PR / Marketing

Ryan

Each year Thorpe Park comes up with many ridiculously silly and entertaining marketing stunts. Some memorable stunts that come to mind:

• 'Say No to Bo'
  • 'Saw: The Ride sick collector'
  • 'Priest blessing Stealth'
  • 'Urine collection for Saw Alive'
  • 'The girl who married Stealth'
  • 'Ouiji board in Saw: The Ride'
We have also been very lucky to receive some beautiful promotional art, like this new picture here found on Thorpe Park Official's Facebook page: http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs472.ash1/25891_415324725866_27217550866_5706700_3481963_n.jpgDiscuss those marketing campaigns that really do make us wonder who is behind the Marketing department these days, those crazy yet brilliant people!

That artwork on thorpes facebook is fantastic, best bit of artwork from a theme park in ages IMHO, very impressed. Regarding the marketing stunts, usually there all pretty good, IMO the best for me was the Say No To BO, for it to be the most read story on the BBC is one hell of an achievement, it got people talking (not only on coaster forums!) and the park hit capacity the next day, doing pretty much exactly what its meant to do.

Whats wrong with Tidal Wave? It's a great ride and the size of the wave is memorable. Visually, it's very interesting. :angry:

I can't disagree with you in any way. There is nothing wrong with Tidal Wave. However, when it comes to some things (I saw a keyring with the park logo, 4 major coaster logos and Tidal Wave's logo on it), it confuses me a bit. They have all these other rides that are much popular all season round and they go for something like Tidal Wave. Though, as you say, it is very interesting and memorable visually, so that is probably the reason as to why..

I can't disagree with you in any way. There is nothing wrong with Tidal Wave. However, when it comes to some things (I saw a keyring with the park logo, 4 major coaster logos and Tidal Wave's logo on it), it confuses me a bit. They have all these other rides that are much popular all season round and they go for something like Tidal Wave. Though, as you say, it is very interesting and memorable visually, so that is probably the reason as to why..

You have answered your own question there.Tidal Wave is, in a sense, and icon ride internally. In that it is one ride that you will not only remember visually, but remember as a rider too.

As promised, here's my say.Firstly, marketing campaigns.

• 'Say No to Bo'
  • 'Saw: The Ride sick collector'
  • 'Priest blessing Stealth'
  • 'Urine collection for Saw Alive'
  • 'The girl who married Stealth'
  • 'Ouiji board in Saw: The Ride'
All of those (bar the Priest blessing Stealth) were so ridiculous and stupid it was unbelievable! I know the park needs to get themselves noticed, but surely they could be creative enough to do something slightly cleverer. Okay, the ouiji board was slightly better, as it was an attempt to make a back story for FN, but it failed miserably. Even if they ignored the ouiji board and said that they think Saw - The Ride is haunted and the ghostly occurrences are spreading, I'd have been happy. Their idea was good, but the execution was poor. The Priest one was clever - they did it after worries of a Slammer repeat. And, just to be fair, recently, AT have done the same, banning speedos anyone? However, their promotional art, posters, etc. are amazing! They are always well thought out and really good. At times, they've let themselves down with the adverts, but ah well. However, the promo art and posters are extraordinary and always make me think Wow. Just a shame the rides don't always live up to amazing standard of the poster.

As promised, here's my say.Firstly, marketing campaigns. All of those (bar the Priest blessing Stealth) were so ridiculous and stupid it was unbelievable! I know the park needs to get themselves noticed, but surely they could be creative enough to do something slightly cleverer. Okay, the ouiji board was slightly better, as it was an attempt to make a back story for FN, but it failed miserably. Even if they ignored the ouiji board and said that they think Saw - The Ride is haunted and the ghostly occurrences are spreading, I'd have been happy. Their idea was good, but the execution was poor. The Priest one was clever - they did it after worries of a Slammer repeat. And, just to be fair, recently, AT have done the same, banning speedos anyone?

Out of interest, what do you base "Failed miserably" on? The fact the marketing stunts get so much discussion to me says there doing exactly what there meant to, fanboys have very different opinions to that of the GP

Out of interest, what do you base "Failed miserably" on?

It got into the papers and it advertised FN. There it succeeded. I'm not questioning that. But it failed because it was ridiculous! Friends at school who had heard about it said how it was silly and obviously untrue. People in the queue line over FN were questioning how it was haunted. It didn't add to the event of FN in any way and was just a way of getting it in the papers - like the other campaigns mentioned. I'm saying it failed at making a back story - not at advertising.

The fact the marketing stunts get so much discussion to me says there doing exactly what there meant to, fanboys have very different opinions to that of the GP

I would disagree that fanboys and the GP have that different of an opinion. Yes, we see things differently and fanboys do tend to nit pick at times. However, from my experiences with the GP, they tend to be able to see some of the marketing as a bunch of rubbish. I don't disagree that they stunts do their job, but I just think they could go about it in a slightly less ridiculous way.

Friends at school who had heard about it said how it was silly and obviously untrue. People in the queue line over FN were questioning how it was haunted.

But that was the whole point, to get the park noticed and to get people talking.You talking about it now, means that they're still working! :angry:

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

SILENCE IS GOLDEN AT THORPE PARK. We are throwing down the gauntlet to fearless thrill seekers by daring them to brave the Park's most extreme rides - without making a single sound! For one day only, the Park will be shrouded in silence as brave visitors attempt to tackle the fastest, most stomach-churning rides without screaming. If you visit the Park today, please take part and let us know how you get on. Ssshhh!

From the official Facebook Page.

Dont forget the scary story of the "headless monk" telling the builders they weren't allowed to build storm surge ;) kind of a marketing scheme imo

Wish they had listened to it... [/obvious joke]Yeah, it's a very random one, and not exactly challenging and on a really random dead day... Why not do it to drum up interest for the actual summer season?

• 1 month later...