Bubbleworks

A simple fountain arch should not be rocket science to keep running, especially when it's probably the only effect Bubbleworks has.

Knowing how they work they are not "simple" and not comparable to a bathroom plumbing job, but probably still very managable for Chessington's tech services. The required engineering to have that huge volume of water sent over guest's heads for days on end is significant so there's no point being flippant about it.

We don't know what the problem is. If there's an engineering problem behind them or the pumps they can't just send a bloke to flick a switch and they start again. (it's not RCT3) The fountains are typically quite reliable and have been working well for decades, but a couple of times recently not so much.

I never claimed to be an engineer, but it's just the latest in a long line of effects to be broken.  Chessington have had this effect for years, and I recall hearing somewhere that they have it serviced every closed season to keep it in working order.  If it was a one-off then that would be different, but let's face it, effect maintenance isn't exactly Chessington's (or actually Merlin parks in general) strong point.

Basically Bubbleworks just needs an extensive overhaul. It's a great ride, but needs some 21st century treatment as the bulk of the ride is 25 years old now [could be said for the majority of the park to an extent].

updated water effects, refreshed/rebuilt scenes, new visual effects such as wall projections and even a reorchestrated version of the soundtrack [iMA anyone].

I had never personally known The water fountains to ever break or go wrong until last season and ever since it has broken several times. How is it they can keep them working for 20 odd years and suddenly they can't on a regular basis? Crazy!

No not crazy at all, I'm sure all well-designed custom machinery will be alright for a long time and then encounter problems. Parts become obsolete, and as far as I know the fountains are awaiting a new part that needs to be custom built.

Trying to keep the same machines going for a number of decades is not possible unless you start replacing parts with newer available technology (which has already happened with the control systems for the BubbleWorks, and remember the Vampire was totally rebuilt on an operational level only 10 years after it opened).

updated water effects, refreshed/rebuilt scenes, new visual effects such as wall projections and even a reorchestrated version of the soundtrack [iMA anyone].

:( No! That's like what George Lucas did to Star Wars in an attempt to 'bring it into the 21st century'. Original BubbleWorks is pretty timeless, they could easily get away with reopening the ride exactly as it was in 1990 and it would be hugely popular again. It doesn't need "high tech" effects shoe horned in for the sake of it.

By all means reinvent the ride into a new Bubbleworks incarnation, but do it in the spirit of the 1990 ride and it will be loved. There are plenty of creative ways of reinventing the ride without losing its original charm.

Why on earth would you replace the music, apart from the currently poor quality playback missing SFX that's the only bit of the ride that's still great. Graham Smart >>>>> IMA score

I had never personally known The water fountains to ever break or go wrong until last season and ever since it has broken several times. How is it they can keep them working for 20 odd years and suddenly they can't on a regular basis? Crazy!

Modern thinking is never make parts that last too long past their warranty window, otherwise you won't make any money from replacement parts...

The original bits were probably made to last, the replacement made to a budget....

Could someone pass me my coat please, it's the one with 'cynical old fart' on the nametag... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

So I was at the village fair the other day with my family, and as I was riding The Twister with my aunty, some scented smoke was released which smell of strawberries and oranges. Anyway, after a few seconds, she said "ooh, that smells of the Bubbleworks", which I thought was quite cool, especially seeing as she hasn't been to Chessington since 1995.

• 2 weeks later...

Went on Bubbleworks today and noticed a few things!

Pros:

• Fountains were working again
  • The missing duster by the foot has finally been replaced with a lovely multicoloured duster

Cons:

• 2 out of the 3 parts of the Duck Coaster were broken.
  • Audio issues at a few points across the ride

So although things have been fixed, other things seem to have broke in the meantime.

• 2 weeks later...

The full music tracks have never been available online, what is usually online is a cassette mix that was probably released commercially in the old shop.

It misses out some of the music and isn't full quality. They currently use shorter edits of this downloadable cassette mix on the ride because the old tracks were lost

I think the 1990 digital sound system is still in use but probably with multiple post hoc alterations. The old system was designed to seemlessly loop and sync each track - as you'll know it doesn't do that anymore!

Where, on YouTube? That's the cassette mix there, the most it misses is of the fairground music. On the ride now it just plays a loop of about 10 seconds (each track should be 1 minute).

The master audio tapes are still around so the full thing isn't lost

It was the same with he Vampire music, for years what was posted online was actually a completely different cassette mix until composer Graham Smart posted the ride version himself. Ironically it is now the cassette mix, downloaded off YouTube, that is used in Vampire now

• Mark9 featured and unfeatured this topic