all agree is much more succinct with the TPM site than the old skin. :)

Thanks for the feedback, glad so far its positive :)

We will be changing a few things with the sites.

Due to Alton Towers Mania / Chessington Mania not happening for the foreseeable future, these will redirect to the Forums, along with Maniahub.com. We also hope to look into launching a mobile version of TPM soon.

Cheers

Marc

• 1 month later...

Agree with Fred here - all for supporting the park, but it can become a bit overboard; literally feels like an advert for the park, not a TPM page.. Aren't most people who like TPM over Facebook going to like the Official Thorpe page anyway, and hence won't need to see such adverts anyway?

And also, on the topic of the Facebook page - apostrophes! I know I've moaned about things like this before and some people are probably tired of me banging on about it - but how hard is it to have "Your Guide to The Nation's Thrill Capital" rather than "Your Guide to The Nations Thrill Capital", and "Thorpe Park Mania, the Official Fan-site of Thorpe Park's very own Facebook page!" rather than "Thorpe Park Mania, the Official Fan-site of Thorpe Parks very own facebook page!"? Maybe it's just me being overly pedantic, but I think just having the grammar correct - especially on the cover photo / about section - looks much more professional, even if it is just little things such as an apostrophe or two...

Not at all.

However, simply put, who likes being bombarded with ads? Pretty much no one. I just don't think it's necessary for the TPM page to have what are pretty much adverts for the park, when they're more than likely going to be posted on Thorpe's Facebook page anyway. A quick look through the past couple of months, and it mentions about the £20 offer, the 2 free tickets in The Sun, buying Ride and Rave tickets, buying tickets for the Ministry of Sound club nights, the Frijj promotion..and that's in the past month. Pretty sure all of them have been mentioned on Thorpe's Facebook page, so it basically feels like a regurgitation of that. When you include how the cover photos regularly state about an event at the park and say to see the park's website for more details - which, by itself, I don't really have an issue with by the way, but grouped with the above, can become a bit much.

I'm more than happy to see posts about if something major has happened (when Stealth reopened, and the most recent Trax event was cancelled, for example), pictures (even if they've been posted by the main page, as no doubt there's more, which I've seen a fair bit of) and just posts which keep the page active (EG: "Today marks just 100 days of the 2012 season remaining! How many more visits do you plan to make?")

However, simply put, I just don't feel it's necessary for TPM page to be regularly advertising the park, the park's page does that more than well enough. Personally, I'd feel the main purpose would be to extend on the page, perhaps focus a bit more on the smaller things the park does and work as a way of bridging people from 'fans' to 'enthusiasts', if that makes sense. I don't even mind the occasional advert for the park, especially if there's a good deal going, as of course, not everyone who likes the TPM page is going to be a hardcore enthusiast, but I just think a balance needs to reached.

Just my two cents there really..

Okay but the whole point of the facebook group is to bring you regular news, generic updates, offers pictures and other things. It does say and I quote:

Description

We're Thorpe Park Mania - The official fansite to the world of Thorpe Park! With all the very latest news, offers, pictures and exclusive content we are the number one source to all Thorpe Park news!

You liked the facebook page automatically signing yourself up for regularly updates of the park. What kind of offical fan site would not try advertise the park?

Fair enough, and I'm not disagreeing with any of that when it boils down to it.

My problem is more the amount of adverts, as opposed to them being there. The occasional special offer which is really good value, a build up to big events - fine. Posting about practically every offer, promotion and buying tickets to events - a bit much in my eyes.

No problem with advertising the park, just think there should be a balance to it, and personally, I think there's just a bit too much weighting on advertising the park.

Of course, this all comes down to difference of opinion. As said, I'd think the main purpose of the page could be a way of creating a bridge from becoming just a fan of the park on Facebook to a regular member of the site, which would mean irregular focus on advertising the park, and more focusing on updates, exclusives and linking to the forum. Perhaps this is not what you guys are focusing on as much - which is fine - and where the disagreement of 'how much' is coming from.

:)

No. Fansites are not there to advertise the events. You're acting like bloody PBE instead of something like you should do, towers street facebook is a good example.

What REALLY annoyed me most though, was that bloody awful picture posted yesterday. What a lovely skyline, with Depth Charge blocking all of it. I'm sorry, that was an utterly crap photo - you may as well have posted a pic of X queueline for all I care.

Shoddily run - you're run for enthusiasts, act like a bloody enthusiast page, not an advertisement for thorpe/12yr old writing because they're bored.