Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

I wouldn't turn out for half those acts, let alone purposefully purchase tickets. Why bother, Alton?

To be fair to them, 8 bands and a day at the park (although it will be packed solid) for £55 is great value for money...

I assume these bands are popular with the majority as well, or at least bands that will bring people in for headlining, and then the rest can get out there more...

I wouldn't go (indeed, seems my genre of music will never be accepted due to connotations of popularity) but it'll be a success...

I personally do not like any of the line-up BUT alot of people I know & on Facebook/Twitter do!

I think Alton Towers Live will be a big hit this year because most of the line up have been number one hits for the past year... alot of people know who they are! (Its even currently the top trend in the UK on Twitter!) but of course they can't please everyone, so they stuck to mainstream artists which is fair enough!

But I LOVE The Smiler image on that promo for Alton Towers Live.

Alton Towers Live is a family event. It is your concert equivalent of the target market of a ride such as Sonic Spinball, or Wild Asia.

I am a primary school teacher - and this line up is exactly what will get younger guests keen to come to Alton Towers.

I may even attend just for the giggles.

The best part of this is that unlike the event in 2011, this is an all day/evening thing with the gig in the darkness. Alton is an amazing setting for such a show!

Although it is clearly not aimed at me I'd say that is an excellent line up for those it is for. If you take out Little Mix and UnionJ (I have no idea who they are, Xfactor is it?), I'd say they are the more credible end of teen pop music.

And if this an evening thing as Astro says then I hope it is the start of something regular and varied. That is how you do a concert. If they want to aim one at an older crowd at some point I vote for Madness.

I thought that was where little mix came from, but have never even heard of union j before now. Olly Murs is a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine tbh.

The only problem I have with these things is how insanely busy it can make the park, for that reason I'm unlikely to ever go to one unless it is someone I really wait to see. Not a fan of busy parks.

I used to like the X Factor but it has turned sour the last few years (after Cheryl buggered off). Last year I went to watch the live quarter final show after not watching any of the series. When we walked in to the studio, Olly Murs was there practcising for the Xtra Factor.

What a geezer he is though. More successful than Joe McElderry, Olly should've won.

Just going through Towers website seeing if they had released opening times yet (which they haven't) and I noticed a change in the ERT line up.

• Sharkbait Reef by SEA LIFE
  • TH13TEEN
  • Hex
  • Heave Ho
  • Marauders Mayhem
  • Nemesis
  • Runaway Mine Train

So Thirteen seems to have replaced Rita in the long term (not complaining, it's a much better ride) but the big change is Oblivion is no longer on the list. Whilst this doesn't surprise me as it will be easier for the staff to hold people at the top of X Sector it is a shame. But in all honesty it doesn't matter because Nemesis is still available :P

I swear Air used to be. Back in 2004/2005 or so, in fact I know it is because the first time I went to Towers with my AP, I rode Air and Nemesis because of it.

That list looks a little bare compared to what it used to be. There's no Duel either. I can see the logic of keeping Oblivion and X Sector of the list as the majority will just wait for The Smiler.

It may have been opened on individual dates to cover for rides, unless the valley only ERT existed when air was around. Otherwise it hasn't been opened as it has issues.

Thirteens a weird one to have open, as it needs a minimum of 18 people per train for them to use it. So a lot of waiting around at the beginning of the day.

Duel was removed because it never opened on time, they struggle to get it open at 10 nowadays. Completely agree it's very bare though.

Back when ERT was mainly for hotel guests it used to be Air and Nemesis only, accessed via the woodland walk. The park opened at 9.30 to day guests with rides opening at 10, but anyone who wanted to ride Air and Nemesis before 10 was allowed to regardless of whether or not they were entitled to ERT. IIRC it stayed that way until around 2006/7 as I remember heading to FV first rather than wait for Rita to open on at least one occasion.

As for 2013, it seems they're still going for a list of rides that offers them the most convenience rather than what would be best for guests. Only 2 major coasters, at opposite sides of the park, and the ones that tend to have the shorter queue in their respective areas. Being able to get the likes of Air, Rita and Spinball out of the way early would be far more useful in terms of time saved later on. Alternatively, opening rides that are a bit closer together would mean you wouldn't feel like you're wasting your ERT walking all round the park.

Wasting ERT on riding Nemesis?

Nah...

I see what you mean, but it's actually better the way it's done now (aside from letting in the riff-raff before 10) as it spreads ERT people around a bit rather than just have everyone in one particular area (ok, when Smiler opens, this won't happen but the principle is there)...

Air and Rita always seem to have issues, hence the lack of them being on ERT... Spinball also had a few issues a couple of times...