Ride Accidents

pluk

Chile - Vekoma Boomerang injures 22  - Minor injuries like whiplash, it seems. Looks like the train has separated leaving the rear cars in the station, so an estop has occurred. Which is a damn good thing because on a Boomerang that would go bad real quick!

imageuploadedbytapatalk1421116142.jpg

Shortest Boomerang train ever.

Google translate says...

An accident Saturday afternoon occurred in a game Fantasyland amusement park in Santiago , leaving 22 people injured .
The incident occurred in Boomerang roller coaster , where the last cars would have been released, separated from others. This generated the emergency brake is activated , causing injuries to passengers.
Lesions of people ranging from nervous shock and whiplash . These were taken to medical grounds by the company to be served.
The downtown attractions open on Sunday reported that normally, but the game Boomerang closed for review.    

• 3 weeks later...

Boutros Boutros Ghali, ess-ess-essess, Chris waddle.

That stopped pretty damn sharpish! I guess the ride 'knows' that nothing should be going through there while the train is on the lift, so applys all the brakes and shuts down immediately? Either that or the op was really on the ball; if that car had continued through and then back down to the station from the other way under gravity, and the main train been released, there would have been a hell of a coming together. Fatal I'd expect.

I presume Vekoma have been buying cables off of Intamin?!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A few bits...

- LIVERPOOL - 2 children hospitalised when part of a lighting rig came down on them while riding a Twister. Quite a substantial section came down...

funfair-pic.jpg

- An update on a previous Twister incident, an operator has been fined for failing to secure riders and running the ride at excess speed injuring two in 2012. I'm surprised it's even possible to run it that much faster than intended, but apparently it is.

- BARMOUTH, WALES, man hospitalised after being hit by by Caterpillar coaster train. Of all the ways for an adult to be injured at the fair this has to be of the most embarrassing. 

- LAFAYETTE - 4 children injured when seating falls from kidde roundabout. Investigators confirm this was because someone forgot to bolt them on to the ride before it opened...

635682668362522439-IMG-4061.jpeg

- NASHVILLE - a novelty trainload of OAP's injured when the man driving a lawnmower dressed as a train looses control of it and flips it over. I should not find this hilarious. 

- INDIA - man seriously hurt colliding with another on a waterslide. Nothing unusual, but he had to be taken to hospital on a rickshaw due to a lack of ambulances! 

• 2 weeks later...

A few bits that aren't The Smiler...

California - Injuries unknown. B&M inverter Flight Deck at Great America strikes worker, also injuring rider.

California - Injuries unknown. Girl found unconscious after riding revolution at 6FMM. Not known if ride related.

Maine - Injuries unknown. Travelling kiddie coaster falls apart during operation, three children hurt. At the same carnival a woman is hurt trying to get off a swing ride before it stops.

USA - The ride operator in the 2013 Vortex incident pleads guilty to assault with a deadly weapon having bypassed the rides safety system. 

Calafornia - Woman dies falling from free drop platform. Not a ride, but a fairground attraction jumping onto an air pillow. Presumably she missed the pillow.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Sad for the park and enthusiasts sure, not sad for the idiot, Darwin Award nominee right there.

The volume wasn't great on the video, but did I hear he worked in a school? We all laughed with the 'danger of death' signs at Thorpe and Alton (Blackpool has them too), but maybe there is good reason for them, I can't believe people are still that stupid even after millions of years of evolution.

I can't believe people are still that stupid even after millions of years of evolution.

We've broken evolution with do-good-ing!

Not got a lot of sympathy for the guy, just thankful it seems he's been hit by the ride vehicle and not someone on it who he could easily have taken with him.

We gotta be careful to be a little too insensitive, as of course it is sad news, but it's people with a lack of BASIC common sense like this that make H&S go stupid and add tonnes more signs and make fences even higher, and in reality with a nicely themed park ruin the themed experience of the rides.

Gotta feel sorry for the people actually on the ride at the time... But it's evolution through the process of natural selection right!?

Yes this guy made a stupid decision but please remember this guy has a family and friends who have just had a huge hole punched into their lives. 

I know nobody here would climb a fence at a theme park, but we all take risks assuming it'll work out for us! Crossing a road when the lights are red etc. Please try and have a little bit of respect. If your best friend or mother did this, you wouldn't be calling anyone an idiot.

tl;dr... Stay in school and learn to read signs, but have some respect even though you don't know/judge the guy.