Disneyland Paris

James6

Did anyone like Captain EO? It was really, REALLY awful I thought...

The only positive thing about it was that involved being inside and not being snowed on...

There is a handful of us - and literally a handful with how quiet the theatre was before it closed but there are rumours it'll be open again for a month in September :D Whoopee

Reasons I liked It: It's Cheesy, It's Corny, It wasn't serious, Some good Jacko songs and some silly side line characters which made you lost for words at how bad some of them were (but in a good way) Plus it had major nostalgia attached to it for me as it was the first 3D film I had ever seen 18 years ago and remember being terrified by the spider who turned into a beautiful woman (not that I took much notice of her beauty as a 6/7 year old) Basically my cup of tea :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://youtu.be/97rnUqQpRnc

Impossible to tell from a pov, I know, but doesn't look great. Big screens in largely empty rooms not blending into the set that there is, very odd. The floor especially, how hard would that have been to match up, either physically or with some lighting/projection?

The baskwards chase scene looks good though.

• 1 month later...

Note: For some reason I am unable to post photos or even past in links to my photos...I'll try and work it out.

I rode Ratatouille twice last week and I have to say I was very impressed. I loved the way that the ride vehicles move, it really makes you feel like you're on a rat when they move in different directions and reform in another order.

The 1st scene is the only one where you really notice the floor, but it is kind of worth it because of the way the effect on entering the room is great. Lots of sights and smells too throughout the ride. You also end up with a view of the restaurant which looks very nicely themed!

Queues were long for both days I was there. (It only opened at 1pm on the first day, perhaps for filming because they had planters blocking the way.) On the 2nd day the queue on arrival at the park at 9:30am was all the way back to the entrance of the park from the initial 'studio' building. (Along the back path and then down the centre of the park). However there was a cast member giving out fast passes if you showed your park tickets! That meant we didn't have to queue at ALL. When we returned for our fastpass slot (10:40) the queue was basically covering the whole area and up out towards Tower.

Overall though I think this is a great addition to the park.

My friend who worked there last summer said they haven't made a profit in years

I find it amazing yet ironic that the most visited/ popular themepark in Europe is the most in debt.

Hopefully one day they'll finally remove the debt however that day still seems a long way off, even if Ratatouille is massive success.

• 1 month later...

Early Ratatouille thoughts

Really like it. It isn't perfect and has issues with the illusion of the screens being sometimes ruined by the floor in front of you being too visible, and it could have been an almost perfect attraction if it wasn't for it. A shame for lost extra potential I guess, but it's still a (MUCH-needed) very fun and very re-rideable E-Ticket attraction for Studios and I seem to enjoy it more with every ride. The whole area is gorgeous, the music and presentation of the ride is great and the trackless ride system is a-maaazing. Rat cars are so cute! So on the whole - flawed but still fab in my opinion.

Bistroz Chez Remy is lovely (if a bit expensive) too, menu's very limited but the food itself was really nice and there's a good atmosphere in there.

• 4 weeks later...

Totally passed me by yesterday, but dlrp seems to be all sorts of knackered and doing things financially which I don't understand (but seem akin to taking out a few billion euro loan from Wonga) to try and fix it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29503360

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04kf7v4 from exactly 24 mins

Will be interesting to see if this leads to some nice new shiny things to ride and turns it around, or if it's the beginning of the end. The initial reaction from shareholders seems to be a resounding 'non'.

Not to be rude about disneyland paris but surely PortAventura is the biggest tourist destination in europe? It is not in debt and seems to be doing very well and has good visitor numbers. Saying that though everyone loves disney dont they

Based solely on attendance figures, Disney is bigger than PA...

However, it's also expensive, and requires people to book far in advance to get the best value (unless you book out of peak season)... DLP's expenditure it probably also a lot larger than PA's...

DLP has also ALWAYS been in debt... Bit of a ridiculous history with it all...

Europa Park is Disney's biggest competitor in Europe. Although it might not take British tourists away from Disney like Port Aventura can do, Europa has the second highest attendance in Europe after Disney.

And even with the falling numbers I'm sure Disney Land Paris is still top of attendance figures in Europe by quite some margin. After all, it is still Disney.

In regards to attendance of parks in Europe, Disneyland park is the most visited themepark in Europe (6th in the world) whilst the Studios is now the 3rd most visited (Europe).

The park took quite a drop in attendance last year (somewhere around 5%) where for the first time ever, Europa park became the 2nd most visited European park. However with the recent addition of the Ratatouiee ride, I can see this years gate figures being on the rise where studios may well retain it's 2nd most visited park status again.

Let's hope this loan/extra funding gives the love,investment and attendance figures it deserves as it does seem to get the mouse's share of investment at the best of times compared to the other parks and it still amazes how despite being the most visited Themepark in Europe, it still has major debt/financial issues 22 years later from opening.

I think the park could greatly benefit from some Superhero attractiones (something of which will sort of happen in the future with the studios retheme) along with a Frozen ride/attraction, I know there opening a ride in Epcot WDW, but it would make sense to add one in Paris considering the films based in Norway and the series is still surprisingly popular nearly a year on.

Euro Disney won't be going anywhere for a while yet, I hope.

There are a few things that can be done to the Magic Kingdom:

• Two new E-Ticket attractions, one in Adventureland (a spot once reserved for a clone of the Indiana Jones Dark Ride) and one in Frontierland. One of these additions should be a water ride (Splash Mountain-esque), but not sure on the other addition.
  • Fantasyland is alright, aside from maybe touching up a few of the attractions within. Perhaps a Little Mermaid or as Creek suggested, a Frozen based attraction to go next door to Small World (where the shortcut pathway to Discoveryland lies).
  • Discoveryland will get Star Tours 2, and is rumoured to have a mini Star Wars area to go with it (where the 4D Cinema is).

As for the Studios, what it needs is a complete redesign like California Adventure got. New entrance, removal of the Tram Tour, hell even remove the Studios theme. There have been rumours that the likes of Armageddon and RnRC will get rethemed to Marvel stuff in the future anyway, whether that'll happen is another matter. What I'd LOVE to see is a new Muppet 4D cinema show to link into the new films actually, in amongst improving the general capacity, design and attraction types in the park itself...

The Studios really is the thing that really needs a real big fixing, Kingdom needs a bit of touching up and some actual new attractions...