Jobs..

Marc

So I didn't get the job, but it was only because the other applicant had experience working behind a cocktail bar whereas I have none. The manager said I was amazing on my trial shift and I am definitely good enough for the job. Obviously they don't want to waste time and money training someone when they can just hire someone with experience already.

I feel a bit down about it, but I'm really happy that I didn't get rejected because I wasn't good enough - I was, it's just unforunately someone was (in their eyes) better. Which is how life works, I suppose.

And now to hand out more CVs...

Jobs to apply for:

Library assistant

Part time sales advisor in the Cotton Traders section of the local garden centre :P

Either 1 or more roles at Smith & Western (gonna phone tomorrow and see if I can apply for more than one role)

Instructor at Go Ape opening in May :D

Trainee zoo keeper at London Zoo

:o

As you can see they get a bit more ambitious towards the end :P I have applied for London Zoo before and didn't hear back but I won't let it stop me trying again. The good thing about applying for a trainee keeper is it's more about experience than qualifications, which goes in my favour. Of course, I'm still aware of how competitive these roles are so I'm not going to assume anything!

There seems to be barely anything around me at the moment. I would happily do a bit of admin work but like I said in my previous post, even they seem to want experience! And I don't know where all the cleaning jobs went! I'm glad I thought about looking on the county council website though and found the library job. Part of me wants a "calmer" job that isn't outdoors like pretty much all of just previous jobs have been, the other half still wants to carry on with jobs like that :P So I'm keeping my options open!

I also really want to try and get volunteer work with the National Autistic Society as that is also an area I have considered a career in. It's a shame the nearest place is Croydon! I could see if there's anything similar (doesn't have to be the NAS) nearer to me though.

London Zoo would be great for volunteering too, but I check the site daily and they never seem to need volunteers. I guess a lot more people are doing it these days.

I really want a part time job, to have my own money I have made from working, but mum says I have to wait till after me GCSE's finish in about 8/9 weeks which I suppose is wise, plus I'm a bit of a recluse so I dont get out often and I'm quite shy, so I'm hoping it will built up my social confidence and will mean I get out more, plus when I start driving this year, I'm gonna need the income! lol. I was thinking of working at Apple (I'm nerdy), Waitrose (cos I have one quite local and I have never once seen a chav in there) or one of the clothes shops at the ST David's shopping centre in Cardiff if I'm desperate. I couldnt bring my self to work at mcdonalds, I don't know why I just can't lol but ye hoping (fingers crossed) to get a job soon to boost me independence too

• 1 month later...

It's not nice when places phone up offering you an interview and you have to tell them you've found employment elsewhere. Awkward is a bit of an understatement...

I had that happen in Disney, I made it clear that I had a job and told them that I had no interest in moving on...

Their fault for being so slow in contacting me...

In SOE news, I passed my 6 month review... Horray! We also have a new Chief Executive, President AND Patron coming in... All change please!

I've recently quit my job after constantly being treated poorly and trying to be forced into doing extra hours and covering shifts for nothing and in general the place was exceptionally poorly run but sadly nothing was clearly going to be done so I made the decision I could not continue to stay there as it was making me that unhappy, however I am now struggling to find new work, I'm hoping to find something in the leisure/fitness industry preferably, can anyone recommend some good job search websites?

http://www.cv-library.co.uk is also a good site - I managed to get an interview at one of the places I applied to through this site (I only applied for 2, lol).

I got my job through my unis career advice website, but I also got interviews at places where I just handed my in CV in person or applied directly through the company website.

Just look EVERYWHERE would be my best advice I guess! Good luck in your search :)

(Ta Ricky for showing me the site.)

I've rfortunate ecently quit my job after constantly being treated poorly and trying to be forced into doing extra hours and covering shifts for nothing and in general the place was exceptionally poorly run but sadly nothing was clearly going to be done so I made the decision I could not continue to stay there as it was making me that unhappy, however I am now struggling to find new work, I'm hoping to find something in the leisure/fitness industry preferably, can anyone recommend some good job search websites?

Aah I know the feeling! I did this last year for the exact same reasons pretty much. It was a tough decision to make but my personal opinion is to put your mental well-being first. To some people it seemed a hasty decision but that was because I kept it quiet; I'd been feeling awful for weeks but said nothing in case it passed and because I knew some would be disappointed. Basically I've always struggled to follow through with things, from hobbies to education, so I think I'd developed a kind of fear/expectation of that disappointed reaction because of experiencing it so much :P Plus there are those that don't understand and tell you to carry on and how loads of people hate their jobs. This is true and I'm sure they say it out of concern, but there is a big difference between a person "hating their job" and being so depressed by it. It got to the point where I'd just feel like crying and had to hold back from doing so; to the point where I was losing my appetite (and it was a physical job) and had this horrible, overwhelming feeling where I wanted nothing more than to be home. Similar to when you few ill at school is a good way to describe that last point! I was basically becoming clinically depressed but antidepressants wouldn't have solved it all, something both me and my GP agreed on. There would have been no point taking them when the root cause of it was still there.

And I'll always remember my grandad saying to me that the most important thing is that you enjoy your job, rather than the money etc. Never a truer word spoken :)

Good luck with your job search! I was fortunate to be able to return to my old job after I quit, however it's only part time. But it's the best job I've ever had :D

Aah I know the feeling! I did this last year for the exact same reasons pretty much. It was a tough decision to make but my personal opinion is to put your mental well-being first. To some people it seemed a hasty decision but that was because I kept it quiet; I'd been feeling awful for weeks but said nothing in case it passed and because I knew some would be disappointed. Basically I've always struggled to follow through with things, from hobbies to education, so I think I'd developed a kind of fear/expectation of that disappointed reaction because of experiencing it so much :P Plus there are those that don't understand and tell you to carry on and how loads of people hate their jobs. This is true and I'm sure they say it out of concern, but there is a big difference between a person "hating their job" and being so depressed by it. It got to the point where I'd just feel like crying and had to hold back from doing so; to the point where I was losing my appetite (and it was a physical job) and had this horrible, overwhelming feeling where I wanted nothing more than to be home. Similar to when you few ill at school is a good way to describe that last point! I was basically becoming clinically depressed but antidepressants wouldn't have solved it all, something both me and my GP agreed on. There would have been no point taking them when the root cause of it was still there.

And I'll always remember my grandad saying to me that the most important thing is that you enjoy your job, rather than the money etc. Never a truer word spoken :)

Good luck with your job search! I was fortunate to be able to return to my old job after I quit, however it's only part time. But it's the best job I've ever had :D

I'm sorry to hear that you have had a similar experience, I totally understand how you feel and felt exactly the same, I dreaded going to work, I didn't want to be there, when I came home I constantly complained/was upset about my time spent there and then there's how my manager emails, texts and calls about work and covering him, you literally couldn't get away from the place even when you weren't working.

I'm learning to drive and trying to do it as quick as I can so that this will aid in my job search, but even then it still seems frutile, I email dozens of gyms and centres with no response!