Island Beats

JoshC.

They must really not be selling well.

It would help if they did some promotion, other than social media.

The advert was on the TV once the other night, the 10 second one that explains totally naff all about the event, nothing in the local papers either.

Believe it or not there's still a lot of people that don't use social media.

I saw DJ Fresh last week, and Sigma. They're alright, but ultimately just a DJ set playing mostly their own songs while some talentless loon shouts "ARE YOU READY" and "****" many many times over the top of it while bouncing around stage front. 

Go and see a real band instead, or at least someone who'll actually sing or perform a bit.

It would help if they did some promotion, other than social media.

The advert was on the TV once the other night, the 10 second one that explains totally naff all about the event, nothing in the local papers either.

Believe it or not there's still a lot of people that don't use social media.

I agree that they should be doing more promotion other than on social media, but I think it's fair for the park to use social media as their main source.  At the end of the day, Island Beats will be targeting a younger audience, and a very large majority of them will be using social media in some way.  Music acts in general seem to more advertise through social media / word of mouth.  Very few will be tempted to go because of seeing an article in the paper or by seeing a TV advert.

It does seem that the events aren't selling as well as they'd hope, but hopefully that's just because it's early days.  Schools still haven't broken up yet, word is probably still get out there, etc. - let's hope that everything does grow for them! 

I saw DJ Fresh last week, and Sigma. They're alright, but ultimately just a DJ set playing mostly their own songs while some talentless loon shouts "ARE YOU READY" and "****" many many times over the top of it while bouncing around stage front. 

Go and see a real band instead, or at least someone who'll actually sing or perform a bit.

Weird. I saw DJ Fresh a couple of years ago and they had a live band and singers.

Depends if it's 'DJ Fresh Live' or 'DJ Fresh DJ Set'

It's just listed as 'DJ FRESH' with no detail, as was the festival I was at. It's not 'just' a DJ set, as he has the aforementioned goon 'performing', but it's a long way from a live musical performance.

I don't mean to be negative about Island Beats, I love the idea of it, but I always think a DJ set is not mainstage material in this way. It has it's place at something like the MoS nights (and the smaller dance stages at a festival), but this should be some actual music making.

I saw Sigma the Saturday just gone for the __ amount of times, whilst I disagree about the general gist of what you're saying, I agree that this isn't the most fitting event to see a heavy drum and bass DJ  :rolleyes: Especially not when you're paying to watch them on a cheap looking stage in pretty much broad daylight  :wacko:

So the beach huts on Amity Beach are available to hire for £25. Bit of a strange idea if I'm honest? Can't see many people paying to hire a beach hut at a theme park? Will be interesting to see how they do. 

11027451_821234677993092_211696549914454

11750626_821234631326430_205654036243840

(Photos from Theme park POV facebook)

So the beach huts on Amity Beach are available to hire for £25. Bit of a strange idea if I'm honest? Can't see many people paying to hire a beach hut at a theme park? Will be interesting to see how they do.

11027451_821234677993092_211696549914454

11750626_821234631326430_205654036243840

(Photos from Theme park POV facebook)

Most of them had people using them when I got here early this afternoon!

To be fair, that is their target market, and the majority of the visitors experiencing the park are in their teens or are young adults.

Their target market nowadays is families with older children / up-for-it families. Press releases make it seem like it's children of age 8+, which seems to fit.

Island Beats seems more aimed at a slightly older audience than that to be fair, but it would be nice to see even more variety in the acts.

Their target market nowadays is families with older children / up-for-it families. Press releases make it seem like it's children of age 8+, which seems to fit.

Island Beats seems more aimed at a slightly older audience than that to be fair, but it would be nice to see even more variety in the acts.

The issue is, despite them trying to divert more families into the park, the park is now a major attraction for teenagers in London and therefore the majority of visitors during any public holiday will be teenagers as there is a much larger appeal for them to the park.

If families are looking for a family day out at a theme park, they will tend to choose chessington as there is actually enough to fill a families day out opposed to thorpe park.

If families are looking for a family day out at a theme park, they will tend to choose chessington as there is actually enough to fill a families day out opposed to thorpe park.

