The Smiler

th13teen

Having just returned from my 2 day trip up there, all I can say is, for his last creation, John Wardley did one hell of a job.

I don't think I have experienced anything quite like this before and would quite happily queue god knows how long to ride it. The indoor queue with the 3d effects is pretty cool, although the first day I was there, they had a bit of an overuse with the strobe lights!

Fantastic you enjoyed it, but you know John Wardley had quite a small role in The Smiler right? And he wasn't really satisfied with the finished ride either (from a layout perspective)!

Ah...I thought he had a relatively big role in it, but just wasn't happy in the end...Shows how much I know! :blush:

Well...disregard "for his last creation, John Wardley did one hell of a job" and insert "Wow" instead :ph34r:

The way Smiler was done I must admit was very cool with the queue line beneath the ride giving an interesting perspective of the ride with the trains running sometimes centimetres from the guests below. I also find the indoor queue interesting although could do with more air conditioning.

The ride itself for me works as its close to the queue and also how so much track is located in what's actually a rather compact area as well as the twisty inversions which most transition brilliantly.

In terms of my next marmalisation, I may well need to wait many months before my next trip.

It's strange. I'd been looking forward to this project loads, from the day the plans surfaced online, to watching construction, and from seeing the eventual opening. Yet, I'm not overly enticed to go ride the thing. I've managed to keep the indoor section a surprise for me still (surprising in itself actually...), so it's not because I know everything about the ride. The reviews I've read of the ride have been largely positive, and as a lover of Saw, I didn't have any real fears about the ride.

My marmalisation won't take place until next year it seems. It's a shame really, especially as I love Alton, but if I'd been really enticed to go ride Smiler, then I'd have gone all out to get there. I genuinely don't get why I'm not fussed about riding it, but yeah, I'm just not being drawn out there...

I only go to Alton once a year at the mo. I know ive been on The Smiler 3 times already, but I haven't had full marmalisation. I NEED FURTHER TREATMENT! I'm not fully compliant! I need to care for ALL the receptors in my mid-brain! Only then can I become...a SMILING ADVOCATE?

(yes, those WERE pretty much the words of Dr Kelman in 'Smile. Always - Part 3' ;) )

The boards are irrelevant and don't improve the experience for anybody - the same way that reading up the plot synopsis on Wikipedia does not improve your enjoyment of a film.

They aren't irrelevant - they clearly explain (in a fun way) what the marmaliser is actually supposed to do, which could otherwise be lost on people.

Also, you can't argue with a few interesting facts about the ride on display. They are proud of their new ride, and want to make it look better. No harm in that.