Hex

Theme Park bloke

Hex is a fantastic ride - on of my favourites at Alton Towers!As we know, Hex came about during the restoration of the towers. The bookcase was removed to reveal a doorway behind it, after unbricking it, the secret vault with the branch of the oak tree was stored in there.I'm a little confused - was this bookcase in the Octagon, and if so, was it where the steps are where you go up to the ride? e.g "behind" the central column of the Octagon when moving forward through Hex.Also, is that the branch tree in the middle of the Hex ride? I touched it briefly as we left. It felt real. It looks a little dusty yet I'm sure it's been treated to preserve it for the ride, after nearly 200 years of being locked away.Also: I have taken some photos of the chained oak tree in the last few days, these will be posted in the Chained Oak Tree topic sometime this weekend.

Basically from what I understand, the door in the octagon above and to the right of the door you go through to get to the Vault is where the bookcase lead to.I'm pretty sure that's it or very near to it ;)However it is quite possible you missed a few effects which make everything clear as from other people and personal experience, Hex has not been very well maintained this year with effects frequently not working. A new pre-show was also trialled and I don't know if it is still, which apparently was terrible and almost ruined the whole ride. In my opinion if everything is working, the best dark ride in the UK, If only there were more of them.Just ride The Amazing Adventures of Superman at IOA, better than anything else, coasters included.

I have to say this ride is very good - possibly one of my favorites at Alton Towers.The theming and music is top notch, and the story works so well. Made me want to visit the tree afterwards which my girlfriend and I did when we went for a walk around Alton. The tree is very eerie and chilling, my girlfriend didn't like it. ST

I really like Hex!The music and theming are great!Each scene seems to be throughly thought out!My favourite part has to be the last part of the attraction where you feel like you are going upside down! :blink:I usually get shivers when I go into Hex, and I hope it is the same on my next visit!I love the story of the attraction, and I look forard to riding Hex on my next visit to Alton Towers! :blink:

I don't like Hex at all, I find it incredibly boring. The music is good, but I have it at home, so don't feel the need to go in it. I refuse to go in it any more. I always go on Oblivion instead! :blink:

What's not to like? The theming is second to none, the ride is admittedly family orientated but still thrilling and the best flat ride at the park in my opinion.

I love Hex but I hate riding it. I just hate riding it with loads of other people (and as a ride that takes a lot of people it's rather hard not to ride with 79 other people) because they tend to ruin the story building parts, particularly in the first and second room.I want to be engaged with the story and I can't so given the choice, I normally don't bother going on it.

No you wouldnt - you have a lap bar. How is it an illusion anywya?

The lap bar doesn't go down far enough for it to hold you in if you were upside down.The room around spins which makes you feel like you are going upside down, there is a good video on youtube somewhere of the room spinning from the outside.EDIT : Found the video

I love Hex but I hate riding it. I just hate riding it with loads of other people (and as a ride that takes a lot of people it's rather hard not to ride with 79 other people) because they tend to ruin the story building parts, particularly in the first and second room.I want to be engaged with the story and I can't so given the choice, I normally don't bother going on it.

Yeah, that's the exact reason that, at 10AM, whilst others head for Nemesis, Air, Rita, Oblivion, I go straight to Hex, as it is the one ride that is improved is you ride alone. :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

The thing I noticed about Hex is that it's one of the very few rides that actually smells like it's supposed to. The octagon room smells of castle, and the bit behind the bookcase smells of secret passage, unlike a lot of other indoor rides that smell mostly of vomit. I presume that this is because it's actually in the castle, rather than a mock up, but it's still pretty cool that it's lasted.