The Smiler

th13teen

As we've been told it's a May opening I've decided to go late May or early June - later than I usually do. But then I'm unexpectedly probably going in July too for the first time ever, and probably again in September or October.

The Smiler though, what a name - still struggling to accept it even though I understand the park's logic. :blink:

Is it me or does anyone compare this to Colossus? It's got so many elements and is buried deep into that pit!

I really do compare it to Colossus! If it is the worlds most inversions(which I doubt because the website now says worlds first not world beating) then I will think of it as a saw and Colossus put together :P as much as I want this new ride coming to thorpe park, I don't want Colossus's record taken!

The latest Smiler picture from AT's Twitter page:

539805_478057702253669_668169887_n.jpg

Sorry if I sound overly pessimistic, but I get an uneasy feeling that the opening date will be pushed back even further. The station isn't anywhere near finished, nor is the groundwork at the other end of the layout. Doesn't feel all that promising to me :ph34r:

People need to accept the project is delayed, they have probably totally re-scheduled everything now that they have a target date of May. Whereas before, they were probably rushing, now they can actually do a decent job on it.

Just enjoy the cool pictures! They aren't posting pictures of footers and concrete walls because the average person on their 1.2million followed Facebook page isn't going to be interested in that.

:)

It certainly appears that no further track construction has been done for a few weeks. Which I accept, is confusing.

However, we can only assume that other areas of development have been underway - of which the park aren't going to be posting pictures. I would imagine that the groundwork is pretty much done, so it's just going to be a case of slotting the track into place in the next few weeks.

Slotting the track into place after groundwork? Now that's not often done for obvious reasons, and if they do it that way round then interesting!

A quick search on the Staffordshire Knot has suddenly answered my query. Well designed and thought of. But a simpler name to compliment it would have been better, something as simple as The Knot would be fine.

SCC_logo_RGB.jpg

The fact that on the TV advert mentioning Smiler they say 'New Ride opens May 2013' in the small print makes me think they're confident that it will opening in May.

Of course, some may say 'Well, they must have been confident about it opening in March originally, so that means nothing', but the fact that they accepted it wasn't going to open then makes me hope / think that new schedules that were made would leave plenty of time for the ride to be finished fully - I don't see why they would advertise a new date if they weren't confident of the ride being open then.

In other words, I expect the ride will open in May, no worries.

In time for my birthday then - fantastic.

I was originally one of those at the Winchester having a pint, waiting for the worry of it not opening in March to blow over - however it appears my confidence was completely wrong on that occassion. I myself would think if they rescheduled there should be no problems of it opening then, it's just more and more lately it's been a 2013 opening - so got me thinking