Depends on the family. If you're a family with kids aged over 8, you could feasibly have just as fun a day out at Thorpe as at Chessington. If you're a family with kids aged over 10, Thorpe looks more and more like the better option of the two.

Thorpe has plenty of family rides, it just has a thrill focus - nothing wrong with that!

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the market path they have chosen... I think having a thrill-orientated park in the UK is something different to the standard family orientated park and gives members of the public the option if they are looking for a more intense and action-packed day out.

I was simply trying to make the point that the majority of the visitors are teenagers and young adults; pop music is more than likely to be present as it is currently what is trending for the young generation. Varieties of other music genres would be nice however they are more unlikely to happen as if the majority of visitors are teenagers and young adults, things around the park including the general atmosphere are likely to be created to suit them.

The thing with pop music, is that it rarely offends those who don't like it. They may not enjoy it, but it certainly isn't going to put them in a bad mood. However, lets say Rock music for example is literally HATED by some people, I know some people that would leave the room if they had to listen to the sound of a guitar being shredded. A lot of the younger generation also feel the same way about older music from the 70s/80s/90s. 

Obviously they could bring back commissioned tracks, but again, outside of enthusiasts, who really enjoys these tracks? 

As for Island Beats, lets face it, Merlin are not in a position to take a huge risk and hold a concert that wont generate a guaranteed decent return. Festivals and Music events are a huge thing in the UK at the moment, and accounted for £3 billion in the UK last year, and Merlin are probably itching to get a slice of the pie in the easiest way possible, and they're not gonna do that through throwing a rock/latino/blues etc. concert. 

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Rizzle Kicks tonight, was absolutely fantastic. Definitely worth the £5 each we paid ;)

Atmosphere was electric, the performance was really good and overall it was much much better than expected. The longest we waited all night was 30mins for X however the longest queue which I observed was 120mins for Tidal wave between the time we were in the park; 3:30-9:30pm.

Some of the boards were wrong, for Tidal Wave we waited all of 2 minutes around 9, and Colossus was walk on even though the board was saying 50 minutes, I asked the ride op about the board and they said someone had set it wrong and they couldn't be bothered to change it.

There was more people there though, and was it just me or did the concert end much earlier that the Little Mix one? Little Mix went on to about 9.15 but we were waiting for Colossus front row (a massive 5 minute wait) at about 8.30 when all the concert people piled into the queue.

Some of the boards were wrong, for Tidal Wave we waited all of 2 minutes around 9, and Colossus was walk on even though the board was saying 50 minutes, I asked the ride op about the board and they said someone had set it wrong and they couldn't be bothered to change it.

There was more people there though, and was it just me or did the concert end much earlier that the Little Mix one? Little Mix went on to about 9.15 but we were waiting for Colossus front row (a massive 5 minute wait) at about 8.30 when all the concert people piled into the queue.

Pretty much all the queue time boards were inaccurate throughout the whole afternoon and evening, but that's Thorpe Park for you isn't it.... I found it very odd that Colossus was displaying 30mins at 6:30pm and when we came out of the concert, it was then displaying 50mins. I was in doubt that either of those queue times were actually accurate, as by 6:30pm, pretty much every single ride on park was 5minutes wait. Although second trains on rides were not absolutely necessary during the evening, I found it very odd how they removed trains after 6pm on the big rollercoasters. Whilst I did not encounter this myself, it must be very annoying to have to wait an extra 10-20mins at a rollercoaster because they are reducing the throughput. I believe X and Saw did not remove any cars though after 6pm.

The concert itself was shorter than I was expecting as I was expecting it to go on for about 90minutes but it only ended up lasting 50-60minutes. We entered the performance area about 7:30pm for it to start at about 7:45pm and it must have ended between 8:35-8:45pm. Was certainly expecting it to go on till about 9pm however it wasn't a problem for us as it meant we were able to get a few more rides in. I think the fact that Rizzle Kicks haven't been performing lately(they now don't have another 'major' gig until 2016) combined with the fact that they haven't been creating any new tracks may have meant that they ran out of songs quicker than the other acts. However, I must say the atmosphere and vibe during their concert was much better than expected and their tunes did put everyone in a really lively mood.