Customer Services

Tom

Question

Id just like to point out how many complaints there are on thorpe parks facebook etc.

Thorpe park's staff are only letting fastracks through onto the rides and this is because there are full fastrack queue lines they are trying to get rid of(as experienced on Thursday). This is resulting into people having to wait up to an hour extra than the specified queuetime due to ridiculous ratios.

I hope thorpe stop overselling fastrack and the staff actually move the normal queues up as I will certainly not appreciate waiting longer than specified due to poor staff and oversold fastrack.

On a side note apparently reserve n ride is now £15(overall or per ride, not sure) to use and is having a huge affect on main queues. Apparently main queuers are not moving up due to staff being told to move reserve n ride through first.

The systems need to be sorted out as waiting 2 hours instead of 1 hour will not be appreciated when I go on Thursday.

It's at a point now where Thorpe aren't overselling fastrack, they give so many of the bloody things out for free that no matter what the queue to fastrack ratio is, it's always going to be wrong. 

And now £15 for ride and reserve? Is that confirmed? If so, ridiculous that they are running both systems at the same time.

It's not confirmed, just what I saw on facebook. But knowing thorpe they will be doing both systems at the same time and the amount of fastracks going through is ridiculous without the reserve n ride. I would hate to even imagine what it's like to be in the main queue during this trial.

Luckily Thursday isn't reserve n ride, but there will still be the problem of fastrack. If it is as bad as people state on facebook, I will be complaining face to face with customer services as it is getting out of hand.

Quote from facebook:

Tash Rimer

Today at 06:30

"I am absolutely disgusted Thorpe Park! Firstly after being a frequent customer with our family of 5 - we have come today, spent a future to be lied too about queue times. Currently been 90 mins in nemesis where you say 50 min and haven't moved at all for half an hour due to your reserve and ride! Needless to say after spending a fortune to get to you and then entrance fees - you expect people to pay an additional £15 per ride to reserve a space. You don't even move the normal queue along! Seeing as we have all paid good money to be here! You ought to be ashamed. After 15 frequent visits per year - we will not be coming again! An official complaint will also be sent in."

Reserve'n'Ride is still free, you can just also buy Fastrack through it. That complaint about Nemesis (and other coaster queues today) isn't down to Fastrack, it's down to R'n'R which is getting the majority of the allocation obviously as they want to push it. If people hadn't complained so much when you couldn't use the main queue normally during R'n'R trials then none of these issues would be occurring. Thorpe need to just enforce R'n'R on days it's being trialled as with main queue, R'n'R. fastrack and priority pass it is a mess! But it's only that way because of the amount of people who complained last time. The majority of people using R'n'R love it, and those who don't use it because they are soooo against the idea of change hate it and the fact that their queue hardly moves. Thorpe offer a free system for you to queue for the big coasters without being in a queue and people refuse to use it? Strange. Try it, R'n'R works and hopefully one day on this 5 day trial they enforce it so it's either Fastrack or R'n'R, no main queue because then everyone will see that it can work!

They have increased the fastrack ratio. if you count the number of fastrack to main queue its about 8-10 fastracks for every 20 people from the main queue. Instead of what used to be around 5-7. However saying that there was a point of Thursday where the main queue didn't move because only fastrack were being let on. by the sounds of things that is what has been happening today but with RnR, If there is set ratios then the people controlling the queues should be told them so they can let the correct amount of people through just like cedar point and six flags. However I wouldn't be surprised if this system of RnR is using a throughput number that many of the rides can not achieve hence the problems. They are not going to succeed in this RnR system, there is too many things that can change which effects it and the fact the people reserving to ride can go anywhere, for example into another queue. I guess there is one good thing, they can now start selling fastracks for guest services.

^Fastrack ratios will likely be different for different rides, depending on the capacity of the ride.

The way I've understood how Fastrack used to work (on a normal day) is that anyone waiting in the Fastrack queue waits - at a maximum - a third of main queue time IF there was no Fastrack guests.  So, if there was an hour long queue without Fastrack, then Fastrack guests would wait at most 20 minutes.  Of course, this means the main queue is longer, since you need to add in the Fastrack users.  It's a weird system, and could well be different now.  If they're implementing a similar system when RnR is going on, then that's just going to cause so many complications and goodness knows how it would work.

