The Smiler Incident 02/06/2015

Ian-S

• 4 months later...

http://m.nottinghampost.com/new-video-emerges-of-alton-towers-smiler-crash/story-29738568-detail/story.html

This new video has emerged showing the buildup to the shocking accident that occurred on The Smiler. 

The video doesn't directly show the crash, however you can hear the horrifying sound it made as the train with the passengers in hit the empty stalled train.

Holy s**t :mellow: 

Watching that has really disturbed me...that noise :( And the ride music going "Ha ha ha" straight afterwards just sounds so twisted.

I can't help but wonder why the clip has only emerged now. I guess out of respect the person didn't send it in to any media? It's just unfortunate that it's appeared now, a week before the hearing. 

43 minutes ago, Matt Creek said:

Safe to say watching that was rather disturbing, especially hearing the bang when you know the crash occurred. 

This accident could have been avoided if the right methods were implemented. 

Don't you mean the crash would have been avoided had the existing procedures been followed properly?

22 hours ago, Mer said:

Holy s**t :mellow: 

Watching that has really disturbed me...that noise :( And the ride music going "Ha ha ha" straight afterwards just sounds so twisted.

I can't help but wonder why the clip has only emerged now. I guess out of respect the person didn't send it in to any media? It's just unfortunate that it's appeared now, a week before the hearing. 

Yes, the ride music after the smash was odd.  The sound of that crash though - just awful.  Was horrible to watch, knowing that those poor buggers were about to crash into the stalled train then hearing it.  Cannot even imagine what they must have thought as they headed towards to stalled train and realising what was about to happen.  Also, as we know, the front 4 passengers were the most seriously injured but I often wonder if it has affected anyone that actually witnessed it - might sound like an odd thing to say but I don't think I would cope well if I saw that - especially being unable to help the poor sods.  I know one thing though - I wouldn't have hung around to take photos after the smash - I just think that is so wrong

3 minutes ago, Han30 said:

I often wonder if it has affected anyone that actually witnessed it - might sound like an odd thing to say but I don't think I would cope well if I saw that - especially being unable to help the poor sods.  I know one thing though - I wouldn't have hung around to take photos after the smash - I just think that is so wrong

Not an odd thing at all, you're right, it probably has. Almost like witnessing a car crash

I think something like what happened on the Smiler could potentially cause PTSD in some people.  Yes I do agree about images and videos being helpful to investigations - but to take pictures once the event has happened and when the people on the ride were in distress is plain wrong in my eyes - I couldn't stand there filming etc when there are people screaming out in pain

I think something like what happened on the Smiler could potentially cause PTSD in some people.  Yes I do agree about images and videos being helpful to investigations - but to take pictures once the event has happened and when the people on the ride were in distress is plain wrong in my eyes - I couldn't stand there filming etc when there are people screaming out in pain

The end of the world will be broadcast down a camera phone ;)

So we now have more details into what happened on that day, this is what we have so far:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-37471624

There is also a link there to live updates which go into more detail. 

What I find quite concerning is how none of the engineers who attended had any understanding of the operation of the ride or "full understanding of what was going on." Having just done the Stealth BST yesterday and speaking to two engineers, I know that Thorpe have two engineers for a ride (can't remember if they used to the word assigned or not) and in a shutdown, one will receive the radio call and if they can't attend, the other will be called (although of course some shutdowns require more than one). I don't know how Towers works with theirs, but either it doesn't sound like they have the same system, or they do but for whatever reason those engineers weren't available. However I'm aware that we've only heard from the prosecution side so far, so I'm not wanting to make any assumptions yet, merely speculating.

It's also interesting about the wind speed and it not being worded as "constant" in the manufacturers manual.

Has their been any reference to the claims made that a staff member told a member of the public to mind their own business when said minion pointed out the stalled car to them?

I do wonder if these reporters are misunderstanding some things, since they called the 'Skyride' a rollercoaster earlier.  Engineer/ride operator, do they know the difference?

What sort of fine do we estimate Merlin getting? £5,000,000 sounds possible to me...

The BBC have done very well explaining pretty simply but concisely what happened and I commend them for that.

•The £18m Smiler was the world's first 14 multi-loop rollercoaster with up to five trains running at any one time

•On 2 June four trains were operating on the ride; a fifth was stored away

•At 13:00 BST there was a problem with one of the trains; technical staff were called

•One of the engineers thought it was a good opportunity to add the fifth train because the park was busy

•An empty test train was sent but failed

•Engineers pushed the train until it engaged with the system and off it went

•Another empty train was sent out. It got stuck, too, but in a different place

•Engineers were unaware of this, thought everything was working fine and handed it back to operators

•The train with 16 passengers on was sent out and stopped

•The engineers looked but could not see the stalled car, thought the computer was wrong, and over-rode the stop. This set the 16-passenger train in motion and into the empty carriage

13 minutes ago, Ian-S said:

Has their been any reference to the claims made that a staff member told a member of the public to mind their own business when said minion pointed out the stalled car to them?

I do wonder if these reporters are misunderstanding some things, since they called the 'Skyride' a rollercoaster earlier.  Engineer/ride operator, do they know the difference?

As they're basically quoting what's being said in court, I think they are being correct. Plus it mentions four engineers at one point, and there wouldn't be four operators. It was also on the ITV news just now and they said pretty much the same as the BBC. 

They haven't referenced that claim yet, and I've not heard any more on that since it first appeared. I find it hard to believe that the staff would've said that to them, and they may well have thought the guest was referring to the train on the lift hill. I wonder if the guest misheard or misinterpreted what they said, or simply forgot word for word what it was. For example they might've actually  said "Don't worry"/"It's nothing to worry about". 

• Marc unpinned this topic