Fright Nights 2015

spoon

I'm sure marlin have the money as they are very money grabbing at every turn. Disney and universal reinvest their money brilliantly.

Universal have way bigger budgets to play around with than merlin do, anyway HHN's mazes are not in groups and suffer from that greatly.

Merlin just simply can't invest millions if pounds into a event which is less than a month long, even if they would like to,they don't have the budget for it.

ok so from the ones ive done:

CITW: 9/10, p much due to the ending

S13: 6/10, not scary but its p cool. ending was fun too

saw: 2/10. ****e

MBV: 8/10, pretty intense but way too short 

blair witch: 7/10, creepy as hell and the ending was kinda intense

yeah..thats it

I'm interested to hear out of 5 what scare factor would you guys give the mazes

Focusing on scare only (rather than quality), here would be my ratings:

My Bloody Valentine 5/10

Cabin in the Woods 5/10

The Blair Witch Project 4/10

Saw Alive 2/10

Studio 13 4/10

The Asylum 7/10

Experiment 10 (first year only) 9/10

The Curse 5/10

Se7en 5/10

Hellgate 6/10

The Passing 1/10

What are these electric shock things. Sounds a bit intense

Tulleys Farm's new maze has electric shocks in it, actually it would of really made Saw Alive a little better.

But then again I don't think Merlin could keep the effects working for long though, Scorpion Express anybody. :lol:

I'm interested to hear out of 5 what scare factor would you guys give the mazes

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Here's mine

Saw Alive: 1/5, terrible.

S13:  2/5,  meh.

Cabin:  4/5, fun, but the ending..

MBV 4/5 , intense and claustophobic,just very short.

Asylum: 5/5, great maze,great ending,

BWP (2013) 1/5, terrible

BWP (2014) 4/5, long,and a good ending.

Yeah we have been given new ones but I look at places like universal horror nights. They manage to change the majority of there 8 mazes and many scare zones annually.

For everyone making comments about this being an unfair comparison.  Usually I would agree (and in some ways, I do), but in 2013, Thorpe made a very daring comment and said that Fright Nights is an event that can compete with ones in America (something along the lines of "people shouldn't need to fly over to America to get the best quality scare event" or something).

However, I'm fine with the smaller changes Thorpe do.  There's not necessarily as much scope for them with IPs (after all, they will likely want well-known / popular IPs, and these could quickly dry up) and they do have a smaller budget.  They still do make changes every year to the line up, and keep things fresh and original.  I do hope we see a couple of new mazes next year though replacing the current crop.

also am I right in saying previous years you got to choose which main movie monster was in Cabin, (ballerina and Fornicus) Wonder if that'll come back?

I don't seem to remember it happening last year?  Definitely happened in 2013, but I don't remember seeing any choices last year.  Would be great if they could bring it back this year, since it really suits in style of the maze.  Also, I hope there's less clowns in the maze this year (especially with Big Top around now); have more variety of monsters!  

(Can we have a Merman monster please Thorpe?)

Yes, the electric shocks were removed before the public opening. But on previews it was present. In fact, it's been commented on by a few writers...

I remember thinking this too, but apparently it wasn't present on any previews.  I think they did say 'There might be electric shocks in this maze', but it turned out to just be the vibrations (which would be just as scary with the psychological factor taken into account).  It was definitely planned, but didn't seem to happen.

Would be interested to see who wrote about it though!

I think Thorpe kind of tripped up on its own marketing when they claimed it would be on par with HHN(that's paraphrased mind, they didn't really explicitly say that). I assume what they meant to say was that it'll be the first time you could experience movie based horror mazes here in the UK, but got a bit excited. 

You can't say Thorpe don't reinvest their profit on its most successful event though. Fright Nights gets a substantial addition every year, and whether or not some ideas turn out to be a logistical fail, they do a lot of experimentation with their mazes, especially in comparison to Alton Towers for example, where they still had vanilla linear conga line mazes last year. 

