Chessington General Discussion

Ash

Chessington has long suffered with disproportionately long queues for mediocre attractions.  According to queue-times.com there are currently 5 rides with a queue of an hour or more: Kobra, Fury, Rattlesnake, Bubbleworks and Zufari, with a further 7 queues between 45 and 60 minutes.  Fury aside, it's hard to justify waiting more than about 30 minutes for any of these rides.

The loss of vampire isn't helping, but the underlying issues have been apparent for some time - they just don't have enough high capacity rides for the number of guests they get.

Alas, Chessington not only suffer from low capacity rides, but also poor operations.

Just be thankful you weren't there on last May bank holiday. I was, and it was two hours for Vampire, Fury, Tomb, Falls, Zufari and Kobra. Tuk Tuk also hit 100mins. Which was insane.

100 minutes for Dodgems?!  :o

100 minutes for Dodgems?!  :o

Unfortunately, that's Chessington throughputs for you.

Most of its rides struggle to get good throughputs with only falls & Tombs (both in a terrible state) capable of getting over 1000 (Vampire used too on a day & so did Bucaneer).

I'm sure Truckers has reached 2 hours before

LEGOLAND's rides do marginally better on throughputs as Vikings,Atlantis & Jolly a Rocker can get over 1000 plus Dragon can get 900 on a good day plus boating & driving schools have had a capacity upgrade.

Tomb Blaster can get 500 when operated well on 4 trains, on 5 about 600/700 although it never uses 5 anymore. With Dragon Falls staff dont tend to fill the boats so its rare that it gets anything over 700.

500 for Tomb?  Is that it?  Those vehicle must seat a lot so surely four should have a much higher throughput than that?

On 4 trains the ride dispatches roughly every 3 minutes from what I can work out. Each train takes 30 people, it's rare that the train will be filled though due to the seating arrangement. That means roughly 20 trains are sent an hour without hold ups, with on average 25 seats filled a train. That gives you a throughput of around 500 an hour.

I was at Chessington on Sunday, and the park was absolutely rammed!

The overflow car-park (on the grass at the Land of the Dragons side) was completely full - The front car park was closed as it was also full.

I genuinely cannot remember seeing Chessington that busy in ages.

The queue for the pizza/pasta buffet in Market Square was almost to the Adventurers Services building at lunchtime.  Ridiculous!

Vampire was closed, but they were testing.  We saw the train go round with a member of staff sitting in the front seat on a couple of occasions whilst waiting for Bubbleworks.  We hoped they may spring a surprise and open in, but nope.  :(

On Bubbleworks, it was finally closed all winter, so I thought they may have given it some TLC.  Alas, I didn't notice anything different at all in there.  If there have been improvements, please could someone let me know where?

Ride times were very long for everything.  Dragon's Fury was 80 minutes with the queue starting just inside the entrance when we got there!

Also, does anyone know what they are planning for the area they used for Winters Tail?  The wooden shacks and Christmas Trees are still there, but the area is closed off and there is nothing happening!  Surely they are not going to just leave it like that until next Christmas?  I hoped they would have some sort of Easter activity for the Children - Maybe an Easter hunt like LEGOLAND were doing, but nothing!!

I hoped they would have some sort of Easter activity for the Children - Maybe an Easter hunt like LEGOLAND were doing, but nothing!!

That's the sort of thing they should be doing to ease the queues when it's so busy.

EDIT:  Just had a look at their Tripadvisor, customer satisfaction at it's finest!  :lol:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g580409-d216483-Reviews-Chessington_World_of_Adventures-Chessington_Surrey_England.html

That's the sort of thing they should be doing to ease the queues when it's so busy.

Yep, would be very easy to manage and run, even if it were an arts and crafts area, like they do at LEGOLAND around Halloween!

As you say, on busy days, it would have helped a bit with the queues.   But no, the whole are is closed off and just sitting there waiting for next Christmas it seems!

Can't blame them tbh.

We went on the last day of my sons term, he had early closure, so the place was empty and all the rides walk on (this was a Thursday), a friend went on the following Monday (against my advise) and said they would never be returning, they waited nearly 2 hours to get on the Dragons ride (the rollercoaster that has the spinning cars) and over the course of the entire day only got on 3 rides.

I feel sorry for the staff, it's not their fault Merlin is more interested in profit than customer satisfaction.

Can't blame them tbh.

We went on the last day of my sons term, he had early closure, so the place was empty and all the rides walk on (this was a Thursday), a friend went on the following Monday (against my advise) and said they would never be returning, they waited nearly 2 hours to get on the Dragons ride (the rollercoaster that has the spinning cars) and over the course of the entire day only got on 3 rides.

I feel sorry for the staff, it's not their fault Merlin is more interested in profit than customer satisfaction.

• Mattgwise changed the title to Chessington General Discussion