Best dark ride

Sam P

I liked Sub Terra at first but I do find it a ride of increasingly diminishing returns. For a start, it really bothers me that immersive acting equals staff shouting at you for no particular reason. We're members of the public (the video makes that clear) so why are the Phlanax staff treating us like Soldiers. Secondly, the ending maze really is unnecessary. I know some fan sites think it improves the attraction but I find it really irrelevant and works against what has gone on before. Egg hatches so the staff lose their minds? I know people are drawn to Nemesis but they don't attack each other.

Jeez. ;)

I agree with you about the maze ending; it does nothing for the attraction in my opinion. Just some more loud noises and maybe an air blast would have been more suited.

However, I think the staff shouting works. Yes, the videos say we're being welcomed into the facility and stuff, and we're the public. The way I see it though, as soon as you enter the facility, there's a change in atmosphere, and from the offset, you can tell something is not quite right. We've been welcomed in here, but everyone is so angry - it makes you feel uneasy. It's then here where it makes me think of an over the top horror film; staff gone crazy with fear or radioactive poisoning or something.

It sounds a bit silly and stupid, yes, but that's what makes me enjoy that much more!

Hex for me is definitely the best uk dark ride.

The queue line build up, theming, surroundings, story, narration, effects and the brilliant sound track make for a remarkable attraction and one of the few experiences at a Merlin park that is almost on a Disney standard.

That said, I've not been to a Disney park yet ( shock :o) which is something I'm desperate to achieve in the near future as the rides there look far superior to the uk in theming, story, experience and up keep (bar a selected few).

Honourable uk dark ride mentions,

X, love the lights sequence, it feels like a night club themed coaster

Spirit Of London, love the story telling/ theming of the ride. Feels like one of those brilliant Tussaud's and Wardley dark rides

Still haven't done Duel or Sub Terra, plus I am still yet to visit Blackpolol where a good chunk of uk dark rides are housed including Valhalla, which I've heard a lot of good things of. My opinion could change if/when I do these rides.

It's a shame the uk hasn't seen many dark rides built in the last 10 years, as considering the bad weather and that most parks have noise/sound restrictions and/or lack of space, these attractiones would be brilliant for our parks and I think chessie and Thorpe at least could do with a decent dark ride style attraction,. I'd rather see a major dark ride than a coaster at Thorpe tbh.

Storm surge dark ride/

Charlie and the chocolate factory (bring back toy land tours)

My favourite would be Haunted Mansion at MK, it's one of my all time favourite rides, but Spiderman at IoA is by far the best when it comes to being an exciting, action packed experience in my opinion. In the UK, my favourite would probably be Hex or Valhalla, but there is definitely a serious lack of decent dark rides in the UK.

• 1 year later...

One year later:

Tower Of Terror ( Paris version) is now officially my favourite dark ride. It is absolute perfection from the creepy eiry lift workers, dusted foyer (which is executed with great level) and the amazing Pre show and ride itself. I won't spoil too much but would suggest too any who hasn't ridden it yet, get down to DLP and get on Tower Of Terror.

You'll be eating your words once you ride Spiderman! ;)

(This comes from someone who's ridden Spiderman but not Tower Of Terror. What a hypocrite. :lol:)

I've ridden both and Spiderman still wins it for me! (Tower of Terror is still superb though! They're just both very different rides and I prefer Spiderman)

Or get to Walt Disney World for the enhanced edition!

:)

I prefer the Paris version. They seem to have perfected the drop sequencing there, giving much more weightlessness than either of the American incarnations.

But yeah, Spiderman is number for me. At least until WC16 opens...

^ California's version has the exact same drop sequence

But yes I agree Florida can be hit and miss

Certainly doesn't feel that way to me. Even if the sequences are the same the speeds must be slightly different? I get loads more weightless times on Paris, it's the way it decelerates from the fast ascent just a touch harder than my body naturally would, flowing into a decent which is a fraction quicker than gravity taking me alone combined that gives a sustained feeling of weightlessness like none of the others have.

Certainly doesn't feel that way to me. Even if the sequences are the same the speeds must be slightly different? I get loads more weightless times on Paris, it's the way it decelerates from the fast ascent just a touch harder than my body naturally would, flowing into a decent which is a fraction quicker than gravity taking me alone combined that gives a sustained feeling of weightlessness like none of the others have.

All Towers fall faster than gravity. Only potential difference between Paris and California is if you got a different shaft as they have very minor changes.

All Towers fall faster than gravity. 

I know, but it's how ToT uses that which sets it apart.

They may be the same design, running the same pattern, but no to things are ever truly identical and they certainly don't feel the same. Paris gives a (amazing) sustained feeling of weightlessness which the others don't. 

• 2 months later...

Haunted Mansion at Disneyland (the original!!!) ive never been on it but it looks AMAZING!!! I just wish Disney would build a park over here so I could ride it(California is toooooo far away!) although I did have a dream once that the new ride for 2016 at Thorpe was a carbon copy of HM but with more of a Tropical theme to fit in with the surrounding area (why can't that happen :(