Ride Accidents

pluk

Ski Jump ride collapses injuring three in manchester

2014-11-05-204658.jpg

The ride itself looks like it is still pretty much intact to me, with the surrounding walkway having collapsed. If the surround has gone off center as seems from this account then the cars would simply slip off the track and be consistent with her account.

“We had been on it for about a minute when it jolted to a stop. It was quite shocking and my son was upset

Ski Jumps seem to be one of the more incident prone rides from my anecdotal experience. Funnily enough my dad and I have both witnesses accidents with ski jumps about 20 years apart! Many many years ago my Dad was at The Kursel in Southend when a car came clean off at high speed and shot across the fair, and quite a lot of years ago at my local fair in Grays I saw one of the ride cars collapse in on itself during its 'jump, landing on its out edge.

Isn't that what 'Yeti' at Hyde Park Winter Wonderland is? I thought that looked familiar despite the wreckage!

nope Yeti was Theordore Whyatt's jumpin frog themed to a yeti ride :) a ski jump is lots of arms that have a hill that when the cars go over they fly up and the cars have either coli springs or shock abosrbers on them to make them jump!

Some bits...

USA - couple of kids fall from faulty bungee trampoline things, Americans get a little over excited.

Sheffield - not really a ride, but kids play equipment causes injury, manufacturer fined.

USA - kiddie hurt on kiddie ride, very little info.

USA - remember the unfortunate guy who slammed into the end of an flume trough empty of water? The investigation has found the operators were massively at fault, the victim is still recovering.

• 2 weeks later...

UK - Spectator left with a minor head injury a couple of years ago. Owner of a Top Buzz in the poo after he fails to maintain his ride and a bit of it fell on someone.

Update on the Texas Giant fatality from last year, 6 flag and Gerst have settled with the family of Esparza. Looks like we won't hear anything further of the details of how this actually came to happen.

Texas law does not require any state investigation into amusement park deaths, so the park handled the inquiry.

So that's alright then. That they have both settled without either publicly admitting responsability suggests to me both companies were at least partly at fault, but I guess we'll never know.

UK - Spectator left with a minor head injury a couple of years ago. Owner of a Top Buzz in the poo after he fails to maintain his ride and a bit of it fell on someone.

Update on the Texas Giant fatality from last year, 6 flag and Gerst have settled with the family of Esparza. Looks like we won't hear anything further of the details of how this actually came to happen.

So that's alright then. That they have both settled without either publicly admitting responsability suggests to me both companies were at least partly at fault, but I guess we'll never know.

sadly the owner of top buzz does not look after his ride well its sad that it had to come to that. The ridenrotting away in dubai at the moment so who knows what will happen to it in the future. Hopefully gets scrapped or sold to a decent showman

• 3 weeks later...

Overheard about this 'incident' when I was on the train earlier.

I'm not sure how this is a news story as such, it's not exactly a big incident and worse happens regularly. The cause of the electricity fault should be identified however I think asking the Matthews family to remove their ride completely is a bit far. I would not like to be stuck up there in the freezing cold however I think it is a slight over-reaction as power faults occur at theme parks and funfairs all the time. Being stuck on a ride may be frightening however it is not a major incident and I fail to see why it has to be removed because of this.

The fault may have been caused by a power cut, power cuts are never entirely avoidable, but I think the problem is with the inability to get the thing back to the ground again; something that should always be possible with or without power. Until they can demonstrate they can do that reliably it probably shouldn't be open.

Agree it's totally non news though.

Yeah I saw this happen, typical news media outlet blowing the whole story out of proportion and spreading around to people that no one should go on it, tbh didn't help that this ride was rushed in after being a week late ( they had a vortex at tp type ride replace it) and it has broken down a few times since then, so why it made the news again for something thats quite common in fair ground rides is weird, probs some family overreacting to the media to get a quick buck...

Double post but the cardiff sky swing has been axed from winter wonderland and will be replaced by this thing.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-30622505

called a mega swing...

mega_swing3.jpg

This will be operational by Monday, this was the original ride here before the sky swing as it was late and will now replace it again, following complaints and the media scrutiny.

hahaha, XXL, come on.

XXL feels exactily the same as a freakout except a bit more forceful! And getting back to the sky swing I think its been having a few problems this year since being aquired by darren matthews that's why it stopped and darren is still getting used to the ride but by 2015 it should be fixed and sorted out :)

• 2 weeks later...