For Reserve and Ride to truly succeed, they need to dive in and get rid of the standby queue, and force people to use it (for free of course) or buy Fastrack.  Having three different methods of queueing is complicated, confusing and just cannot physically work.  I hope that this trial works a treat, showing that the actual computer system works, meaning that they can at least give this another try.

RnR is operating on the basis of it being the queue... but for thorpe not to obviously adjust the main queue waiting times and not piss those guests off is just silly. a 40min queue on a normal day will not be a 40min queue when RnR is operating.

As for people saying it's cos they hate change - people are allowed to visit a theme park and ride at their leisure y'know. Not everyone wants to be dictated or have to use a mobile/queueing device to enjoy their day. Some prefer to have the information provided (a 40min queue should you ride this) then decide for themselves if they want to join it or not.

Unfortunately Thorpe have very little choice in having the 3rd standby queue. If you remove that then you have 5000+ people with nowhere to go. flat rides will get flooded with people and the paths will become really crowded. No one will want to wait 2 hours for a flat ride so you end up with a lot of guests which are either left with nothing to do or very angry in a queue they don't want to be in. You can not have 15000 people in a park and expect the coasters to have no queues, it really is insanity.

The ratios for fastrack are pretty much the same for each ride its just the number of people that are in that ratio is less. 

Your comparison to Six Flags and Cedar Fair doesn't hold as much weight because those passes are extremely limited and are priced appropriately. Otherwise, everything you say is spot on unfortunately. I applaud Thorpe for trying something different but a queue less theme park doesn't exist in the peak of summer.

I more made the comparison of exact counting not the numbers of which they sell. Cedar point was literally counting 5 of fastlane then 20 of the main queue. That worked quite well as it didnt seem random and didnt have massive increases of fastlane all of a sudden. I also applaud Thorpe in trying however I seriously doubt it will work.

Still no one has been able to answer where do the people go. The 5000 people wont just disappear, they are at a theme park to ride rides. Queues get moved to lower throughput rides which makes the whole situation so much worse. So when the flats get introduced to the system and you have 15,000 people with no rides at all to queue for what happens then? I asked Thorpe park and they couldn't give me an answer (it was guest services so they may not know but the point still stands).

Six Flags at least do not offer single 'shots' or packages of Fast Track. It's either the whole day or bust. When I have used the system, I have not had to wait at the merge point / fire escape for any ride. The demand just isn't there. In its current state, I do not think Thorpe has a high enough reliability to offer RnR as a main queue replacement. A Fast Track replacement sure but I don't see the point apart from reduced staff costs.

Similarly in Germany, very few people use the Fastrack option if available (Heide, Lego with Qbot, Movie Park with unlimited for €25 and Phannylands strange 4 tickets for €15)...

Probably a culture thing more than anything, as well as the lack of one shots and other bits...

The other option is push throughputs to the highest standard of course, which would negate any queues... But even places like Europa can't remove queues completely, so why Thorpe thought they could in the first place was beyond me...

It was the same in Portaventura in Spain, we em had express for 4 days for €50 and everyone with express was like us, staying in the hotel. Even though there were 2 hour queues for baco and shambhala etc. most of the Spanish were willing to wait it out. There was also an option to have 10 rides for €20 which I thought was ridiculously cheap so was suprised no one was buying it.

However, the park was open till midnight and then 4am on one night so that could well explain why...

I would love thorpe to try no fastrack whatsoever for a month or so. I know this will never happen as fastrack users will get really angry however it would be lovely to see how much quicker the main queue moved up because I bet it is at least twice as fast for most rides. Would be nice to see but it will never happen, however I don't think reserve n ride can work on top of fastrack, the ratios then become even more ridiculous for main queues meaning they are practically stationary.

On Project LC point, I have to agree, the 5000-10000 people who are all virtually queueing on the coasters will having nothing to do but infect the other flat rides meaning that the flat ride queues will massively increase. Some of the queues were full on Wednesday for the flat rides so I seriously doubt they cannot handle more people if the system was introduced. Anyway, we will see over these few trial days how all the public fair with the system, I just cannot see both fastrack and RNR working at the same time.