Island Beats

JoshC.

I don't think Thorpe has received the budget cuts the other parks has seemed to be getting yet. For example 6 rides have been open for hotel guests until 9 last week and this week, which is great. I haven't noticed any less staff either, I've only seen more. Opened at 9:15 for annual pass holders on Sunday and got told this is a permanent thing. The opening times are also good, much better than Alton and Chessington. 

I'm sure getting the likes of Rizzle Kicks doesn't come that cheap, why can't they find a penny of budget for regular average day in park entertainment then?

Presumably the entertainment budget his mostly used for the music events the past couple of years, MoS and Fright Nights and hotel evening entertainment.  And now they'll probably be pumping money into IAC too.

So it's nothing new really, but I do agree the park needs a regular show, or roaming characters or something still.  I want to see that red Angry Bird roaming round ABL, or Max Thrill make a return! :(

Thorpe might have struck a ticket percentage deal with the bands, this is how gigs worked back in the last century, a band would get a small fee to cover their travelling costs then a percentage of gate fees (usually 50%), so it might not be a case of Thorpe physically having more budget's that the other parks, management could just be more creative.

A friend is in a band and does tours across Eastern Europe, this is how they get paid (base fee + gate percentage).

Never heard of this Ella person either...

However, Thorpe have posted a short video on YouTube about the event, and it confirms that Professor Green (who I have heard of) and Rixton (Nope? Me neither) are also performing, as well as daily 'breakthrough' acts. (I'm on my phone, so can't link the video at the moment)

It sounds like 'Island Beats' is a full summer event lasting 8 weeks, with the bigger names performing on Fridays or Saturdays. So there could still be a chance of 'normal' Summer Nights returning.

EDIT: Just got completely ninjaed here... :ninja:

"Do NOT fear though! SUMMER NIGHTS is rumoured to be staying around for those who don't wish to see the acts. This will be priced at £15. Rides available will be a mixture of coasters including Stealth, THE SWARM, Saw - The Ride, Nemesis Inferno as well as water rides such as Tidal Wave, Loggers Leap and Storm Surge. "

From theme park collective.

---

Unsure whether this means Summer Nights will be taking place at the same time as Island Beats or whether it will be seperate event altogether. If the two events are tied in together, I fear it could defeat the point of summer nights as it may be quite busy resulting in queues. However, I'm hoping capacity is strictly limited as the performance area is likely to be relatively small and there is always the option of adding a second train to rollercoasters(however unlikely that is to happen).

http://www.music-news.com/ShowNews.asp?nItemID=88687

Confirms tickets set to go on sale 2nd May.  Also, it seems like Summer Nights is returning:

Guests can take advantage of extended ride time until 10pm every Friday and Saturday when the headline artists perform.

Guests keen to bank their summer adrenaline rush, but not book in for the show can bag a Summer Nights ticket for just £15, which allows you to enjoy the Park's Summer Nights ride offering late into the sunset evenings.

Naughty me for double posting, but some more details and plans for y'all:  http://www.thorpeparkmania.co.uk/news/16-04-2015/Island-Beats-Details-Revealed

So we have Tidal Stage returning for small acts (like last year) and the new Crust Stage for the bigger acts.

It's a bit weird how it's working.  On Fridays and Saturdays, when the big acts perform, you can either get a Summer Nights ticket for £15, which gets you entry into the park between 4-10pm (no mention of if there's AP discount, but presumably there is), but no 'entry' into the concert.  The alternative is an Island Beats ticket for £37.50, which is access for 10am-10pm, and access to the concert to see the big name and a support artist to perform between 6:30-9.  

They're saying that they can have crowds of up to 2000 for the big acts, but whether that means 2000 including Summer Nights people or 2000 allowed into the concert itself is a bit unclear (I sure hope it's the former of those options - imagine 2000 squashed in the small space between Crust and that stage for 3 hours!).  

Seems a bit silly to me though.  Surely even if you don't get 'entry' into the concert, you'll still be able to hear and see the artist perform, just from a bit further afield?  :blink:

Surely the park won't be closing at 16.00 for the day guests though? So it sounds to me like we are going for a straight 10.00 - 22.00 opening with an evening ticket available. That's surely going to make the evenings substantially busier, but I think is a much better way of running the event and pushing the boundaries out of our historically restricted opening times. If they can make this work I can see it boding well for extended opening times in general.

As for the concert, I would imagine the lost city flats will be closed during the evening, so the entrance to the stage area can be sufficiently far away to make the ticket worth while. Shame they didn't use the spare island.

Surely even if you don't get 'entry' into the concert, you'll still be able to hear and see the artist perform, just from a bit further afield?  :blink:

Oh dear, obviously whoever thought of this at Thorpe hasn't ever been to something like Glastonbury or a similar event.

Last time I went to something like this at the British GP many years ago, you could hear the concert on the other side of the facility over a mile away.... I know you can direct sound in specific directions and all that, but LOL Thorpe, haven't really thought this through have you?

Summer Nights should be put on as a separate event when the concerts are not running, like in the alternative weeks or something, do they really think people are going to pay £75 a week for 8 weeks to goto a concert each weekend?

This is only going to confuse people...

-Selected rides only from 6pm yet park is closing at 7pm to day guests? Surely that's slightly unfair...

That was a typo; it was meant to say 7pm (though even that is not fully confirmed, and just assumed from previous Summer Nights)!  Fixed now; thanks.

Summer Nights should be put on as a separate event when the concerts are not running, like in the alternative weeks or something, do they really think people are going to pay £75 a week for 8 weeks to goto a concert each weekend?

I assume the idea is that non-passholder guests would only want to visit to see their favourite act, so will only visit once.  I highly doubt they expect many, if any, non-passholder people to go to the Friday and Saturday events!

The ideas which people have thrown about of Summer Nights becoming an evening ticket and Lost City flats closing off for the concert make sense too.  Hope this is a success for the park; especially if it means longer opening hours!

Lost City is the area to the left as you walk out the dome isn't it? The area that was basically closed off during the annual pass events.

I couldn't make head nor tails of the plan for the stage so can't place it.

8 weeks worth of acts seems an extremely big period to fill.

Its a step in the right direction but really there shouldn't be summer nights on top of it. If they are going to have it as a concert with a few rides open then that's fine but there shouldn't be 2 tickets for that. Personally I think they should have made it so day guests can go and there is an evening ticket which allows entry from 4 but if I'm honest I doubt we will ever see that happen. Thorpe's capacity is just too low.