Re-Rides

OldFarmerDean

Part of the issue here is the inconsistency. At Chessington it used to be allowed (within reason), at Thorpe you can re-ride pretty much as often as you like, at Towers it's completely banned (except on the Rapids when there's nobody waiting or last ride of the day on Thirteen and they need more people).

Normally I'm not too bothered by a no re-ride policy, unless it means they're sending trains half empty and/or it's a long walk from the exit back to the station.. At Towers on the last day of the season a few years ago the final train on Nemesis was sent with 4 people on it due to the no re-ride rule, which seemed rather a waste of 28 seats.

I think it should be a blanket policy to avoid confusion/arguements/all of the above.

Doesn't bother me having to walk all the way round again to ride, as I'm not bothered if I ride something once or ten times, I've been on before anyway :P

I can't say I'm fussed about ride counts, I find that an increased ride count has a detrimental effect on my wine count, which could result in me having to E-Stop in the toilets.

Here's the issue...

When you enter the park's property, YOU become THEIR responsibility... YOU are now a paying guest and the park is liable for your safety... Why else is it that when things go wrong, the park are the ones deemed at fault even if it was down to guest stupidity at the end of the day...

So actually, because the park allowed Fred to re-ride Alpina Blitz several times without getting off, they are technically liable for the fact that he was ill... If he suffered any damage from this situation, then he could potentially sue the park for negligence for guest safety...

Just remember, parks create these rules to ensure the safety of YOU, the paying customer/guest... Because if they don't ensure the safety of their guests, they will be in a lot more trouble than it's worth...

I've done a fair few bouts of ERT in my time, and the ones I enjoy the most have been the ones where I've had to run around and 'queue' again... My ERT on Twister this year involved no getting off, and as a result I actually felt ill after about 30 minutes of constant riding, which could have easily spoilt my day and others if I had kept going...

BUT because I was the park's responsibility and it was them who gave us the ERT, who do you think is liable if I was ill?

To be honest, I can't see a park getting sued because someone was ill.

I can. You only have to glance at daytime television to see adverts for claiming for compensation for whatever stupid reason you can think of.

Decided to throw yourself off the top of a ladder at work? Not your fault, there was no sign telling you not to.

OK, I jest a bit to make my point, but unfortunately that's the blame culture we live in.

I can. You only have to glance at daytime television to see adverts for claiming for compensation for whatever stupid reason you can think of.

Decided to throw yourself off the top of a ladder at work? Not your fault, there was no sign telling you not to.

OK, I jest a bit to make my point, but unfortunately that's the blame culture we live in.

Yes but there is a difference between getting seriously injured from falling off a ladder and being ill.  I have had a very bad stomach bug these past two days partly as a result of standing in the freezing cold for 110 minutes for My Bloody Valentine at Thorpe, perhaps I should sue for that!

Yes but there is a difference between getting seriously injured from falling off a ladder and being ill.  I have had a very bad stomach bug these past two days partly as a result of standing in the freezing cold for 110 minutes for My Bloody Valentine at Thorpe, perhaps I should sue for that!

Do it then.

I mean, "very bad stomach bug" doesn't sound much worse than "seriously injured"?

Although by your logic, you queued in the first place so it's your fault.

Do it then.

I mean, "very bad stomach bug" doesn't sound much worse than "seriously injured"?

Although by your logic, you queued in the first place so it's your fault.

Well no I was joking as I can see that, just like re-riding, it was ultimately my choice (even though I could argue that I wouldn't have got the bug if the queue had only taken the advertised 60 minutes).

Are you really suggesting that a stomach bug that lasts for 2/3 days max is not much worse than being seriously injured, I.e. breaking your neck?  I think the latter would be much worse.

Is it actually medically possible to get a stomach bug (rather than a flu bug) just from standing out in the cold?

Of course, when regarding illnesses, I was referencing to actual serious ones, or indeed even things like migraines and the like which can escalate to something else if the conditions are correct... Basically anything that could occur as a result from sitting on a ride (or anything that enduces forces upon the human body to higher levels than that it is used to) constantly for ages and result in the person potentially becoming seriously ill...

Of course, if Jamie's case gets a good result, I'll sue Blackpool for building Valhalla ;)

It's actually important that these 'silly' rules exist because some guests love to try and make claims against the park all the time. Of course, operation procedures don't rely on guests being sensible so failsafes are in place, but guests can and HAVE tried to sue for things that the park could have done absolutely nothing to prevent.

It's hard to understand at first and some restrictions do seem like "H&S gone mad"; now I live off an element of danger but that phrase means absolutely nothing in the world of theme parks. You have to see for yourself how selfishly some guests can act. After all, it is true that the park is responsible for the well being of every guest, including people of all intentions, so there need to be blanket rules that can be enforced appropriately.

I'm not commenting on whether the reride rule is justified for Dragon's Fury, but it will be there for a reason - however silly it may seem at first.

^ You, as it was you that chose to stay on. That's how it should work anyway.

To be honest, I can't see a park getting sued because someone was ill.

Jeez, thats the point CJ, you give people (especially the GP) choice to stay on for ride after ride, they could potentially make themselves ill as a consequence. The park s cover their own backs because even seasoned coaster enthusiasts like Benin and Fred can make themselves feel iffy after too many rides. We don't know if Benin has a medical condition, he might not even know. It may be triggered by one too many spins on Dragons Fury and then what. No re-rides whatsoever, Fury closed for investigation. I don't necessarily agree that Fury would ever do that, but there is always that chance, a chance the park do not (apparently) want to take.

Well in the case of having to get back off again I dont see the point. When I went to southend and went on rage 30 times most times I went out the exit, back up the queue and bam away I went! And I didnt have any illness except a headache! If there is a queue forming then yes its only fair you should have to get off but otherwise if its dead just go again!