Can anyone tell me which of all the new/ish lionsgate mazes you get to stay in a group for? I always say I miss the old mazes but haven't actually been in any of the new ones (or been to frightnights since they arrived) but I don't really have an interest in going in them if I have to go through it alone :P

As far as I can remember, you're almost always with someone!

In MBV the group is split in half but you'll be with other people.

Blair Witch is completely linear and you stay with the large group you enter with.

Cabin is totally different in that it's completely free flow- as in you can actually get lost if you don't know where you're supposed to be heading- and the actors have the advantage of being able to isolate you or shove members of the group into different rooms. Although I've usually been with at least one other person in my group the whole way through, I've had a couple runs where I've been alone for a short while! It ends linear though so you'd probably meet back up!

Of course, with all the mazes there's a chance you'll be picked on and perhaps held back for a short while...

As far as I can remember, you're almost always with someone!

In MBV the group is split in half but you'll be with other people.

Blair Witch is completely linear and you stay with the large group you enter with.

Cabin is totally different in that it's completely free flow- as in you can actually get lost if you don't know where you're supposed to be heading- and the actors have the advantage of being able to isolate you or shove members of the group into different rooms. Although I've usually been with at least one other person in my group the whole way through, I've had a couple runs where I've been alone for a short while! It ends linear though so you'd probably meet back up!

Of course, with all the mazes there's a chance you'll be picked on and perhaps held back for a short while...

ah ok, thanks! Might still give them all a try then if I go this year, I remember finding the dark room alone in exp 10 terrifying (in the best of ways) but I've always thought going through the majority of a maze alone would be a bit pointless as it's always fun with friends :P

I don't seem to remember it happening last year?  Definitely happened in 2013, but I don't remember seeing any choices last year.  Would be great if they could bring it back this year, since it really suits in style of the maze.  Also, I hope there's less clowns in the maze this year (especially with Big Top around now); have more variety of monsters!  

(Can we have a Merman monster please Thorpe?)

!

Just found the picture they posted last year, it's on their Facebook timeline. :)

The merman would be brilliant, I remember when we did BTS they spoke about the different costumes for CITW. They said things like the werewolf costume etc were too risky for actors to wear for long periods of time which is why they try and reduce it to only using face makeup and masks. Fornicus and sugarplum fairy seem like the two easy ones to go for as what they apply can pretty much be used on any actor without many changes. Thaf elevator scene was really iconic in the film, would love to see them play around with the other monsters, we can only hope!

Experiment 10 is without a doubt the scariest and best maze Thorpe have ever done, if we don't see it return when the Lionsgate partnership ends I'll be disappointed. Although it had throughput issues, the isolation chambers were just so intense, waiting for something to happen. Best maze I've ever done.

Big Top looks great, and roaming clowns were the best roaming actors in the last 5 years

Hi guys, this year I've decided to just brave it and do as many scare attractions as I can. Thank you all for the help and advice you have given me on how to survive them, I decided to just man up and face my fears head on. I've just booked my tickets for containment @ FN, tulleys shocktoberfest, preview night and first 3 days at FN, and chessington howl'o'ween. I'll write up my full reviews of all the events once I have done them and give you the link.

Once again I thank you all so much for the advice, Jack.

Hi guys, this year I've decided to just brave it and do as many scare attractions as I can. Thank you all for the help and advice you have given me on how to survive them, I decided to just man up and face my fears head on. I've just booked my tickets for containment @ FN, tulleys shocktoberfest, preview night and first 3 days at FN, and chessington howl'o'ween. I'll write up my full reviews of all the events once I have done them and give you the link.

Once again I thank you all so much for the advice, Jack.

That's brave for someone new to scare attractions! Hope you enjoy :D

I know I'm really scared, but I think I'm thinking about it too much. I'm sure I'll be fine if I don't think about it and go straight in, I'm sure I'll enjoy it afterwards...

Hopefully LOL!

Try to enjoy yourself! I'm sure you'll find it fun. Don't force yourself to do anything you don't want to do either, they're made to make you scared but if you're not comfortable that's fine! I know I definitely wouldn't have done the mazes a few years ago :P looking forward to see how you find them all. :)