Alton Towers General Discussion

themeparkmad

God, it's too difficult not to add into this discussion.

The toilets are a passion of mine (no, not like that). But seeing as the overwhelming majority of people judge a place on the toilets, it's surprising they haven't done anything to improve these or renovate them.

They're now the only merlin group not to have spruced up their toilets in the past 3 or so years. Infact, they aint been touched for 20yrs or more. Bout bloody time they updated them!

As for toilets on park.. skyride. They're small, but they're warm and always have hot water. Driers need to be better though. The toilets in communal areas of both hotels are brilliant though!

Toilets might be seen as a joke on forums, but you know - they really, really matter. If somewhere has clean toilets - the reputation goes up. Check out Wetherspoons, for example. Even their most old and grottiest pubs have nice loos!

Hopefully the X Sector toilets are being modernised for March - as toilets at AT generally are very, very old.

Toilets.... this is one of the things I have been in contact with Guest Services about often as I need to use the toilet the often:

In Summary - Alton = Good apart from the car park end of the monorail station

Thorpe = Diabolical

My reason for this:

Alton Monoirail toilets, always dirty, blocked and un-clean, I think they clean them after guests start arriving for the day, so you have the previous days dirty, mess there if you get there early like me.

Towers street, love the designs on the doors

Everywhere else is clean, tidy and most of all functional and always see staff in duty cleaning them

Where as Thorpe: Those stupid sinks they have, never give you enough water to fully wash your hands, often the water is just a dribble and you have no choice of hot or cold.

The hand dryers don't work correctly, they either fail to work, or switch off 2 seconds after putting your hands under them (reported many times and no action)

And every time and it is EVERY time I try to use a toilet, I have to wipe piss off the seat from previous guests who don't have the decency to lift the seat up. There was also that one time there was no toilet facilities at all in the entire park.

Plus I dislike the way the Dome toilets sound like a nightclub.

Now Chessington, most of their toilets are by far the best, clean, very modern and functional, this should be the template Merlin should be using for all their facilities.

Alton Monoirail toilets, always dirty, blocked and un-clean, I think they clean them after guests start arriving for the day, so you have the previous days dirty, mess there if you get there early like me.

Agreed there! Now I haven't used these toilets in a several years, but I remember there always being muddy footprints, grime and dead leaves everywhere. A good first impression is crucial.

You know it's closed season when....

See - the mickey taking of 'toilet topics' annoys me too :P - because they are, as I have said previously - one of the MAIN THINGS that matter to guests.

BigBobJones - I don't accept some of your arguments re Alton toilets compared to Thorpe's.

Yes, there are always cleaners in the toilets at Alton - and in that sense, they're usually OK. But - they're generally very outdated in design and as for the water at Thorpe dribbling out of the taps - have you ever actually tried to get hot water at Alton Towers? Upon pressing the hot water, you're lucky if you get more than 2 seconds of water before having to press it again. And even then, it is often cold.

All the park toilets at Alton Towers are very old, none of them have been updated in at least 15 years.

Are they revamping the toilets at the top of X sector as part of the construction at all? I say this as I read somewhere that one of Smilers supports is going to be driven through the roof.

Seems that everytime I've used the toilets at Alton Towers theres a cleaner inside or has just finished which is great to see. That said I'd never want to use a cubicle, I think a good portion of the GP need to go back and try potty training again...not to mention the lack of respect for the facilities provided.

See - the mickey taking of 'toilet topics' annoys me too :P - because they are, as I have said previously - one of the MAIN THINGS that matter to guests.

BigBobJones - I don't accept some of your arguments re Alton toilets compared to Thorpe's.

Yes, there are always cleaners in the toilets at Alton - and in that sense, they're usually OK. But - they're generally very outdated in design and as for the water at Thorpe dribbling out of the taps - have you ever actually tried to get hot water at Alton Towers? Upon pressing the hot water, you're lucky if you get more than 2 seconds of water before having to press it again. And even then, it is often cold.

All the park toilets at Alton Towers are very old, none of them have been updated in at least 15 years.

Well I am happy to do a video diary this year to justify my opinion.

For me it is not the age of the toilets, its the fact they are clean, functional and you can actually wash your hands with water and dry them. I can do this at all parks, but not Thorpe.

The toilets at Alton Towers are clean and that's what matters, regardless of when they were last refurbished. They may not the be the most modern, granted, but I've never had a problem with them.

Chessington's are the best out of the parks, they've really improved them these last few years. And as for Thorpe's, well it's just fun trying to watch people trying to figure out how to make the taps work!

"The pedal, try the foot pedal!"

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently they have concerts again this year...

http://www.towersstreet.com/news/2013/2013-concert-confirmed/

Ticketing website ‘gettothefront’ have announced
that a concert is to return to the resort this year after a one season
absence. The concert, which is set to take place on Saturday 6th of July
features:

• Olly Murs
  • Rizzle Kicks
  • Labyrinth
  • Little Mix
  • James Arthur
  • Connor Maynard
  • Stoosh
  • Union J

Tickets go on-sale Friday

This is the first concert at Alton Towers since 2011 when both Black
Eyed Peas and Alton Towers Live (featuring McFly) performed at the park.
These concerts followed on from the incredibly successful P!nk concert
in 2010, but failed to sell as well as the 2010 event. Concerts at the
park did not feature in 2012.

Many thanks to our eagled eyed member Voke for this news.

What an AMAZING line up of acts................................................. :ph34r: