Thorpe Park 2023

ML27

SLKSTN  d r o p p p e d  a new video last night with updates from inside the park - which is always very interesting to see and I like the fact he's allowed to do so :) 

Swarm station work is looking good, they've even repainted on the back of the console room on the bridge with the yellow and blue "police" squares, for example. From the video, I'm not convinced that they are going to box in those RSJs but we shall see!

Not a mention of DBGTROTD in the video which is very interesting 👀 

The world's first horror themed picnic area is going to be rather big when you can imagine that queue line gone - ideal for a retrosquad ride when a flat ride unexpectedly dies next year.

5 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

From the video, I'm not convinced that they are going to box in those RSJs but we shall see!

Unfortunately not. 

Doesn't look like there are plans to fix the fire effect either. Great to see some TLC regardless, but it would be nice to have all the effects in the area working again as well as it looking fresh.

1_701.png

9 hours ago, MattyMoo said:

The world's first horror themed picnic area is going to be rather big when you can imagine that queue line gone - ideal for a retrosquad ride when a flat ride unexpectedly dies next year.

I know this is a semi joke but someone asked if they had plans to bring in rides similar to retro squad. They replied that they already had a strong lineup of flat rides. 

I mean they do….but they are all of a similar age. I wonder if they are aware that they don’t last forever…

Sort of a joke, but also getting in the mind of a Merlin decision maker 🤠 And yes, Thorpe's line up of flats is great, but as you say they don't last forever - I'm surprised Samurai is still going for one thing, but then it has had a lot of work done to it. I feel they've been quite fortunate with downtime with their other flats to be honest!

On 1/30/2023 at 8:47 AM, MattyMoo said:

Not a mention of DBGTROTD in the video which is very interesting 👀 

I think there's been a few rumours circulating that silkstone & co have something to do with refurbing it.

Sounds like complete utter bogus to me, but then again this is Thorpe Park we're talking about... 👀 

In all seriousness though, Thorpe did reveal in the Passholder group that they had been intentionally messing about with everybody by changing the imagery and toggling it on/off on the app, but they also (probably a freudian slip if anything) said "So, c’mon what are everyone's predictions for our spooky dark ride?! 🤔" so pretty much all but explicitly confirm that something is happening to it.

21 minutes ago, coasterverse said:

I think there's been a few rumours circulating that silkstone & co have something to do with refurbing it.

Sounds like complete utter bogus to me, but then again this is Thorpe Park we're talking about... 👀 

I definitely would not be surprised if this is true after the Silkstone sponsorship Fright Nights we had last year. I do think it could potentially be for the better, however I also feel that Thorpe is losing a lot of its nostalgic charm at the moment. It’s nice that they are getting input from enthusiasts, but it feels as though they are trying to stay up to date with current trends and catering to a mostly younger target audience.

I can’t say I know what the answer would be to bring back the nostalgic charm, but for a start the themed lands definitely made Thorpe feel like more of a complete experience so I am sad to see them go. 

22 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Yep, he is involved somehow or at least knows - he said so in his video. CALL YOURSELF FANS?!?!?!?!??

Video starts at the important bit.

Forgot about this! Really, really interesting stuff. I really do wonder what they're planning to do with that place, because it really does seem pretty linear to me unless you're gutting the entire place out (but I highly doubt they have the budget for something like that!), so whatever they chose to theme it around has to:

1. Explain why you're getting into a victorian train and then entering a tube train
  2. Utilise a tube station when getting off/back on the train again
  3. Follow the same linear on-foot routing

So, again, if they're not planning on gutting the entire building out it's just going to be DBGT 3.0, without Derren Brown in it. 

5 minutes ago, MattyMoo said:

Ding Dong Derren is dead 🥰

Calling it now, this is termed as a brand new attraction...

Without a doubt - but if they've managed to pull off a total retheme in March without any prior announcement or teasing from the park (other than now) I will be majorly impressed. I suppose everybody had their sights fixed on Exodus that they didn't give a second thought to DBGTROTD. Exciting!

1 minute ago, MattyMoo said:

We need a new thread now to discuss the secrets as we are now allowed to speak about them, if the mods could please assist.

Has your account has been hacked by @StevenVig?

I am under the impression that the new attraction will actually be called Not Derren Brown's Ghost Victorian But Actually Tube Carriage Train: Death of the Demon Turned Coughing Person - Venture into the Tunnel Which isn't a Tunnel (Revenge of the Buckwheats Against Project Exombus).* Unfortunately, that name is too long to fit into a thread title, so no new thread or renaming of threads will occur now. 

I look forward to riding NDBGVBATCTDotDTCPVitTWiaTRotBAPE this year.

*The short form of the title, more to be revealed soon!

I’m still not sure, I feel like they are still messing. 

I’m surprised there’s been nothing at all, rumoring this. Duel we got something minor to indicate it was closing and fair enough no one knows what’s going on inside still. 

With Ghost Train, there’s been literally nothing other than ghost train haters wanting it shut and rethemed. 

Difference between this and duel, there won’t be anything physical coming out at all. If it does it will be minor, most of it will be changes to the media on the ride.

Hoping for a decent retheme, if true.

However, when we look back on this in 10 years.  I feel like this retheme will be insignificant 

I hate to be a pessimist but I really do hope there are some substantial changes if they are going to announce this as a new experience.

Part of me thinks they have been working on this for the past few months and it just flew under the radar which is quite exciting.

With the way Merlin are investing in the parks at the moment I just hope Thorpe haven’t got the short straw by just dropping the DB brand and parading it as something entirely new.