Stealth

Dan_Rush

Not sure if this has been asked for a while. It's probably been a couple of years since I was last at TP and been on Stealth but do rollbacks happen still? I know years ago they happened fairly often but since upping the launch from 70-80mph do they still happen occasionally?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well the launch was never increased in raw speed, it's always been 80mph, all that changed was the timing of the launch to make it under 2 seconds. It had a day last season where it rolled back when it had a full train as they tried filling it up 4 more seats at a time and as it hit 20 people it rolled back. Other than that it just doesn't do it any more and nothing seemed to change. I think maybe tweaked the trains or power in some way so it's more consistent. As the computer logs all the launch data and works out how much is needed etc, it's very clever and all that data gets sent back to Intamin.

Who's been on a rollback before?

I have... it ws cold, windy and raining... After you get over the initial "rollback" excitement, it's actually not that fun... Being winched in to the station and relaunched is a bit dull and the actual event its-self doesn't have much force to it... just kinda stops and goes backwards quite gently.. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Stealth certainly doesn't like the extreme heat....had several "time outs" today, engineers are convinced that it's the heat and as it was running two trains, I think that's more the launch than the trains. 

One pigeon met it's maker today, luckily hitting the framework of the train and not the riders.

Cup challenge made for interesting entertainment in the heat, luckily for me, didn't get too much of the contents, some got a fair soaking, additional water provided from hosepipe at times, with no objections from riders.

Stealth finally gave up the ghost near to 4p.m. so I had to use the provided fast track ticket before I left the park.

Still surprising influx of new staff.

Interesting comment from one girl "glad I'm not old, I can't imagine keeping my teeth in on that!"

Regarding rollbacks - I think I would possibly soil myself if I ever had one! I'm petrified of heights and the thought of the train teetering for a bit scares me a tad - hence why I like to sit at the back. I know the chances of a rollback these days are slim but in my mind if I sit near the back and a roll back happens, it is less far to travel!

Oh my goodness- poor pigeon getting hit by the train! Good that it didn't hit a person as I would imagine face + bird + 80mph would hurt.....a lot!

So, Planenut - how many rides on Stealth did you get done?

Regarding rollbacks - I think I would possibly soil myself if I ever had one! I'm petrified of heights and the thought of the train teetering for a bit scares me a tad - hence why I like to sit at the back. I know the chances of a rollback these days are slim but in my mind if I sit near the back and a roll back happens, it is less far to travel!

Oh my goodness- poor pigeon getting hit by the train! Good that it didn't hit a person as I would imagine face + bird + 80mph would hurt.....a lot!

So, Planenut - how many rides on Stealth did you get done?

Hi Han, not sure how many as I don't really count if the day is going well, but my count of launch break downs was a personal record, shame. I think the only one not claiming a right to the compensatory fast track was the pigeon.

Well, it is the summer after all, lots of newbies join now...

I'll reword it then, "more newbies than in my previous experience at this time of year".

Rollbacks I don't want as that would totally waste at least twenty minutes of ride time, and for what?

Getting stuck on the top hat I think would be great; staff members I've spoken to say it's only happened once?    I'd love it, then to try to get everybody rockin in sync to try to shift it, and at least you'd get more than a half second view around. Certainly wouldn't want it twice, again wasting ride time.

My son has a terrible habit of pulling down on his restraint durng launch, tightening them up so much that by the time we got back to the station, he can't move at all, I dread to think what would happen circulation-wise if we ever got stuck at the top.

Getting caught at the top, the procedure is rock back and forth and hope it goes either way.

A bit more to it than that. Due to those good old Laws of Relativity, there would have to be some co-ordinated manipulation, the intention to cause more momentum in one direction, preferably in the normal ride direction. The main problem not being this intention, but get everybody's attention and co-operation; actually, we could be up there a long time.