Ride Accidents

pluk

Would anyone be able to explain why everyone is saying how bad intamin are, as I don't think I've heard of other incidents?

People have been killed on Perilous Plunge (knotts), Drenched (Oakwood), Bizarro (SFNE), Superman ride of steel (SF America), La tour Eiffel (Hop Hari), Drop Tower: Scream zone (CF Great America) and now Inferno (Terra Mitica).

All are the result of a malfunctioning harness or one not fitted correctly and in either case the restraint has failed. Baco's restraint failed last year so its easy to see why people are putting pressure on intamin at the moment.

Never realised it was that many... Although the problem with accidents is that is it always really primarily the manufacturers fault, rather than maintenance and running of the ride which can be difficult to tell.

I would say it's a mixture of both (can't really blame Intamin for the legless man being thrown out of the coaster, as it was the staff who eventually let him on as he was a war vet and should be treated like royalty even if he couldn't follow the ride rules/regs)... But there has to be alarm bells when lots of incidents are happening on a specific manufacturer's rides...

List of all Intamin related incidents (not just deaths, but things like the EGF derail or Xcelerator cable snap) - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intamin#Safety_incidents

Yes, it seems fire has started for opportunists

No, it's just Intamin don't have an great safety record, which is pretty much fact... Don't recall many other manufacturers having rides that fling people out on a regular basis...

Never realised it was that many... Although the problem with accidents is that is it always really primarily the manufacturers fault, rather than maintenance and running of the ride which can be difficult to tell.

Thing is though, whether maintenance of the ride is bad or not, we don't hear about people being thrown off of B&M, Mack or Vekoma rides. So what is it about Intamin rides in particular that is causing some small (such as EGF stalling on the top of the hill or Ritas launch cable snapping so violently) or to the big where someones life comes to an end.

I think both incidents are a real shame. I think Mark9 can agree with me that it feels quite surreal that a roller coaster can so spectacularly have an incident as Ninja has, especially when you think it was merely weeks since I rode it (Mark you rode it shortly after me, didn't you?). It's lucky that it actually stayed where it was, as the photos suggest it was held on by one wheel, if any at all and perhaps just the car connector. But equally with so many trees amiss it's ride area, mixed with it's swing and speed it always did feel like you'd hit the trees, just still in shock that it actually has (although I appreciate the tree has fallen).

I think its testament to Arrows ride quality that the first car didn't come snapping off and hurtling to the ground. And I really don't want to see a knee jerk reaction off all the trees being severely cut back because of it because part of Ninjas fun was how close the trees seemed to get. Still, I'm very glad that everyone came off relatively unharmed as it had the potential to be a very nasty accident. 

That's from what I know, 34 of a death count on coasters (not flats!)

What, from intamin? From all manufacturers ever? Both would be well wide of the mark as far as I'm aware.

Have you just plucked that number from thin air?

Yes but momentum states that all objects move so thy will all be swinging in the same time that's what I don't understand

The seats will have different weights, giving them different momentum.  This means some may catapult forward at different speeds and in different times, meaning it's possible for them to collide.

In theory, if everyone on the ride was the same weight, then there'd be less chance of collisions, as everyone should swing in the same time with the same speed.

going on from the intamin zac spin incident at terra mitica, a waterpark in benidorm which had a new ride opened last year has also had an incident, luckily not fatal where the trap door on a drop waterslide failed to open fully... another fact is that aqualandia (the waterpark) and mundomar (sister park - zoo), joint partnership with terra mitica only a couple of years ago! unfortunate news for both parks eh :/

LINK: http://www.screamscape.com/html/small_international_parks.htm#Aqualandia-Spain

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/greater-manchester-news/vertigo-slide-aqualandia-benidorm-spain-7415758

Edited by pluk
link to source added

I always thought it stopping too fast would cause a maypole effect

I was thinking the same sort of thing, combined with the seats swinging up (like a childs swing) then falling down when the chain slackens. Whatever the mechanics of it it's not hard to envisage quite a violent result if the ride stops very suddenly, even the seats on a normal chair-o-planes coming to a regular stop all clatter into each other.

Elsewhere, a report following a HSE prosecution after a lad was thrown from a brand new Orbiter a couple of years ago. Unusually its the manufacturer and assessors prosecuted rather than the owner and operator. Reading between the lines it seems he simply slid out as the restraint wasn't actually designed to restrain, something of an oversight that!

I think the orbiter that had an accident was darren matthews extreme which was made by the same people who make the famous twister rides in the UK. the accident meant all extremes which had manual closing safety bars had to have a special metal bar which you put your arm through for added safety. the makers of that extreme had never made an extreme before( I think thats true dont quote me) and that was their first one so that one was a prototype!

Going back to the Starflyer incident at T in the Park, I was there and noticed that the ride was closed after dark one night as we were watching the lights on the tower one minute and they were off the next. The ride was closed most of the next day but reopened later with two of the seats tied together to keep them away from the others and to stop people from riding in them.

Obviously the highlight of the funfair was Danter's Air though ;)

It would appear that ZacSpins are starting to reopen, SFMM and Grona Lund's for certain, with Kirnu in Finland following soon...

Most media reports are pointing towards Terra Mitica having made some modifications to the restraint systems on Inferno... Whether or not these were approved by Intamin or not remains to be 100% confirmed from what I can see/tell (it's all media conjecture atm), but it does look like we can blame the Spaniards for this incident...

• 2 weeks later...

Just from the initial report I don't think so. They are the closest cables to riders, but they don't move. It states the cable that came into contact with them had 'slipped', suggesting it is a moving part (that go over those big guide wheels I guess), I just can't see how the cable right up there can reach riders without breaking, but I'm only guessing. 

fs33a.jpg

(the dark grey wheels bellow the big red circles I mean, the cable goes round these from the drive to the ride)

Anyone know where that cable would end up if it slipped