Island Beats

JoshC.

Does seem illogical to take trains off but I guess they have their reasons, maybe they want to minimise the wear and tear on the trains, there wasn't even enough people riding Inferno to fill a single train let alone two lol.

Does anybody know who this Wilkinson is that's on the 14th? We're due to go then with some friends and I'm trying to guage how busy it'll be, Vamps, Little Mix and Rizzle Kicks are the only ones I've heard of,, to me Wilkinson is a shop.... :)

So this is gonna sound really dumb probably but

A) people are saying they got in for £5 but now the website is saying it's £10... Am I looking in the wrong place?

B) can you just go in the day and then leave beforehand because I'd planned to go tomorrow totally forgetting it was island beats haha

Does anybody know who this Wilkinson is that's on the 14th? We're due to go then with some friends and I'm trying to guage how busy it'll be, Vamps, Little Mix and Rizzle Kicks are the only ones I've heard of,, to me Wilkinson is a shop.... :)

I have no idea and still have no idea who Wilkinson is - I too thought of the shop B)

I was at TP yesterday evening and we went to collect our wrist bands - we only booked for Summer Nights but the dude on admissions gave us all Island Beats wristbands(?!)  Was thinking it must have been a mistake, but then when I walked past the gig area I saw what looked to be about 30ish people in there - granted it did get slightly busier in that area a little while later but did think maybe we got island beats bands because they hadn't sold many.

Last Friday they had Professor Green on and when we went to collect our wrist bands the person asked if we were there for summer nights or island beats - my sister commented that she quite likes Pro Green and she was told there were spaces left, so she got 2 bands for a tenner.  I struggle to see how TP are making money from Island Beats - they obviously have to pay the acts to perform there, but the area they play in doesn't look huge - plus if you have an annual pass you get discounted tickets anyway.

Yup still don't kbow myself LOL, they wouldn't even let me in at first either.

Well I dunno, but every other time we've just walked up to the annual pass entrance, shown our pass and the eventbrite ticket and been given a wristband, last night the Mrs, mini me and his friend got in the usual way, I was following and the girl wouldn't let me in, said I had to goto the advanced ticket office to collect my wristband, I politely explained that I'd never had to do that previously and if I were them, I wouldn't send anymore people that way because it looked like a riot was going to kick off (there was about a hundred people in the advanced ticket collection queue behind a family of ten buying annual passes who were hogging both windows), she smiled and said I'll give you the wristband this time balah blah hehe.

We did walk past the stage on the way to X and there was about 5 people in there, I do wonder if Thorpe are paying the acts, my neighbour is a singer and she often does these types of events and either just get's expenses or a share of the gate fee, she rarely get's paid for a small gig like these.

Learnt something new too, Swarm can/will only run with a minimum number of people on, they really don't like sending it round half empty in case it stalls. Saw lots of management wondering round too, not really a good night to guage interest since the weather was so crap.

Surprising about Swarm considering both recent days I have been the ride was closed temporarily and then sent many empty cars around before reopening without having to add weight to the cars like say they do with the big one. Maybe the wind speed was a little higher as I know they have a wind speed limit on Swarm.

Yeah could have been a bs excuse, I did have a little chuckle because we had the entire train to ourselves the other week.

Note to self, don't leave your phone in the car, trying to communicate with two 11 year olds across the station about what seats to queue for without one is a pain in the arse, should really say thank you to the station staff who helped us by radioing messages back and forth :lol:

I've definitely seen a lack of advertisement for acts such as Wilkinson and DJ Fresh. Whenever Thorpe post pictures at the gig it does look significantly emptier than the other acts. There's definitely a market for those types of acts (considering that MoS does do quite well). Maybe it's the weather that puts people off? I've seen the odd TV spot and the (horrendous) emoji filled tweets but I do feel as if they could've done a liiiiitle bit more. It definitely has potential!

The potential is there - it just seems that lack of advertisement and a relatively small gig area (plus a few naff acts in my opinions but then I'm not young!). Shame they don't have a bigger area, like the arena but then I wonder if they would shift more tickets than they have already. Will be interesting to see if they bring back Island Beats next year. It's a good way of getting people into the park - maybe people who go only to see a certain act and then try out the rides and decide to revisit just for the park. I dunno - just thinking out loud here

Meliora is my favourite album of the year so far, hoping that the new Tesseract album will be good (they just announced a tour today :D )

I swear I made more posts on this forum, no idea why it's saying I've only made 2 posts.

Edit: Later this day, my mate won two tickets to Reading and we ended up seeing Ghost, amazing band. You have to see them live if you get the opportunity. Just waiting for my student loan so I can afford a ticket to their tour.

I swear I made more posts on this forum, no idea why it's saying I've only made 2 posts.

Only 'on topic' posts add to the tally, so theme park stuff and not the off topic secrions.

I like the idea of beats. I like summer nights. I like ministry of sound. The way they're all mixed up seems to make it a bit confusing though and I think might be part of the problem causing sales lower than expected sometimes. I think they need to simplify their offering somehow.

Island Beats on the smaller stage was called off today. kinda would have been nice to have been told(by the time it was meant to be the time when everyone performs it was clear and dry) as I was walking round for ages trying to find the artist but hopefully weather is better tomorrow! :)

Hang on a minute...  People paid to enter the park under the impression that Island Beats would be on, and then they called it off?  Not good at all if that was the case.

To be fair, the park was rather quiet yesterday and the rain was rather miserable at some points.  In those sorts of situations, it wouldn't be unheard of for any park to cancel any form of show last minute.

Given that it was only a set of small acts, I very much doubt many guests would have come specifically to see them.  It's a shame such a thing was called off, but it's not exactly the worse thing in the world.

Island Beats has ended this weekend, in a rather quiet fashion.  

I do hope that this has been a success for the park as they've obviously put a fair amount of time and money into what is a bit of a risky idea.  Will be interesting to see if it returns next season, and whether it will be bigger or not!

Also, we have this from Showcase Live...

They were tearing down the posters and chucking them in the bin as we left yesterdsy, but they were neatly folding up the banners on the bridge and keeping them. We've been to about half a dozen of them and attendance has increased steadily throughout the Summer, even last night when it was pouring down there was more people there than for the first few.

Even though I have no interest in the music, the selfish 'won't stand in a queue if itss more thn 20 minutes' side of me hopes it was a success for them and it continues in some form next year as it's great for those of us who can't stand queing for things lol.